Anybody here tried the Shiit Loki Max equalizer?

Given the issues of badly recorded albums of music I like…have been considering
a preamp with tone controls …until I found out about this unit.

Has anyone here used one of these? if so what are your thoughts

https://www.schiit.com/products/loki-max

loki max front 1920|666x500

Thanks

Best wishes

2 Likes

It would be great fun to play with it.

2 Likes

It is a very attractive prospect - if I were to describe the ideal analogue HiFi EQ, this would be pretty close :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! This looks neat!

1 Like

I have the original Loki which I had in the system until I upgraded my amp, and haven’t had a need for it since.

But it’s suprisingly good. I know @Paul will tell you that spending this little on a tone control is a recipe for introducing noise into the system, and at a higher level than mine that may well be absolutely correct, not saying it isn’t in any way, but on my fairly mid range setup, I was amazed how good it is.

Schiit really are extremely good.

4 Likes

My cousin, who is a decades-long audiophile, has one in his system and says it’s great. It doesn’t cause any degradation of sound quality when in bypass mode, according to him.
It’s been on my buy list for the very same reason… being able to enjoy poorly recorded music as much as possible.

2 Likes

The introduction of noise is a concern…but how bad could that be
in light of what the eq itself could accomplish,

Food for thought anyway…

Thanks
Best wishes

I had a Loki a few years ago and I liked playing around with it.
Based on earlier comments, I do not remember it introducing any audible noise into my system; I would remember that annoyance.
I liked it in my system then. It was fun to play with. But as my system has evolved, it (any equalizer) became a liability rather than a benefit.
All that said, I’m a huge fanboy of Schiit products. For $149. try one.

4 Likes

For $149.00 why not…but for $1499.00 thinking required…only a 15 day
trial …not much time…

My system has evolved a bit as well…and might just have to out up with
the nasties of bad recordings

Best wsihes

If I like the music, I can put up with a crappy recording. Everything doesn’t need to be perfect.

2 Likes

Ain’t that the case…myself as well

Best wishes

I have the little Loki as well and hook it up via the loop feature of the Peachtree NOVA150 and I love it. I am not hearing any noise and it helps me take the bass out of the front speakers and let the bass come through the sub. My version of the poor mans HPF crossover.

2 Likes

Thanks…which of the Lokis do you have?

Best wishes

Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in Texas and California

I have this little puppy

3 Likes

You sure weren’t kidding about tiny…wow
Thanks

Best wishes

Small but mighty. Its professionally built, feels solid, works well and you can disable it with the little button on the right. Shiit says that leaving it powered on even if you disable feature is better for not introducing any sound, so I leave it on all the time.

3 Likes

Love, love, love the Peachtree.

1 Like

I bought a Lokius for the desktop but demo’d it in the main system desktop. Based on a good experience I bought Loki Max but surprisingly didn’t care for it and returned it within days. I’d been drooling over one for the longest time but I just didn’t like it.
I have a low tolerance for extraneous noise. Though it didn’t seem to introduce any noise during playback the motorized pots, besides being slow and difficult to see from a distance, made a loud popping sound when they’d stop at their memory programmed positions. It was just a bit klunky and the lack of center detents didn’t help.
I also didn’t seem to get the same kind of audible benefits (a little extra heft with the lower 2 bands and a little more air with the upper 2) I’d heard using the Lokius. That maybe because the Loki Max effects are non linear and I didn’t dial in enough to hear. At that point I also may have already been biased against it.
I’m a Schiit fan and have a good amount of their gear I won’t be parting with anytime soon. This one just didn’t sit well with me but I suspect most will give it more of a chance.
Edit: correcting auto correct

Don’t forget to add in the cost of another pair of decent cables when calculating the value of the unit.

2 Likes

So true