Block Diagrams, System Topologies, and Bears, Oh my! - Members' Systems Deep Dive

No; to @JeffofArabica – fixed/edited my original reply…

Dig the “very low tech” as well, though…

Cheers.

Analog is good.

1 Like

Nice setup there @brett66. Particularly that Pink Faun 2.16! I am envious of your visually clean setup having that small room adjacent to the front wall to place all your equipment. My rack is full of lots of stuff between my 2-CH and HT systems, which share rack space. I didn’t bother including my HT stuff in my diagram since they really don’t share anything.

So your monoblocks are in a rack in your listening room? Or are they also in the back room with the DAC and P10?

Thanks Jeff. The mono blocks and BHK preamp are in the front room with the speakers inside a vintage looking credenza (?). We wanted to keep with the mid-century theme of the house as it was built in 1952. We kept the in-wall telephone and telephone book storage nook in the hallway for example.

My HT stuff is all separate too, in a 1/2 height AV rack on wheels in the same closet with the fixed shelves for the P10, DS and PF 2.16. All of the cabling is in separate conduits through the wall, never in parallel with power or other between HT and 2CH systems.

Current front room pic with and without treatments that are stored in another closet when not in use. The Ford Tri-Motor (shot in San Diego Air and Space museum) is printed on fabric and conceals 2" rock wool in a frame 1" off the wall. Largely makes that close wall ‘go away’. Plus a couple of very bad shots of the back closet with AV rack and 2ch stack.

4 Likes

Great looking room Brett! Is that a dog or a bear run on the floor :wink:
I assume you are running an RF repeater to control your DAC and other equipment requiring needing line of sight? How long are your IC cable runs to the M700? Looks like the storage nook is pretty close to your credenza.

That sounds pretty bitchin’ Would love to see a pic of that!

He looks like a big teddy bear, Bernese Mountain dog crossed with a Moyen poodle, 55lbs of joy and shed-less hair. We have his sister from the next litter too, she’s 58lbs and looks more like a Bernese whereas he looks more like a curly Poodle.

The ICs from DS to BHK are 10’ and from BHK to M700 are 3’. Speaker cables are 7’.

To answer the RF question, yes, I have a Logitech Harmony that communicates with it’s base via RF and then IR to the devices. It’s quite handy as it also emits IR from the remote

1 Like

@cardri, I saw the title of the thread, and I knew you’d be in here having a good time! :smile:

1 Like

@jamesh - All good… been only doing this for a year and this community has been so helpful in my tutoring. I get more than I give here and that is so cool… there are so many smart audiophiles and the bonus is how deep they are in music. I have also learned a ton wrt the music and that is the reason for all these Block Diagrams… :nerd_face:

So, I just sorted out the top shelf after swapping my (4) Sboosters for (4) Farad Super3 LPS… this one’s for you…:sunglasses:

3 Likes

My BD is much simpler than most:
A stream of money goes into the funnel and a stream of music comes out. One is directly related to the other by some long haired college level math but I can’t to the math so I just keep pouring money into the funnel to see what happens next. :thinking:

8 Likes

@Baldy - Vern - no matter what mood I’m in you always put a smile on my face… here’s to you - :love_you_gesture:

Those are some really impressive block diagrams from all of you. Mine is more sparse but still looks like Psychedelic Spaghetti out back. I’ve actually been doing some “woodwork” on my crappy Home Entertainment Cabinet. Gonna give cable management another try.

Here’s more of a pictorial view of what’s happening behind the cabinet. Components aren’t stacked like in the picture. All interconnects are Audioquest Red River XLR & RCA. USB cable is Audioquest Forest. Coax is good 'ole quad shield terminated by the COX installer with RCA adapters on both ends. Speaker cable is Audioquest Rocket 33.

3 Likes

I have no diagrams of my stereo, however, I diagrammed my home. When I moved in, I installed a Cat 5 Ethernet plant, coax plant, a few dedicated 15 & 20 amp circuits for audio, computer, home theater. All Ethernet to a patch panel in a closet. I did all the work myself.

I don’t like or trust wireless… albeit way better every day, still not as good, dependable, and fast as a wired connection.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

7 Likes

I like that password of your Asus router : get me a drink! :smile:

That is the SSID… it broadcasts that name. My pass is a fun phrase but blocked on the diagram.

Oh, and I learned a long time ago, that using static IP addresses for all equipment results in less trouble and hassle over time. That is why I assign the DHCP address pool to 100 to 199… this way I can be assure of no duplicate addresses in my system. Address problems can occur when swapping equipment… some devices remember an address and then can’t find the new address. Always best to assign static IP addresses to all of your devices such as printers and such… new printers may result in re-setting up printers on PCs. The auto functions can result is slower print times.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

1 Like

As a networking professional for 30 years, I’d like to dispel some DHCP myths.

Bruce, this is not specifically directed at you but I hope it is helpful

DHCP has many advantages, even in small networks vs. static addressing. When a device boots up (and is set to use DHCP), it broadcasts a special packet to ‘find’ the DHCP server, the server responds to the request and provides an IP address, def gw, name servers and numerous other values, if configured. This also contains a lease time, settable by the administrator (you), anywhere from a few hours to many days.

The client uses this information and communicates on the network, then when half of the lease time has passed, it requests a renewal of the address, along with all other info, from the server. The server responds and updates it database accordingly. This continues ad infinitum.

The lease is associated with the hardware MAC address of the client NIC. As long as this hw address doesn’t change, the IP doesn’t change. If it does, the DHCP server is misconfigured or db is corrupt. If the client leaves the network and the lease time expires, the IP is put back in the ‘available’ pool for reuse.

One can also set a reservation on the lease so that the server never even considers giving the client another IP address (for that hw address) nor that IP to any other requestor.

There is simply no performance penalty. The client behaves on the network exactly the same as if it had a static IP address. One is not necessarily better than the other, just different means to the same end. However, once DHCP is understood and in use, no one ever goes back to static addressing.

The advantages of DHCP are that it is dynamic, clients refreshing the info at half the lease interval. For example, say the DNS server you’re using is not properly resolving an address out in the world, change it and it will propagate to DHCP clients without having to touch them individually.

Bruce’s example of setting static IP on printers is easily handled with a DHCP lease for the new device.

Typically, I set aside a portion of each subnet, say .1 thru .25 (in a class C aka /24 subnet) for statically assigned addressed, for servers usually, the rest of the range for dynamic use. Do not set a static address in the dynamic range as it will create a conflict at some point.

Hope this helps someone, anyone, in the future. Understanding how DHCP works goes a long way to using it for its advantages and not throwing them all out because of a misconfiguration or misunderstanding of it.

4 Likes

So maybe you can clarify something for me. Some software vendors, I think HP, has some sort of software that sits in the middle of the IP address for the printer, in the windows printer config, that handles the IP address translation. This program sits in your Windows machine. When I go to client sites and configure my laptop, some use this program for some reason. It always makes initiating a print job slow. So I would routinely go to the printer, grab the IP address, and then go to my machine, and key the address in and turn off that program in the configuration. Printer Properties, Port tab.

But there is something else, sometimes some software in a PC talks directly to a device using that devices IP address. If you swap out a device, the PC can’t find the new device because (a new MAC address), get a new IP address. So if you say install a new printer and toss out the old, it will get a new address. An example (may be) when you get a new ethernet card for your DAC. Your player must be reconfigured for it whereas you assigned an IP address for that DAC, you just key in that address into the DAC and you are running NP.

To be honest, I developed these habits years ago… so maybe things are a bit better today.

Anywho…

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Most of the consumer HP printer drivers and software is complete and utter crap. They outsourced it a few times over the years and have really struggled to find talent. There are several print driver ‘standards’ with varying performance, typically Postscript and PCL and then with either can be a model specific version or a universal version. Then version(s) for each OS.

I recommend not purchasing HP consumer printers or if this is unavoidable or not your choice, DO NOT install their software package. Go to their website and download just the printer driver for your OS and you’re all set.

The other ‘something else’ you reference is a process issue. Devices should have a DNS entry so they can be referred to by name and not IP address. This allows a simple, quick DNS update to occur if/when the device/NIC change happens and the clients continue resolving the same name they did before but to a new IP address.

Two questions I ask myself every time I add a new device to the networks under my control:

1. DHCP or static addressing - if static is chosen there needs to be reasons that outweigh the downsides, which is nearly never as a reservation will cause it to behave effectively as static. Vendors like to say their device must have a static IP - this is nearly always because they or their customers don’t have properly configured or fully understand their DHCP, DNS and network setup in general.

2. Should a client use a DNS name or IP address to talk to a device - a name is nearly always better than an IP as it can remain the same if/when the IP changes or is changed.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I do not use static addressing within my network, but for many devices I tell my router always to assign them the same address. It makes life easier to have a pseudo-static address for devices you want to access directly, typically via a browser. IP security cameras, renderers, PVRs etc. If I forget to do this I have grief.

Excellent, this is the reservation of a DHCP lease I referenced above. It is the best of both worlds.

This is a great exercise. Sometimes I forget how I’ve set things up, and it makes updates/changes an adventure! I created two diagrams, one for power, and one for audio (digital and analog).

7 Likes