Baseball-holics anonymous

One day later that is…big win today; but listened to the game on the radio on the way back to East Tennessee instead of enjoying it at the Friendly Confines.

1 Like

Justin Steele cued up for W number 10 today, I hope. And how about Belli? I saw his two Bellibombs on Friday. Grand slammer yesterday. He’s raised his BA to .305. Cody’s naysayers can have a seat, now.

That was about all the Cubs could muster on Friday night. It was still great to be there though…until the threatening weather rolled in. We left in the top half of the 8th and got out of the neighborhood before the rain started.

It would be great if the cubs could make a run here in July and convince management to spend some money/make some moves before the trade deadline, but I just don’t know if they have enough hitters and middle relief to get the job done.

I like our chances this afternoon with JS on the mound.

Cheers.

1 Like

Exactly what I did. I was watching the radar. When that big red blob just to the West of us showed up I was on the train back to home territory in Streeterville in a hurry.

1 Like

The North Siders have reeled off 7 wins in a row!

Yesterday’s win against the Cardinals was particularly satisfying, with that bottom of the 9th excitement.

Hope they can stay in playoff contention…

1 Like

Careful Cubbies fans, Lucy setting you up again!

2 Likes

Go Cubs go!

1 Like

Don’t recall an offensive streak quite like the last dozen games or so…

Gonna enjoy it while it lasts…

1 Like

Am MLB First!

1 Like

Late coming back to the thread. Probably because … I was in St. Louis at Busch Stadium Friday and Saturday. There to root for our Cubbies. I saw Mike Tauchman pull off one of the great defensive plays of the season. Busch Stadium was rocking with ecstatic Cubbies fans. We were out in force, both Friday and Saturday. As for the Lucy quip, you know what? Whatever. Nobody, certainly I, didn’t think a team just now emerging from a horrid complete rebuild would even be better than .500 this year. That’s right, if a team that was totally torn down and rebuilt over the previous two years finishes >.500 this season I will not be disappointed if they don’t go to post-season. What we’ve seen is the rebuild will be a success and they will be contenders next season for sure. Good enough and Go Cubs Go!

1 Like

Beats the heck out of a June Swoon or a July Slide!

1 Like

Absolutely. I was, um, amused being surrounded by thousands of Cards fans Friday and Saturday whining incessantly about how badly they suck. We Cubs fans just grinned with satisfaction.

1 Like

I lived in St. Louis for the better part of 8 years…great baseball (sports) town.

Was fortunate enough to experience the Greatest Show on Turff/Martz Madness and the Sosa/McGwire home run title chase in person so to speak.

1 Like

If the rumored White Sox move to Nashville happens, you can count me out of baseball for good. I’ll probably keep my 2005 team memorabilia, but everything else goes on eBay or into the trash. You want to betray my lifelong fandom that way, MLB, I’ll find something else to do with my summers. I hear there’s this new thing where they kick a ball on a field for about 12 hours to get to scores like 1-0.

Seriously though, money has destroyed NASCAR for me, College Football (The Big 10 indeed), Indy Car, and now, maybe, baseball. I guess I’ll just spend time listening to music instead.

5 Likes

At least big money hasn’t ruin audiophilia. lol

3 Likes

You got me there, @1cdfoley; I can always count on you to keep me grounded.

“Don’t waste your money on a new pair of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers, next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways, it’s still rock and roll to me.”

1 Like

Same. I was at Scott AFB then. I told my coworkers they should try and keep me because the StL teams won when I was there.

1 Like

Everybody on the forum knows I’m Cubbies 24/7, through and through. That said, the rumors of the Sox moving to Nashville, if it happens, would be a crushing blow to the Chicago sports scene. That North Side/South Side rivalry is one of the most storied in baseball. I hope the team reconsiders, but the ground is shifiting for sure in Soxland with the firing of Williams and Hahn. At a minimum, a purge of the FO is under way.

1 Like

And a long overdue FO change. But the threat of a move to force the city to replace a perfectly great stadium is my break point. GR Field is a great place to see a game. If the city was unwilling to build to keep the freaking Bears (Chicago is a Bears town, first, foremost, and always; they’d have happily never had a Michael Jordan if the Bears had been great for his career period), the Sox are as good as gone.

1 Like

I’ve been enjoying the Little League WS on ESPN. That Venezuela vs. Curacao game was INSANE. Here’s a link to 12 minutes of highlights:

MLB-wise, my goodness is Kerry Carpenter for the Tigers hot right now. Check it: