PS Audio LANRover

In case you missed this.

https://youtu.be/nQjJke5uM2g

We will see if Paul wants to comment about the PS Audio LANRover.

[Edit - TedSmith: I fixed the link, sorry our edits crossed :slight_smile: ]

Cool. Will this be compatible with PS Audio products only or would I be able to use it to connect other USB devices to a remote computer?

I’m not sure if Paul is aware of it, but there’s a company in existence out of Ronkonkoma, NY named LANRover Network Services.

LANRover was also at one time the name of a remote access server by Shiva Corporation.

Worth checking into?

I did a quick search and there are lots of adapters that will go from a computer USB port to Ethernet Out. What I don’t see are adapters that do Ethernet in and USB Out. At least that’s not how they are advertised. Will one of these LANRover boxes on the DS DAC end (Ethernet In to USB Out) work with any USB to Ethernet adapter on the computer end, or do you need a LANRover box on each end for this to work?

They are a pair, one on the USB host side and another on the device side. The host side is USB powered. There are plenty of LAN/USB boxes out there that work for low bandwidth USB devices (keyboards, etc.), fewer that work with non-realtime faster devices (printers, SD cards, etc. and hardly any that work for video, USB 2.0 audio or devices with custom USB drivers. (Since many of the boxes run Linux they only support the drivers that are commonly available for Linux.)

Here is another one. We use BlackBox at work.

One nice feature with this one is that you have a choice whether to go direct via cat.x or via your LAN.

Joe Appierto said I'm not sure if Paul is aware of it, but there's a company in existence out of Ronkonkoma, NY named LANRover Network Services.

LANRover was also at one time the name of a remote access server by Shiva Corporation.

Worth checking into?

http://www.wipo.int/branddb/en/index.jsp

https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/welcome

Some search databases for brand names.

Frode,

I already did look into it and came up with the two examples given. Am I missing the point of your post?

My post was not questioning your post at all :slight_smile:

My post was just to inform in general about search engines for branding. If conflicts arise, one might try out other names.

I am working with patenting in my daily business.

Products like the Audioquest Jitterbug and Uptone Audio Regen are designed to reduce jitter as well as noise. In his video Paul mentions isolation of packets over the network and galvanic isolation of Cat5 as the reasons he thinks that these boxes sound so good. Is it also possible that when the network data packets are converted back to USB that a reduction in jitter is also achieved?

Any idea on pricing?

Frode said My post was not questioning your post at all :)

My post was just to inform in general about search engines for branding. If conflicts arise, one might try out other names.

I am working with patenting in my daily business.

My misunderstanding. Thanks for the clarification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQjJke5uM2g

bstanwick said Products like the Audioquest Jitterbug and Uptone Audio Regen are designed to reduce jitter as well as noise. In his video Paul mentions isolation of packets over the network and galvanic isolation of Cat5 as the reasons he thinks that these boxes sound so good. Is it also possible that when the network data packets are converted back to USB that a reduction in jitter is also achieved?
The jitter/noise will be different: USB has some inherent jitter problems (and some inherent noise problems) that other interfaces don't have but the LANRover will be substituting it's extra USB jitter/noise generation instead of the PC's extra noise/jitter generation and there's a lot less going on in the LANRover than a PC so it's not surprising that the jitter/noise can be lower. USB hubs (including the Uptone Regen) don't repacketize the USB so they tend to pass on some of the packetization jitter.

So… could this replace a bridge?

How does it compare sonically?

Would the LANRover sound better with a battery or linear supply?

What about a LANover and a Regen?

So many possibilities. When will we get an idea of price?

This can most certainly replace the Bridge, though not in all cases. For example, the LANRover requires a computer somewhere in the mix - the Bridge can operate with nothing more than a NAS.

Sonically the two are very close and I haven’t yet made a detailed A/B between them. The LANRover for sure is the best sound I have ever heard from a USB input and not by a little bit.

I haven’t experimented too much with different supplies for the Rover and that’s a whole other possibility we’ll have to play with and see.

I have the Regen but find the Rover better without it.

Hoping to get it out the door for $549.

Interesting product, but why was the video removed from YouTube? Several folks here inferred it was a trademark issue, but no mention of who the maker of the product is. It sounds like PS Audio came up with the name so I can see where the issue could be, but it is not confirmed. Sounds like this is a somewhat lower cost option to the same end as the Bridge II. Since I already have Bridge II and do not use USB I am assuming this product would have no value to me?

Message 12 has a link to the video: http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/ps-audio-lanrover/#p54354 - https://youtu.be/nQjJke5uM2g

I edited the link in the first post.

Ted, I saw the video through the link in post 12. My comment was why was I removed from You Tube? I’m expecting Paul to answer that.

Those links are to YouTube - Paul reedited the video slightly at my request - I’d originally suggested the device to PS Audio but the original video (thru editing for another purpose) made it seem like I was saying that this was an impossible problem, which wasn’t Paul’s intention. Rather I was saying that the problem is hard enough that I didn’t see how PS Audio could cost effectively do better on their own.

Ted, thanks for the clarification! I haven’t watched the new video yet, but I did just discover a link to it on You Tube in the Twitter feed. I was looking for the video on the DST and discovered the LANRover link. I assume the original was taken down for editing? I think it all makes sense now (I’m a little slow sometimes…).