AT&T glass

Got itI Digital stream :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Rob_W the “negotiation” of which you speak should be happening quite rarely actually, relatively speaking. What you see speak of between your router and your computer is the latency settling down into steady state from startup. But after that, it’s constant.

Again it depends on jitter. You may have great download speed but if you have high jitter you’ll see some stutters possibly, but even that should be taken care of with the buffer.

There are some apps that measure jitter on your line. You can check with them.

I used to live a 1/2 mile from google hq in Silicon Valley and I had high jitter on my line even though I had gigabit fiber.

1 Like

Is this expensive if it replaces the effort for otherwise galvanically isolate things like in the Airlens?

I don’t know exactly what they did in the Airlens, but the ST transceivers are only a part of a working system and high-speed optical isolation isn’t nearly as expensive as the ST transceivers.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m still not deep enough in the thinking of production costs to fully get that 40$ in a high end component (even if it’s just part of the whole) means high cost :wink:

My old EAD stuff had ST glass. The best connection ever, unless you’re @tedsmith in which case any of them sound good. :smile: But ST glass was and probably still can be a great interface.

For many companies you can multiply the cost of a component by 6 to 8 to get a rough idea of the price delta on the final product. Then you also need to consider if some other set of equivalent cost components can get a better result.

[Edit:] I should note that no single component comes without a need for some other components and sometimes that’s not cheap either.

3 Likes

Meant to say - Obligatory XKCD…

Edit - posted before no doubt :slight_smile:

3 Likes