Belden ICONOCLAST Interconnects and Speaker Cabling

Tony, we were not informed of the availability of “table” exhibitors at the Florida show. We would be interested if available.

Bob

Reach out to Mike Bovaird at Suncoast Audio

1 Like

Good Morning, I met with Mike when Iconoclast was still at Belden. I visited his impressive showroom in Lakewood Ranch/Sarasota, FL with a handful of speaker cables. At the time Mike had 3-separate listening areas from modest to obscene cost levels.

Mike was kind enough to listen to Series I speaker cables in TPC and then in SPTPC. Mike felt that the SPTPC cables were excellent and even on par with his current flagship cable line that cost multiples more and since Axpona was just around the corner, requested a meeting with Galen and I to discuss possibilities.

Galen and I had lunch with Mike at the show hotel. Mike shared with Galen and I that our product line lacked the wow factor “bling” that he considered important in selling high-end expensive cables. He was concerned that we had no visible marketing efforts as the Belden website was a dead end and provided zero narrative. Mike left Galen and I with the knowledge that we would have to change our colors and clean up our act if we wanted to work with Suncoast Audio. Mike was right about the lack of marketing. I can’t help but wonder which of the 11-brands on the Suncoast site that offer cable solutions, which one does he really align with and recommend to his customers. As audiophile dealers go, Mike is top tier in his business.

Iconoclast remains better suited to the “Direct to Customer” business model where we can present an accurate narrative, explain the science and math behind the design and offer a “risk free” in home, month long audition period. And if the customer decides to purchase a cable that is 9’7 3/8" long with different connectors on each end, they can have it their way. Kurt, Galen and I could not justify a $35k interconnect or speaker cable or a $5k power cord. There really should be some sort of rationality to all of this.

We will continue to work to have trade show presence as circumstances permit. A sound room is nice and there are manufacturers of components and speakers that would benefit from have their products showcased with cable solutions that let the music really come through. Just ask Rich Pinto at Treehaus.

We are grateful for and thank you for the suggestions for the Florida show. I hope everyone has a great weekend. Next week is a special one and we hope everyone has a meaningful and special Christmas! We are expecting low 20’ degree temps here in the Florida Panhandle. Stay warm!

6 Likes

That “bling thing” applies to a lot of other audio stuff as well.

Thanks Galen, Bob, BJC, et. al. for eschewing the kool-aid for keeping it real.

“Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler.” (Albert Einstein)

3 Likes

Bob

I remember that meeting and the posts about it on Mike’s forum.

This is the reason why I respect your work and effort, being your (little) customer even from the other side of the world (Italy). Keep going on your route and thank you Bob, Galen and Team.
Taking also into account how personal life was difficult this year let me sincerely wish you and all your families Merry Christmas and a few days of intimate warm and happiness!

2 Likes

Hi Luca, you are not a “little” customer from the other side of the pond! Every customer is an important part of our family where you are appreciated and will always be well taken care of. I know of a good number of us where struggles and difficulties presented themselves this year. I hope yours are resolved and I want to say thank you for your comments and warm wishes!! All the best sir!

4 Likes

Aurealis cables are great. I use them on my TT as interconnects from Phono to BHK pre.
R1 Dragons. :+1::facepunch::musical_score::heart_eyes:

1 Like

My 303 speaker cables arrive tomorrow, as does an R1 Dragon XLR! Can’t wait!

1 Like

I would move this particular conversation off this particular thread.
May I suggest the “next upgrade” thread? :grinning:

3 Likes

I’m still using my Iconoclast XLR interconnects from PS Audio Directstream-to-BHK pre and from Pre-to-Linkwitz amps.

2 Likes

Would it even be possible to have Iconoclast speaker wire connected to Neutrik SpeakON cable connectors? I have to run an 8 (or 6 core) core and a 4 core cable per loudspeaker . That’s a LOT of cable, albeit in short runs of 1m each.

I’m sure I’ve seen examples of their speakon connections.

1 Like

Here’s an example of NL2 Speakons on Iconoclast Cable. I don’t think I could fit 2 cables (aka 4 conductors) into a single NL4 without some extensive modification, but I would be willing to try. Definitely not NL8s though.

3 Likes

That looks very nice & neat Jeff, but, without both NLT4(2xbass) NLT8(Low & Upper midrange, Tweeters) connections I don’t have a working speaker system. Siegfried Linkwitz was very much a form-follows-function kind of audio engineer.

1 Like

That looks really nice! Speakons look good and were really convenient when I was doing live sound, but now that I am measuring resistance on everything I can’t help but notice how much of a bump they put in the numbers…

2 Likes

@BobBJC , @galen-gareis , @iconoclastjeff

I finally got a chance to swap out my S1 and S2 TPC speaker cables for a set of S1 and S2 SPTPC speaker cables. There was a nice improvement in the overall sound and I really didn’t expect much so it was a pleasant surprise. The midrange was definitely easier to listen to. Bass was also improved and snapped into place a little tighter.

After a couple of weekends with the new speaker leads in the system I made time to swap out my 32’ long run of BAV XLR’s for a set of Iconoclast UPOCC XLR’s. They run below the floor between the stack and power amps.

Holy crapoly what a difference. It is literally a component level change. Every single recording is better and much more enjoyable to listen to at any level. Ad I thought it was pretty good before this swap. The SQ is better from top to bottom. Every instrument , hell every note is easily discernible and easy to pick out of the mix. It is mesmerizing and addicting along with all of the other descriptors that audiophiles like to use. Wow is a good one too.

Today I have been listening to a '70’s rock playlist which most of the songs are normally fatiguing to me at most any playback volume. Not so with these new XLR’s in place. The music is so involving that you just want close your eyes and smile. Rock ON!

Yesterday was Jazz day and the same thing applies. From cymbals to vocals to upright bass everything is simply better.

So congrats to Bob, Galen, Jeff and the rest of the Blue Jeans / Iconoclast group. You have created a truly world class product that is proven by “the math” an Galen says and to top it all off mere mortals can afford the product line in one design or another.

This is going to be a FUN weekend listening to my new stereo. I had to turn off the music to write this post as I could not break listening to the music long enough to put a reply together

Thanks all and enjoy your Holidays!

Vern

11 Likes

Hi Vern,

within March I need to purchase a 26’ long pair of UPOCC XLR too, after I have moved rack and sources on the side wall. How long are yours?

I already enjoy these cables but at the moment in a shorter lenght.

Glad you are happy for this upgrade.

2 Likes

Hi Luca,
My XLR’s are 32’ long. I was initially concerned that the Iconoclast OCC wouldn’t make much of a difference over the BAV cables as the designs are similar.

It may be the longer length that make the difference so plain to hear but it was a perfect upgrade and the cost now seems small for the pleasure gained.

These XLR’s make the system sound “finished” if that can be possible at this level.

Enjoy the music! :grin:

3 Likes

Yes, the numbers are important but, the differences in dielectric reactive properties (all dielectric act reactive to an extent) and metals are also interestingly more pronounced than we might think.

But the fundamentals still allow these awkward to interpret and measure variables to reach best in class capability.

The BAV RCA and XLR are very good for their studio mission but can’t use the higher end dielectric and be so flexible. Classic R, L and C are near spot-on to the the series I ICONOCLAST RCA and XLR but yes, they don’t sound the same with the DOW Engage TPO dielectric.

Best holiday season to all.
Galen

2 Likes