Anybody using Isoacoustics GAIA isolation for speakers?

In the video Paul posted, I don’t feel it’s a real AB test. Speakers are in different positions in the room by 24-28" or more. Also the speakers are slightly taller with the ISO feet. Just my thoughts. Paul yours?

I’ve used Gaias under my Davone Rithms for years, and the improvement is nothing less than remarkable, at least on my hard ceramic tile (my rug stops just short of the speaker feet). I’ve since added the Oreas to my DirectStream Jr. (huge improvement again), and then to my Bel Canto integrated (only a minor improvement).

Agree with Darren that the test in the video is imperfect, but nonetheless, the difference in sound quality is about what one should expect from the Gaias, in my experience.

1 Like

I made a point of moving around, up and down, to verify that the differences I was hearing were not due to setup and felt pretty good about that. If I had had more time I would asked him to switch the cables.

Beautiful!

Sounds like you did the Paul dance :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t realize that. Interesting. I may buy these for my PBS Imagine T3 towers. I’ll get the Gaia II so I can use under my PS mono’s if I decide to use somewhere else down the road. Like when I get the ANII’s!!

Actually, take a closer look…while the speakers are in different positions, each set is balanced the same. That is, one set uses speaker positions 1 and 3, the other uses 2 and 4. That’s the best way I can describe it. It’s not speaker positions 1 and 4 and 2 and 3, and the room seems balanced so it is effectively a balanced test in the context of the setup.

1 Like

I wonder if speaker weight and construction affects how well isolation devices work. I know they have different devices depending on speaker weight but my speakers (Wilson Sophia 3’s), for example, weigh 165 lbs each and are very rigid and would seem less prone to induced vibrations.

Steve, Nope, it just means the frequency that you get the motion is just lower than a lighter speaker. So the smear happens at a lower frequency, that’s all.

1 Like

I think the type of floor they sit on will be a larger factor. A concrete slab vs. raised wood floor, very different resonant frequencies, secondarily the speaker cabinet/weight impact.

1 Like

Thanks Streets. I wonder how much lower?

Brett, I thought about the floor factor. Mine is sprung wood. (My house used experimental construction–pre-cast concrete walls with wood floors on metal braces. Built in 1913.) The floor is not quite trampoline-like but if I jump up and down my turntable will skip.

My floor is raised, less than 1/2" thick, oak after refinishing, 1952 build. It’s nice and flexy on the old bones but contributes a nice boomy nature to sub 100Hz.

My 45lbs stand mounts, including stands, benefited quite significantly. Much tighter, more articulate bass.

I bought the Gaia III from Crutchfield, liberal 60 day returns. I bought a open box sets, of course they appear completely new and won’t be going back.

2 Likes

I also considered the surface, room, and speakers themselves. I would only buy them with a money back policy if I find little to no difference. 600.00 bucks to too much on a chance…

I watched video again, the ISO Focal are sitting taller which changes the plane of the tweeters and mids. If the speakers were at the same height I may have been less spectacle. My speakers sit on a 1.5" granite slab on spikes with discs.

I have the Gaia IIs under my Martin Logan Expression 13a’s and experienced the same benefits that others reported - better imaging, tighter bass. FWIW, I also tried Isoacoustics pucks under my ML subs and I was shocked at how bad they impacted the sound. I thought I had blown a woofer, but all I had to do was remove the pucks and everything returned to normal. So as always, your mileage may vary, and these do appear to be very component dependent, but the isolators are definitely staying under my electrostat towers, and definitely not staying under my subs.

I also looked at the Townshend products, but they were rather pricey and used up more floor space, which is at a premium in my room.

1 Like

How would speaker cone movement affect the vibrational issues of the cabinet itself? Do the GAIA’S help reduce the horizontal shear stress effects within the cabinet also? What about airborne vibrational sound waves hitting the cabinetry? There seems to be more than floor feedback happening in any given room setup of speaker system installs…

So do we believe there is any consensus on the type of floor that would benefit the most from the Gaia’s? Carpet vs Hardwood vs Stone? Concrete slab vs wood sub floor and joists?

My gut would tell me that carpeted wood floors would benefit the most, but the RMAF demo room, being in a hotel, I would imagine to have a pretty solid concrete slab underneath a close pile carpet, so I wonder…

My own room is on the ground floor, concrete slab, with limestone tiles. My B&W Matrix 804’s sit on Soundcare Superspikes for stability and isolation. I wonder if the Gaia’s would improve upon this or not.

Dan W.

If you watch the video I linked on today’s Paul’s Posts you will understand that the basic idea of that concept works on all grounds. But I think this concept mainly or best works for speakers.

So are these things (GAIA II’s specifically) priced at $300 or $600 per set of 4? I’ve seen both prices in on-line write-ups?

Someone in the Paul’s Post thread mentioned they bought some at the RMAF and paid ~$500 (with 20 % show discount). I’m assuming he bought two sets. Elsewhere on line, I see $600 / set.

Thanks

Thanks, Jazznut.