Amp for Infinity RS 4.5

I recently acquired a pair of Infinity RS 4.5s, and they appear to be in really great condition. Sounded fantastic when I demoed them.

As with most things in life the, acquisition came at the worst time. We are in-between houses at the moment, full timing in our camper until the new house is finished. So they wait in a very nice climate controlled storage unit.

Now I get to sit up nights wondering what my new system will sound like, and I am concerned my old amps won’t cut it.

Currently, I have a pair of Adcom GFA-555ii’s available to power the speakers. I am looking at the PS Audio M700’s as price is a rather large factor at this time. I would like to look at the M1200s, but I think I am priced out right now.

My concern is the low impedance the Watkins woofers are known for. On these particular speakers I have read impedance can get below 2 ohms.

So my questions are can the m700 handle the low impedance? Will they provide enough power for these speakers? And if anyone has experience with these speakers please reach out, I would love to learn from others experience.

Thanks

Welcme bavk @Csells5
M700 should perform well at 2 Ohms. I used them with 3 ohm / 84 db/wm speakers with great results.

I had M700s until I bought the M1200s. The M700s replaced a GFA-555 that was powering my 3.7is. The M700s were a big improvement over the Adcom and drove the Magnepans with no problems. If there’s anyway you can swing the M1200s you would never regret it. That said, if I’d never heard the M1200s I’d have been happy with the M700s for years to come.

1 Like

Thank you do your replies. Just what I needed to hear.
Found a used pair of m700’s on the market place and should be here soon.

Still got some time until the new house is ready.
Will post an update when it’s all together!..in September…

Wish I could have done the m1200’s, may be able to demo them in a year or so and hope I don’t hear too much of a difference!
My wife isn’t exactly thrilled on how much I spend on this hobby.

1 Like

All the best. Please tell us how it goes. Good luck managing things at home.

None of the ps audio amplifier I have had on my Infinity has played well.
It is, of course, taste and pleasure

1 Like

A little surprising, since I believe the man who designed the BHK 300’s also designed some of the electronics in those Infinity RS speakers.

They are not designed for Infinity. One has to be careful about pulling oneself in that direction for the sole reason you are writing. Use google to find out which amplifier other Infinity owner uses. There is also a box with, it gives noise and hum with BHK on all my boxes with the BHK 300 … now be careful not to burn the box off.

They are not designed for Infinity. One has to be careful about pulling oneself in that direction for the sole reason you are writing. Use google to find out which amplifier other Infinity owner uses. There is also a box with, it gives noise and hum with BHK on all my boxes with the BHK 300 … now be careful not to burn the box off.

If you are on Facebook, there are several forums
Infinity speaker and out on the net are there too…

https://www.facebook.com/Infinity-Speaker-138785116203783

https://www.davidsaudio.com/html/infinity_variants.html

http://www.infinity-classics.de/models/Reference-series-1+b-2-10+A+B-1981-86/index-Reference.htm

1 Like

I am on vintage Infinity forums. I am also aware of the hum experienced by other Infinity users when using unbalanced connections, which is why I’ve publicly recommended using the BHK amps for the top end (EMIT and EMIM) bypassing the SCU. Since the top end of the SCU for most models is essentially a pass through (other than an impedance selector), depending on your equipment, you may be able to run balanced connections to the BHK’s for the top end. You would have to match the levels since the balanced connections would be at a higher level. Since I have Epsilon’s, none of this is an issue because the SCU has balanced connectors.

See links were now more for the boy who has 4.5 … We will never use BHK for the infinity you have.

Have you tried the BHK 300’s with the Epsilon’s?

1 Like

It’s taste and pleasure … We never agree on that. It’s good you’re happy.

1 Like

One of the first 10 sets built in 1982. We had to place the basses incorrectly in that room, but with a great result. There are 2 B&O beta ^ICEpower’s amplifier power modules for the bass behind the speakers. That time we rebuilt the crossovers and box on both 1b and beta, it was some junk. By the way, we got the pieces from Arni Nudel.

Are these the modules PS audio uses today?
https://icepower.dk/

1 Like

If you are happy with your taste, then that’s all that matters.

1 Like

The servo system must have at least 600 watts / 8 ohms and a doubling at 4ohm etc. It’s some old servo lol :wink: