Power cables and pre amp

Hi all,

I am in the process of putting together a (digital only) PS Audio system. Unfortunately I am not able to get all the components at the same time due to budgetary restrictions. So far I have the Direct Stream DAC, the DMP and the BHK 250 Stereo Amp. My next purchase is going to be a pair of power cables. Would you please advise on which two components I should use the cables to have the greatest impact for the time being.

Eventually I hope to round it all up with a pre-amp, if it would better the system’s performance, and a power plant (not necessarily in that order). Thus my next question. Would this set up benefit from the addition of a pre-amp (BHK signature most likely)? If yes, which one would you recommend to buy first the pre-amp or the power plant?

Thanks,
Joe.

On the first question the DAC and the Amp if you are using just stock out of the box power cords. Also the two components don’t take the exact same power cord. On the second question I would buy the preamp first unless your power is really bad which is not likely. Get the components you want in place and then concentrate on the accessories. You can always use something like a Blue Circle PLC while you save up for a PS10. This is based on my 40+ years experience and others may have different opinions.

Good questions Joe! In terms of the cables, I asked Paul a similar question. He recommended AC12s as the best option all the way around. Taking into account budget, he recommend the AC12 for a P10 and for BHK components, and AC5s for the Direcstream components.

Power Plant vs a BHK Pre is really tough. A P10 will provide blacker background and thereby more detail. The BHK will provide greater dynamics and more space around musicians. Which characteristics do you want first?

I think we are looking at two different questions here. First the gear and as Norton pointed out which avenue do you want to address first power or musical dynamics. Secondly cables are a personal and budget decision as to what you think sounds right to you and how much you want to spend. Saying that there are more cable providers than you would care to count so don’t restrict yourself to PSA cables as they may not fit your plans or sound preferences. That’s why I encourage you to get your gear in place first and deal with the “accessories” after.

I’m in agreement with Jack. I personally would think that the power plant will benefit the system a bit more than the preamp and start there. With the power cords, put one on the power plant first. . . .

Hey Joe, having had a BHK 250, DS DAC and DMP, then added a P10, then added aBHK Pre and finally upgraded my power cables, I can confirm this is a good path.

norton said

Good questions Joe! In terms of the cables, I asked Paul a similar question. He recommended AC12s as the best option all the way around. Taking into account budget, he recommend the AC12 for a P10 and for BHK components, and AC5s for the Direcstream components.

Power Plant vs a BHK Pre is really tough. A P10 will provide blacker background and thereby more detail. The BHK will provide greater dynamics and more space around musicians. Which characteristics do you want first?

Thanks Norton for the tips. I am leaning towards the P10.

My opinion is that it would be a mistake to think of the Power Plant as an accessory. It is one of the fundamental elements on which to build a system.

Ron has it right. Accessories are things added to foundational elements while a Power Plant IS the foundation of the system.

I cannot agree more with Paul. My first PS audio product was the P300 Power Plant I bought shortly after it was introduced to the market back in the late ‘90’s. That was a transformative product. I have not been without a Power Plant in my system since then.