The Grimm MU2

I believe it is worthwhile to talk about the Grimm MU2. It appears to be an unusual standout as an audio device. Last night I watched this video:

https://youtu.be/E4hy4a91Ov8?si=mp9rwaMLFgB3SIbk

I found it very interesting.

10 Likes

It is certainly interesting that after 40 years or so computer based music playback can keep improving.
That machine could / would replace a few other devices and end up with a better sounding system.

3 Likes

One of our members here is hoping to replace a few pieces of gear with an MU2 and finally be able to enjoy Streaming. I have zero doubt he will be pleased, Eelco Grimm is so calm about it all. It’s just Math to him.

4 Likes

I think the current flock of super stereo geeks in that area are the descendants of people who were part of the Phillips electronics group.

Yes it’s just mathematicians doing mathematician things but us mere mortals are the beneficiaries.

And as Martha would say that is a good thing.

3 Likes

This thread was inevitable.

5 Likes

Holy Yeppers Batman! One word about a 1000 times inn 20 minutes . Yep plus the other Grimm video they published. Leaves you appreciative of Hans B.

1 Like

Yeah. The Brother Grimm goes into the weeds a bit on how a silly half a bit more, plus a ton of math to bury noise in places we can’t hear, can yield a DAC that expresses music that we don’t call digital.
However it’s done (and this is the fourth review I’ve read resulting in yet a vague understanding) it seems to get one closer to the Holy Grail. It does reinforce my bias that few audio improvements are made by discovery but rather through hard work followed by testing, and then more work. Spending a lot of time doing the math, like Ted and Grimm, does not fit easily in a cost effective production model. Much easier to pay for a very high quality off the shelf chip to do the processing.
But we all want the magic, and those who have heard an FPGA written, and re-written, like in the PSA DAC, have heard the improvements. And we always want more. I’m all for those few companies that can write code and re-arrange bits till the cows come home. It’s all in the processor, and I want mine to go to
eleven.

8 Likes

It will be interesting to see if Grimm does upgrades to their DAC in the future like PS Audio does. Chord makes FPGA DACs but never offers updates. Curious.

5 Likes

The video I posted here was of particular interest to me. Every review of the DAC portion of the MU2 has been extremely positive. But I am curious as to why. Eelco published a White Paper on the design process. Reading it made me think “This I have to hear!!”. Soon enough I will.

5 Likes

Grimm reminds me a lot of Galen. The science drives the end product and every step of the way is reproducible and provable both with math and testing.

My Pink Faun was in that spot when I bought it 4 years ago. It is still as good as it ever was but.:thinking:

Interesting stuff. Smaller, lighter, faster, better.

4 Likes

The Pink Faun is endgame quality. No need to change. Using the MU2 with Bacch is not easy. You are covered.

3 Likes

Yes the ole’ PF “ain’t going nowhere” as the good ole boys would say.

It has run flawlessly 24/7 for the most part of 4 years. Unplugged for 10 months while we made the move and then picked right up where it left off.

Quietly doing it’s thing with no user input required. :grin:

4 Likes

I believe you are correct. I look forward to Part 2, the analog aspect of the MU2, especially curious as to the power supply and grounding particulars for the MU2.

1 Like

Yes Grimm was interesting and i could follow. The reviewer was a hoot only saying yep yep. But one would not want to ask a stupid question

Interesting that Hans recommended not hosting Roon on the MU2 saying the i3 stuttered though Grimm was selling it as capable and adequate.

1 Like

Wow. That surprises me.
I was interested that Eelco flat out said that the server streamer portion did not change from the MU1 to the MU2. I have been using my MU1 as long as anyone and I have yet to have a shudder with it. Other than the issues caused by the BACCH. Do to my use of BACCH I may use my MU1 as a streamer, feeding the BACCH, which will feed the MU2 as a upsampler magic enhancer + DAC. I am also going to patch the MU2 straight into the preamp so I can try that sans BACCH.

I need to get caught up with Hans I guess. I think at parties Hans sits in a chair, and talks just like he does on his videos. Probably not sports.

3 Likes

I recall Hans saying that with a very large library of files Roon runs much better and is more responsive on an i7 NUC on his network compared to the i3 server provided on the Grimm. Not really surprising.

2 Likes

I have an 8TB library. I have it broken down into five groups so each one is not too many files. My baby Grimm MU1 had zero issues adding the files to the Library. I did one main folder at a time. Audirvana on the other hand could not do the job, no matter what. Once the library is in place there is very little processing power required. An I3 can run Roon and send the data out a probably be at 1% to 5% processor day in and day out.

I have a Pink Faun server with an I7 in it. I was using that as a Roon Server for awhile and the MU1 as a Roon Endpoint. I could not hear any advantage at all for doing this. And I have never once experienced a problem with the MU1 as far as stops and starts or stuttering.

There are some who believe more powerful processors are noisier. There are some who believe one should get the biggest processor you can get. I am not one of those. I monitor system load on my servers. I wouldn’t spend a dime to upgrade the I3 in the MU1 to an I5, I7, or I9. There is no advantage as far as I can tell. YMMV.

3 Likes

This is the first time I have seen a Grimm MU1 on TMR with a 8tb drive inside. Seems like a deal but the MU2 is out.

2 Likes

My take away from Hans was he qualified it for large libraries, but I may have confused it with another reviewer. For an all in one package it provides for a compelling solution.

2 Likes

That’s a fine price considering, but the MU2 may have pulled the rug out from under the MU1, as has the DSD Mk II for the Mk I. No surprise.

2 Likes