Anyone actually use (hardware) EQs? Who uses eq boxes, and what do you use please?

…and by that I mean an EQ that’s in a box of its own, whether it be analogue or digital (though preferably with controls on the front panel, rather than laptop-confgurable only).

Genuine question, we know they have (big) issues, but my speakers sure ain’t perfect, and I’m not about to start using different cables as a tone control (waay too expensive for one, and unpredictable for another).

I’ve looked around and there seems to be very few: Schitt Loki looks nice (but tiny!), Cello Palletes are horribly expensive second hand (but that’s the kinda thing I’m talking about - a 6 band Loki would be about right I think).
The “pro audio” market has some of course, and I would be happy with those, but again it’s difficult to find an “audiophile” review of “pro” audio gear, since most audiophiles sniff at a lot of “pro” audio gear (even Mr. McGowan has done so in “Paul’s Posts”, and I get it, different design criteria).

So I thought I’d ask you learned and experienced lot :slight_smile:

So - who uses eq boxes, and what do you use please?

I’m currently using a Behringer DEQ2496, very good and flexible in some respects (though I don’t think the algorithms are particularly fancy inside it), the analogue stages let it down somewhat though.

(also please don’t tell me why I shouldn’t :slight_smile: )

I use the Decware ZROCK2. I love it. I have two, one in my audio visual system (which is the base model) and one in my main audio system (which has all the mods available). It’s not exactly what you are looking for, but may be just what you need? It was for me.

This component “fixed” my system, addressing my biggest problem with the sound and enhancing the sound in ways I didn’t think it would need to be. I used to be a “keep it simple stupid” system builder but that led me into a corner, and the ZROCK2 was one of the components that got me out of the corner long before the paint dried. (The other was the Decware ZBIT, which allows me to use the extra volts from the DSD’s balanced output, my system desperately needed more than the single-ended output provided.)

I’ve only seen two of these show up in the used market and they sold within a day each time. Waiting time for a new build can be up to three months. . . that’s the only caveat I would add with this recommendation.

In a way this device lets you be your own mastering engineer and tailor the sound the way you wish. And it responds very well to tube rolling, tube rolling in this has led me on fun audio journeys.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZROCK.html

3 Likes

I use a Rives PARC for the bottom end, all analogue and the best sounding solution for me to tame my bass.

I have used all the Behringer products, so I won’t tell you why you shouldn’t.

1 Like

I have several Schiit Loki’s they work great. I have 2 extra if you are interested I see you have been a member of the PS audio forum for a while so I will give you a good deal.
Let me know if you decide to go the Schiit route.

4 Likes

The PARC is analog? I thought it’s a DSP unit.

Although I‘m happy I don’t need such a device in the setup, I’m always enthusiastic when I read about it again on the webpage. They really care for music lovers‘ problems. I’d immediately try it before living with problems that are otherwise hard to resolve. Great stuff.

Another here with the Schiit Loki, it’s very basic, but as always build quality is superb and there’s absolutely no noise generation on the signal line. For the price it’s an absolute steal.

I only use it on some bottom light recordings, mostly 80’s records that I felt were never presented as they could have been.

2 Likes

I agree it’s a good product, and it’s very easy to make adjustments The knobs are not sensitive at all so Tuning it in just right is very easy.

3 Likes

Unfortunately truly good EQ units are expensive. See, e.g., here.

The trick is to not only meet one’s budget, but to find a unit which does more good than harm.

I strongly recommend staying away from Behringer products. They literally are design rip-offs of better equipment, such as that made by Mackie, built down to the lowest possible price with the cheapest parts and construction available. They possess poor sound, functional compromises, other bad things. But again, if the the downsides of using one of their units is exceeded by the good, go with it.

1 Like

Yes, all analogue, just 3 parametric bands below 350 hz for each channel.

Getting the bass right is so essential…as right as possible :wink:

4 Likes

Absolutely.

And it is the most difficult.

3 Likes

I have always wanted to try out a Massive Passive.

Those look serious!

Indeed, some of those look rather nice :slight_smile:
I know the Behringer gear has some limitations, but not only does it fit my budget, it’s the only one I’ve found with a decent display (the RTA is particularly useful if you are aware of it’s inaccuracy at the bottom end, for example).
I’d keep it as a stub on the signal chain even if unused just for the RTA. I have the DCX also, but in both cases I paid the extra less-than-a-tenner for the 4 year warranty, based on their reputation for poor hardware :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aye they look nice (but so small!!). I’m in the UK, so unless you are too I would have to pass on your kind offer, I’ve been a member for a while I guess, and lurked for a lot longer before that working my way through 6 years of Paul’s Daily Posts :wink:

Some nice suggestions and leads here, thanks folks :slight_smile:

Just to let you know, Schiit have a European distibutor based in Germany so you don’t have to pay import rates.

http://www.schiit.co.uk/

1 Like

Just wish they were balanced…

3 Likes

I am in the us.

1 Like