Best use of audio power cables

I have just been converted to the benefits of audio quality power and also Ethernet cables. I purchased a $18 shielded Ethernet cable from Amazon and was amazed at the improvement it made sound. As a result I have now purchased an audio quality Ethernet cable which further improved the sound quality. I had previously been a little sceptical of some of the claims I have seen on here, but now fully accept these claims. I have now added an audio quality power cable to my amp (Dynavector) and found further improvement. My question is, if I get another audio power cable where will I get the best outcome. Should I put on the streamer (dCS network bridge), my DAC (PS Audio Mk1) or my pre amp (Dynavector).

Any comments greatly appreciated from a new convert to the power cable supporter community.

Do you use a power conditioner or generator? That will be the best place to put your best power cord.

Next I will try at either DAC or streamer, and it depends on the type of power cord you may prefer one location over the other.

What Donald said - power conditioner first, if you use one. If not, my recommendation is a bit different - preamp. It is the heart of the system. Get the right power cord to optimize it first. The other devices will forever be held back from how good they can potentially sound, if the preamp is not optimized.

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies….I don’t use a power conditioner and given the way my set up is, I can’t fit one in. Based on what you have suggested, I think I will get another power cable and try it for a while on all three devices that currently only have their original power cables….the pre amp, DAC and streamer. I guess my ears will hopefully tell me the best place for the cable…thanks for your thoughts

2 Likes

Long term you will find that your preamp and source gear will probably be your best bang for your buck with power cables. My amps have my lowest prices power cables

5 Likes

I agree with Tony. Since everything is typically plugged into your preamp, start there.
And I have come to believe that the more the manufacturer of your power amp spent on the power supply, the less sensitive it will be to power cords. So preamp, then source.

2 Likes

i stopped using my pre amp (mcintosh) because going directly through the dsd mk1 sounded better… switched to having my best power chord into the dac, then added good power chords to both my innuous streamer and amp - improvement was immediate

wondering if i can sell my mcintosh amp preamp combo even tho they require a voltage converter since i bought them in Japan…