Aesthetix Janus / Calypso

Very happy for you man. Hope it helps to alliviate all the aggravation. Enjoy!

Is it not a source of joy???

Just to follow up thus far. I sent 3 emails and two phone messages about the 300 dollar front panel that was lost at Aesthetix. Zero response over 14 days. So now I call my CC. I am so let down by the response I get ( or lack of ) from Aesthetix. Iā€™d never buy another product from them as the support is so poor. Itā€™s too bad, I had high hopes.

Glad you finally got it back and are enjoying the sound but the customer service story is really disheartening.

1 Like

To compare the Janus against the PSA BHK I actually hear more detail with the Janus and a bit more width and depth in the soundstage. That is also with OEM JJ tubes! I am shocked. The BHK tho has a tad tighter bass, but with tube rolling I should be able to get the Janis to have tighter bass as well.

1 Like

They may not have their marketing act even close to ā€œtogetherā€, but they make a fantastic product. I still constantly have the urge to buy another Calypso. Thereā€™s something about their sound. Maybe itā€™s the rigid dual mono.

RonP, I can say I think I like the Janus in my system a tad better then the amazing BHK preamp. My system seems for balanced, smoother, less edge. Tons of detail with the Janus now with the updates they did. Iā€™m keeping it for sure!

2 Likes

Great news on the sonics! Please keep us updated on the sound as she settles in.

How does it look in person with the black faceplate?
-JP

Nothing in my system is the same since my Calypso was destroyed in the storm. But I do remember thinking it was the one component that I would never part with.
Thereā€™s a local shop that carries Aesthetix and sometimes I think of borrowing one just to compare to what I have.
Enjoy yours after the horrible experience which is now happily behind you.
Ron

I feel the black face looks amazing, I like it alot better than the silver. The rest of gear is mostly black so it fits better too.

Follow up. The Janus sounds and looks amazing in my System. I know it was a pita to get this whole thing finished but wow! I am really thinking of selling my beloved black BHK preamp now!

2 Likes

Hmm, selling the BHK could finance an Eclipse upgradeā€¦just sayin
-JP

After what I went through with them, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be doing any upgrades.

1 Like

I hear ya, I was joking for the most part! Quite the saga you went through, but Iā€™m glad that in the end you have a full function pre that you are loving

Not to rub salt in the wound but I am curious if you got your original faceplate returned, apologies if I missed a post where you mentioned it being returned
-JP

I got the $300.00 back from Black panel, never got the silver back.

I have had the Janus in my system now for weeks. I have to say, I donā€™t think I miss the old preamp I was using. I plan to leave it in play. Plus the built in Phono pre is outstanding!

2 Likes

After 7 months with the Janus, I wanted a new ( old flavor ). Popped the BHK preamp back in play. Mullard NOS 12AU7 tubes. The Janus has a slightly warmer presence, plus better soundstage IMO. Deeper, wider and center image is dead on. The voices seem a tad more natural too on the Janus. So I was thinking maybe time to let the BHK go?? Just so hard to say goodbuye. LOL

D, get your hands on a pair of NOS Cifte 12AU7ā€™s for the BHKā€¦and your mind will blow.
Upscale used to sell them but are sold out. they appear on the used market occasionallyā€¦totally transformed my listening experience.

what tubes are you using on the Aesthetix? I have a pair of NOS Mullard 12AX7s in my Calypso and, while the 6922ā€™s need replacingā€¦I think I need a different set of 12AX7;sā€¦not blowing my mind. lol

1 Like

In the BHK Preamp the 12AU7 RCA Clear Top sound decent too. Lots of detail. The Mullard CV4003 are really good.

OEM tubes in the Janus.