Best HDMI Cable: Dragon 48. v. Nordost Valhalla

When I added AQ Dragon48, and Dragon power cords they kept getting better. They never sounded bad since day one.

It is rare that AQ Dragon will make your system sound worse. Even without burning it should not happen. You should return it to the dealer.

Its very bright and thin

Hope you know it is directional and the dBS is green. I never tried it backwards. Always worth a swap.

Arrow goes into processor. Coming in from 4K player. DBS lights up.

DBS is attached to cable, though I saw some people prefer to remove the velcro straps and let it lie elsewhere.

Latest update on Inakustik. I have been loaned a pr. of NF-204 Micro Air Referenz interconnects with XLR connections to try against my Atlas Mavros interconnects. With the price of the NF-204 being £360 and my Mavros at £1800 per 1 mtr pr. I was expecting a huge difference but was very surprised that the Inakustik cable coming so very very close. The Mavros are a little smoother.
I have now decided to try a pr. of the 1204 interconnects which price wise are a little more comparable. I’ve been on to the distributer and they are sending me a pr. early next week.
I will let you know the outcome, so watch this space.

2 Likes

I do not own any of these cables, but some how cable comparison gets me excited :laughing:

1 Like

Update for anyone still following…
Treble is now recessed. Actually missing some. And bass is reduced. But overall sounded better than yesterday?

Its only been a few days so let me keep breaking it in but my faithful HDMI has not been dethroned yet

Same for me in the earlier hours. Like someone snuck in and randomly changed bass/treble controls. It’s been a while since I’ve had those kinds of frequency variations and things are pretty stable now. And I am now hearing improvements in low level resolution across the frequency range which I never heard with the WW7 platinum.

For me it was worth the wait.

How long was your wait? How would you describe the strengths of your broken in cable now?

It’s about 160 hrs now (maybe not fully broken in yet) but the wild variations were gone by about 80hrs. I’m going by memory, it could have been less.

The Dragon outdoes the WW7 pretty much across the board. Soundstage and individual images within are both a big step up. The WW7 has a wall to wall soundstage behind the speakers while the Dragon does this and adds more depth, even in front of the speakers on some recordings. On images the WW7 has, to me, overly sharp edge definition which I suspect is due to treble distortion. With the Dragon images seem more natural and more dimensional/solid, just more realistic. It also better distinguishes images that are near one another. The soundstage presentation as a whole is much more believable than the WW7. I should also include naturalness of timbres, instruments and voice are very realistic. Moreover all of this can be heard with less effort than before which I take as evidence of better low level resolution.

Dynamics and frequency extension? Way better. Just listen to a well recorded drum kit.

Hope this gives you an idea of the sonics.

2 Likes

Enjoy! Dragon did the same thing in my system. You still have a few hundred hours to go. :grinning:

1 Like

Ditto on your observations, had the WW7 and the Dragon beat it out .

2 Likes

Thank you. You all have helped reassure me. I really dont mind if the Dragon slays. Yes it is expensive.

Sadly, or maybe not but…Sadly, I think I stumbled on an HDMI cable that was a match made in synergistic heaven with my system. Even if it isnt as ‘audiophile’ as the Dragon may be, its like tubes and vinyl. It just sounds GOOD.

Time will tell.

Update: This even the sound was…meh. Bass came back a bit. Treble stayed under control. But nothing worth mentioning

Sometimes it happens that way.

That Dragon is yet to be topped by another cable as an I2S cable in my computer lab system. Many came before it. But the RAL is/was a very nice waypoint.

3 Likes

Agreed. Less expensive than WW7, and better.

1 Like

Ok update: cable has about 50 hours on it now. Sounded pretty even…no missing or gleaming treble or bass. But…plain! When is this thing going to start sounding good? (Sorry I know that comment is aggressive)

$3K for this? A $500 HDMI smokes it in my system

1 Like

Excuse me, but may I ask what components are you running this HDMI cables to? You will not be able to hear what the Dragon is capable of unless you use it in a high resolution I2S input of a DAC with I2S inputs, otherwise save your money and just get a cheap cable.

Or maybe you just don’t like it so take it back if you can. The “cable of the month” is not always the best for every system.

1 Like

Just a demo, so no worries about return. Problem is I WANT to like it!

1 Like