BHK300 and Gryphon Essence Amplifiers

I am not familiar with the BHK beyond hearing it at RMAF, but can give my $.02 in on the Gryphon Essence - I am running one in stereo, along with the companion preamp. It is magnificent, and sonically perhaps a bit of a departure for Gryphon. While Gryphon is known for their dark, almost chocolatey character, the Essence is breathtakingly neutral while retaining all of Gryphon’s musical allure. Someone in the industry who knows the Gryphon line inside out told me he feels resolution-wise it is the most incredible amp Gryphon makes, which is saying something. The only potential drawback I can imagine for some is that some other amps, such as the Pass XA30.5 and other Gryphon models, have a more overtly full and powerful bass response, but the Essence’s bass is remarkably deep and controlled in its own right.

Review coming soon on my blog, was hoping to be the first on the 'net but looks like Jeff Fritz beat me to it:
https://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/980-gryphon-audio-designs-essence-stereo-amplifier

Frankly I think the description there is a bit generic and doesn’t really capture what the amp is about and capable of, but I guess that’s just more motivation for me to get my own review out. :slight_smile:

I’ve measured the power consumption on my Essence and it’s not as bad as the spec indicates. Though one unit is rated 350W at idle, I measured more like 280W. If you use Green Bias (ok for casual/background listening and standby) you can drop that down to 105W. The max power consumption is really just a peak figure, and overall it probably uses about the same or slightly less power than a pair of, say, Pass XA60.8’s.

Darkness is definitely a Gryphon tendency that doesn’t work for everyone and requires careful speaker matching. That said, the Essence strikes me as incredibly neutral, more so than the Pass XA30.5 I had for a bit - the Gryphon has even more tonal color and density than the Pass while sounding a lot more extended, transparent and versatile vs. a bit fuzzy and warm like the Pass. I could see the Essence working in a lot of systems where maybe past Gryphons didn’t.

Danish HIFI

1 Like

and not only that very good Danish hifi :wink:

1 Like

Think how much HIFI comes from our country. The world’s largest speaker manufacturers m.m. :grinning: :wink:

What’s the old saying…“you ain’t much if you ain’t Dutch”…
Me thinks …tongue in cheek

Also the Dutch giant Philips electronics and how they became the giants that they are…

Vitus from Herning … Danish HIFI

BHK300’s in system close to 2000 hours. Even with volume up at listening levels, with ear right up against the speakers, they’re dead quiet. Is the BHK250 noisier?

1 Like

BHK250 is effectively dead quiet in my system.

Room must be as silent as possible and ear literally 3mm from tweeter to hear what could be a gnat fart but I could be imagining it and there’s nothing at all.

1 Like

Okay but where is the report on the Gryphons…
Leonard seems to have dissappeared …need to put
out BOLO …perhaps impish gryphons hysted him
off to Gryphon-phonia

1 Like

I suspected as much. Thanks for the input.

1 Like

I have no idea. Never heard them, but would love to. Unfortunately nowhere for me to listen. Just relating what the reviewer wrote, cannot verify myself.

Depends on the speakers as much as anything. It won’t be as quiet on 101dB Klispch or Zu

Was there ever a comparison review of the two amplifiers?

As would any amplifier is to speakers over 100db per watt efficient.