Best HDMI Cable: Dragon 48. v. Nordost Valhalla

I own and use a Dragon 48…

4 Likes

Better cables improve HT for sure. But my HT system is more on the “Consumer Reports” level. The B&W Formations are not worthy of cables that cost more than the system.

I am happy with the decision, and my wife is happier with the extra space in the family room now :grin:

2 Likes

I had both for a while. Valhalla 2 hdmi had good resolution and sounded very straight forward with much drive, but had no chance against AQ Dragon hdmi in my setup. Dragon was much more fluently and really higher resoluted, not so “edgy” as Valhalla seemed to be with some music. I tested both hdmi cables connecting my PST with the DSD Sr. MK1 at that time. Valhalla 2 hdmi, which was the second best solution I ever had for i2s purpose, was sold. It was better than my Heimdal 2, I had before …

6 Likes

I use one to connect my Denafrips Gaia DDC to my Denafrips Terminator + DAC.

2 Likes

It is “JUNK” please sell it to me. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

What’s the source for the DDC?

Headless, fanless Windows 10 PC via USB from a NAS. I don’t stream.

Just installed Dragon 48. Letting it burn in but will start initial evaluation tonight.

1 Like

If it is a new Dragon it will take a few hundred hours to shine.

Thanks. Very first impressions are not great.

Ok so initial impressions…as in first hour.

I feel like there is no extension on this cable. Mid range is laking. It is very quiet background, bass is good.

I plugged in a $240 cable and instantly everything was amazing!! I’m wondering if this cable, at 10x the cost, will beat it.

YES I understand it needs time to break in, but it is currently just a loaner so I don’t have 400 hours to decide. I guess my worry is that its NOT bright, harsh or shows glare at all, which is what I had read was common during break in

Absolutely give the Dragon some time as @dchang05 says. Sounded a bit harsh out of the box.

Two question.

Which $240 cables is this?

Can you leave the part of the system with the Dragon running 24/7? That would certainly help things along.

Wegryzn. Its amazing. Slaps Nordost Heimdall in the face many times over! So far AQ too, but forget I said that cause I have no hours on it.

Yes and no. I guess I could just keep playing a blu ray in my 4k player (this is audio only from my 4K player to processor)

I would stream from whatever component/DDC to DAC you plan on listening to for audio recordings. A 4k player will use different wires for HDMI audio than i2s. Many companies use proprietary HDMI pin outs for i2s

Update for anyone who cares…

Cable is treble heavy today and mid range deficient. Bass is a little claustrophobic. Sound is a little veiled. It is however VERY full bodied, and my main speakers soundstage larger than anything I have heard. Total only about 5 hrs on it right now

2 Likes

If that’s the Dragon you’re talking about prepare for more good/bad sonically. It settled and was very good (or so I thought) at about 30 hours. There were times when mine sounded as you describe, but mostly it had near excellent sound. At 130 hours I thought the low points were over.

However this afternoon things were again murky and for the first time the soundstage had collapsed. It was bad enough that I briefly considered a garage sale. Went in for another listen after dinner and it was all there again and actually seemed slightly better than previous high points.

I have been through quite a few component break in rides over the years but nothing like this one. It’s the audio equivalent of being drawn and quartered.

Seriously though it will get much better. The bass will improve dramatically and I suspect you will be surprised how much. As the old joke goes, if you look up articulate bass in the dictionary there’s a picture of the Dragon next to it (the cable, not anyone’s S.O.)

While I’d like to say AQ should be cooking these cables before shipping, at minimum they should include a disclaimer card. And at BARE minimum my rep better not say anything when a month goes by and I still have his cable. That, or ship me one broken in.

I’m not trying to bash anyone. It just seems like after that many hours maybe the cable is trying to break me in…

4 Likes

I agree they should at least warn people and give an estimate of hours for break in (I was told a month, not very helpful). On the positive side my experience is it sounds very good or better say 95% or more of the time and at its best is amazing. It would be easy (and considerate) for AQ to just clarify what to expect with break in. MIT did this in the mid 90s.

2 Likes

Ok so update. My system has never sounded worse. This is horrible. Going to keep the 4k player loaded and running all weekend long trying to burn this in. Soon though I’m just going to call it like I see it if this doesn’t turn around.