Beta testers wanted for LANRover

Hi Jeff. In my experience the networking cables don’t matter - just as it doesn’t matter when network traffic travels halfway around the world or one block.

The included USB cable hasn’t proven to me to be important so it’s just an approved USB cable we found off the shelf. It’s a good one that is proven to work, not a sonic wonder cable.

Shorter is better for USB and that’s always been the case. Though in my experience some USB sounds dramatically better than others and here you need to experiment. I am sure the Audioquest is a good one, I happen to prefer the JCat but others like their flavors better. It’s somewhat system dependent so there’s no right answer.

Paul - I see that the LANRover comes with a 5VDC power supply for the receiver. Have you experimented with any upgraded power supplies or have thoughts as to whether they might offer any further sonic improvement? TIA

audio.bill said Paul - I see that the LANRover comes with a 5VDC power supply for the receiver. Have you experimented with any upgraded power supplies or have thoughts as to whether they might offer any further sonic improvement? TIA
I have the same question and was thinking an ifi ipower supply could help. Only problem is the 5v versions are on backorder from all the dealers I checked. :(
audio.bill said Paul - I see that the LANRover comes with a 5VDC power supply for the receiver. Have you experimented with any upgraded power supplies or have thoughts as to whether they might offer any further sonic improvement? TIA
I have not spent a great amount of time with different supplies. It may be that it helps. I need to get back into the Music Room but I have been swamped. Hopefully you guys can chime in at some point when we ship. Beta units will ship this week for those that have ordered one and, I might add, there's still; a few slots left open for beta testers if anyone's interested.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/lanrover-usb-transporter-beta/

Just got the Fedex notice. LANRover here on Wednesday!

Will be fun to be a beta tester. I am using a MacBook Pro with Audirvanana Plus 2 to an Esoteric K-03x (DAC) to a McIntosh C2300 tube preamp to a McIntosh MC601 SS amps to B&W 802 D2 speakers. For now from the MacBook Pro I am using AQ Jitterbug to a W4S Recovery to the DAC. Most of us have some type of signal and jitter control by various means. Will be great to settle in on one method. Let me know if I can help. Thanks, Jim

Paul McGowan said
highstream said Some questions: At least in your testing (or in theory), does the LANRover replace the need for...
  • Separate power supply (Core Audio Tech Kora)?
  • USB card (JPlay)?
  • Aftermarket USB cable (TotalDac1)?
  • Jitterbug?
I can answer only a few of these. There's no advantage I find using the Jitterbug after installing LANRover. Several of my friends who have LANRover still keep the bugs in the chain because it makes them feel better , or they believe it helps, which it might, I just don't hear much change.

Definitely need the aftermarket USB cable between LANRover’s output and the DAC. That still matters greatly. The one feeding LANRover from the computer, not so much.

Forgot one piece: Have you (or anyone) tried the Regen - or does the LANRover replicate its function?

Btw, anyone know if Bug Head player is compatible with Bridge II (+ DS), i.e., UPnP? Need to know the answer to that before I pull the trigger.

Unfortunately I cannot be a beta tester/reviewer due to being too far away (Australia)

I do have a couple of questions regarding the LANRovers - are these meant to be a generic device able to regenerate any DAC’s USB input - or are they meant to only interface to PS Audio product ?

The reason being is that in the specifications they are stated as working up to DSD128 rates whereas I would have liked them to be able to at least interface with DSD256 capable DAC’s too - as there are a number of those in the market. Shortly there should be a DSD256 capable ADC released too.

Is the LANRover able to operate at DSD256 rates with some software tweaking ? - or would it require hardware modifications too ?

I make no claims regarding DSD256 - but the only way to know is to compare and with finally a DSD256 capable ADC and DAC all elements of the chain need to support DSD256 in order to allow comparisons at higher DSD bitrates. Having a couple of pairs of DSD256 capable LANRovers would seem an ideal testing ground in that environment.

Geoff

highstream said

Forgot one piece: Have you (or anyone) tried the Regen - or does the LANRover replicate its function?

Btw, anyone know if Bug Head player is compatible with Bridge II (+ DS), i.e., UPnP? Need to know the answer to that before I pull the trigger.

I have retired the Regen - which is saying a lot because up until the LANRover you’d have had to pry my cold dead hands…

geoffconway said Is the LANRover able to operate at DSD256 rates with some software tweaking ? - or would it require hardware modifications too ?

I make no claims regarding DSD256 - but the only way to know is to compare and with finally a DSD256 capable ADC and DAC all elements of the chain need to support DSD256 in order to allow comparisons at higher DSD bitrates. Having a couple of pairs of DSD256 capable LANRovers would seem an ideal testing ground in that environment.

Geoff

We’ve never tested it at these rates - I don’t even have program material a 4X so hard to say. It might. Technically it should but we’re unwilling to certify it as such. At these speeds much will depend on whether you’re connected via a straight CAT5 between the two or a network. I suspect the best chance would be a cable only.

Hi Paul,

I would be interested in Beta testing the LanRover. I have a fairly complex system, JPLAY with dual PC, battery powered USB and ReGen, ETC, will be interesting to test the LR against what I consider a reference system. It would definitely simplify the system, and potentially the need for dual PC set up.

Thanks

Lou

louawalters said Hi Paul,

I would be interested in Beta testing the LanRover. I have a fairly complex system, JPLAY with dual PC, battery powered USB and ReGen, ETC, will be interesting to test the LR against what I consider a reference system. It would definitely simplify the system, and potentially the need for dual PC set up.

Thanks

Lou

As I have mentioned, there’s a few remaining slots for US residents. Go here to sign up.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/lanrover-usb-transporter-beta/

louawalters is in Canada. Is that close enough? 105_gif

stevem2 said louawalters is in Canada. Is that close enough?
Meet him at the border :)

Just signed up… 4_gif

I’m in, as well. Arriving Friday.

Thanks, Paul!

Thanks for helping and we wait for your report!

With the sweltering weather many of our experiencing, it should be a good time to spend indoors and do some Beta testing. I plan to start tomorrow as soon as the package arrives. Thanks Paul and Duncan for the opportunity.

Initial LANRover impressions.

I received mine today, and have it connected. The system path is as follows:

MacBook Pro -> Kimber silver USB -> LANRover pair (with supplied Ethernet cable between them) -> Curious Cable USB -> DAC. The LANRover replaces my a Regen in the system path. I’m running HQPlayer up sampling all music to 352/24, with a Roon front end.

The device works seamlessly. It works the same as the Regen, making its self seemingly “invisible” to player software. I still see my dac as a device, the same as if it were connected directly to my computer.

As far as sound…I’m astonished at the improvement over the Regen. When I inserted the Regen a while back, I was very happy with the results. This, however, is magnitudes better than that difference. It’s NOT one of those “Did I hear a difference?..let me switch back again” deals. It’s effect is immediately noticed in my system. There is an effortlessness and clarity to the music that has simply never been there before. Inserting the Regen back in the path makes everything sound compressed and flat, something I would not have described it as before. The improvements are all across the board: better/tighter base, improve ambiance, better decay, etc. There is also more detail, but is not bright.

I will be trying it with different software players and through my network. I have a lot of listening ahead tonight and days to come, but wanted to post initial impressions.

Color me impressed.

Mine should arrive tomorrow.

I can compare it to my chain of Intona, Recovery, and 2 Mutec-3+USB’s in tandem. The Regens were sold long ago.

Source is from a Bryston BDP-2 and will be using the Curious usb’s into the Direct Stream Dac.

First I’ll try it alone, then in tandem with the others.

It would be great if the LANRover could replace the others.