Bad review of PS P12

I thought about that, but they really dont do reviews over there. more like a true forum. A bit snobby for me, but not really a review site, so I figured it was ASR.

I think the ASR does not credit consumers with being able to make judgements based on listening and other factors (reliability, styling, price, etc.). He just assumes we are all completely smitten by the next best thing that crosses our path. Well, I have a product in my hallway to be collected tomorrow, being returned after a home demo and I’m not buying it.

Many people take on this condescension and multiply by 100.

Yes indeed he is referring to AudioGon. The guy is a hoot, but not to be taken literally. I have spoken to him several times, slightly unhinged, but fun all the same. When I spoke to him he was big on class D amplification, which was not my thing. From my conversation, I’d not purchase from him. Same thing with Jay from Jay’s Audio, lab. Jay also posts on the Yellow website, AudioGon, for entertainment purposes, he can be a bit of a hoot as well. I would not make a purchase based on any of the online websites, or audio rags for that matter, preferring to work with local dealers. An initial listening session at an Audio Salon can be most beneficial when attempting to chart a course.

2 Likes

While I agree with most of this, for a happy P5 owner, this article does pose the question as to whether PS Audio has ever published proper measurements of its own spec… (the engineer in me wishes to know) it’s a question the author suggests we ask.

So PSAudio how about it? Do we get to see a properly measured graph from you or any other major audiophile power product manufacturer out there?

If the THD is lower on the output then it is on the input, and voltage is stablized on the output as evidence by the graphs available online and on the front display of the regenerator, what more do you want?

3 Likes

How do you measure a reduction in impedance? Half the problem is that it seems to vary on your incoming mains and how far you stereo is from the incoming supply.

ASR do have a point that a UPS does lots of good things, like offering protection and stable voltage, I use several of them for computers and servers, but they would likely strangle a high powered amplifier.

Problem is, Paul’s often over-enthusiastic marketing verbiage is a red rag to a bull when the bull is the ASR type. My experience is that regenerators have a place depending on system and incoming mains. Plugging in a SMPS isn’t going to fix the SMPS noise, and the better Class D units are unlikely to benefit because their designs HAVE to address power supply issues. Most of the ones I know of (Hypex, Devialet, Linn, Primare) are patented designs.

I think Fremer’s experience with his mains supply, switching between conditioning and regeneration, is illustrative of the suck-and-see approach.

ASR probably do have point that there is probably someone out there who thinks a regenerator can make their wall wart sound better.

So…if you add up all of the “points” the review made you learn what, exactly, about the efficacy of the P12 for its intended purpose? [rhetorical tone/posture intended.]

My comment is related to the problem with most, if not all, of the handful of Amir’s “reviews” I have read. I am left thinking of the adage, “Great answer, wrong question.”

FWIW.

I agree. Learned nothing at all from the man who sets himself out as the White Knight on some sort of crusade to save audiophiles from themselves.

3 Likes

I have never bought a piece of audio gear based on the measurements (I am not sure who does). It was always based on my listening, and do I like the look admittedly (even more importantly to the boss of the house). So, if I like the sound of a piece that has the worst measurements? I don’t care really.

So Kamil21…

Do you own a regen?

If you do, then compare in coming thd vs outgoing thd…
That alone will tell you Amir and ASR are mistaken…

Most important…what do your ears tell you…
The hobby is not about numbers…but do you enjoy
your music through your gear…

Best wishes…

2 Likes

I’m not a regular reader of ASR and, therefore, have no opinion of Amir. I read the OP’s linked article as the topic appealed to the EE in me. I am a big fan of PSA gear owning the BHK Pre/300s, PST, DSD (and a Sprout for good measure :slight_smile: ). Based on a recommendation from Darren a year or so ago, I also own a P20 (upgraded from a P12). I LOVE the sound of my system; nothing I read in the article changes that. All this is to say is that the engineer in me is still curious “why?” Clearly, the parameters tested/compared by ASR don’t explain it. Some have suggested that impedance characteristics could be (at least part) of the explanation. It would be interesting/helpful for the PSA guys to weigh in on “the rest of the story” as to what it is about the regenerator designs that provides the unquestionable improvement in SQ? I have no desire to change the opinions of the ASR faithful; like us, they are free to spend their funds based on whatever criteria they choose. Nonetheless, knowing more about what is responsible for the P12/15/20 magic would be very satisfying.

3 Likes

I came across that review last night while looking for some internal photos of the P12. It gave me some laughs, and I’m thankful for that :laughing:
I read reviews on ASR for laughs, not when making purchase decisions. If I made my decisions based on reviews on ASR, I would have saved sooo much money!

One of the many problems I have with reviews on that website is they focus too much on measurements. While I believe measurements are useful, there are some things that cannot be measured yet. For example, what measurements do we look at for changes in soundstage width, depth, and height; or what measurement determines how “digital” a DAC sounds? I put more weight on reviews that put emphasis on listening.

I only skimmed through the review, but I don’t think the reviewer even did listening tests, or mention what his environment is.

I recently got a P12 (thanks James for the help!) and it definitely made an improvement in my system and environment. I live an a large apartment complex with 300 units, and the building I’m in has 12 units. The improvement it made in my system was pretty obvious to me, even before burn-in (less than 5 hours plugged in).

2 Likes

What is lacking in the information provided here^? Sincere question…

TIA.

4 Likes

Thanks scotte1, the description you linked supports the earlier assertion that the regenerator’s lower output impedance is a major factor on improved SQ. I went back to the original ASR article and did a word search on “impedance” - the term is never used… My curiosity itch has been scratched - thanks!

3 Likes

Here is my, somewhat uninformed, take on the benefits of PSA’s regenerators:

1. Starting with a lower THD via the regenerating amplifier in the kit provides the POTENTIAL for a lower noise floor and a “better” aural experience.

2. If you have problematic (read, “noisy”) power supplies and poor isolation from sources of noise from outside the power supply in your kit (plugged into the regenerator), then I expect the benefits of the regenerated power could be mitigated - potentially to the point of a wash (i.e., there being no audible benefit); at lease with regard to the offending, noisy component

3. For amplifiers, the benefits of a lower impedance should allow the amplifiers to work “less hard”. How this translates into a better sound, I am not quite sure about. In theory (I don’t have any amplifiers plugged into a regenerator) less “baseline amplifier work” should allow for a sense of ease and more dynamic (transient) capabilities due to the fact that the amplifier essentially has more reserves than it would have otherwise.*

*According to Paul McGowan:

The lower the AC impedance feeding high-end audio equipment the better each piece sounds. And when the entire system is fed with low impedance power the results can often be breathtakingly better. [Source: Lowering impedance – PS Audio]

My understanding (someone please correct me if I am wrong) is this potential improvement is possible with amplifiers, in particular, because the lower the impedance, the more current will flow for a given voltage and the louder a speaker will play. It makes sense to me that this more efficient use of “power” could result in a cleaner, less noisy/strained sound at a given volume due to the fact that the amplifier does not have to push so hard to get the desired output. (I am sure I probably got a lot of this wrong. :man_shrugging:)

Sincerely yours,

A non-electrical engineer.

It’s like putting a supercharger on your car. There is instant increased power whenever you need it.

Are his testing, measurements, and suppositions legit? Is he doing something wrong or manipulating the results? I know PSA has analyzers and test equipment as well.
I’m satisfied with the performance of the P20 and two P15 in my primary rig. But it would give peace of mind for this not to linger in the air without a PS Audio to rebuttal to the accusation.

1 Like

These threads are always interesting to me. So are you all saying that his measurement equipment is faulty? I honestly don’t get it, we are looking at measurements.

I own both a P20 and a P15. Do I believe it made an audible difference? Yes. Do I believe bias made me believe it sounded better? Absolutely.

1 Like

I think the “yellow site” he was referring to was Audiogon.

It would be nice to see PS Audio produce even the tiniest bit of measured results to debunk ASR’s evidence, and to demonstrate the real value of the Power Plant. However, considering there’s never been any in all these years, I’m not hopeful.