Boulder Wildfire

I hope that Team PSA, their families and friends are spared from this fire.

1 Like

Praying all are safe :pray:t2:

3 Likes

Another one? Yikes.

1 Like

Indeed Vkennedyā€¦hoping and praying for Paul family, staff
and properties ā€¦preservation protection from this fireā€¦

Best wishes

3 Likes

Be safe!

I am sorry you are dealing with fires once gain. :frowning:

1 Like

Sincere best wishes to any concerned!

1 Like

calord and wife were evacā€™ed yesterday, but are back in their house this am. Apparently the ā€œsafeā€ line is between his and his neighborā€™s yardšŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø Still a bunch of smoke hanging over the 'hood.

Thatā€™s NCAR on Table Mesa in the lower right in this last one.

2 Likes

Christ, you guys have been through so much, this is really tough!

The neighborhood has been able to start shopping at the reopened King Sooperā€™s recently, which is a positive. But it is getting monotonous, so to speak.

2 Likes

My Wife and I were discussing moving the other day. Mostly due to an incredible increase in taxes over the last two years, up nearly $6K. While discussing where to move, wildfires came up and we realized that thereā€™s really no place safe in Oregon outside the metropolitan areas.

Taxes or wildfire? For the moment weā€™ve settled on taxes.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve been talking about living with 5 seasonsā€”the smoke season lasting from July to October. The year I retired (2017) we added AC to out heating system, not because of the heat (weā€™d be managing with fans just fine) but because the smoke had gotten so bad we couldnā€™t keep windows open to cool the house down at night. Best decision weā€™ve made in a long time (bedsides deciding to retire)

6 Likes

I have to ask for those that live in the fire zone. Are there initiatives on going to try to reduce fires? Iā€™m oblivious to it. It would seem so ?

Anyone know how close the fires are to PSAUDIO?

They are on the opposite side of town. Like NE versus SW.

ā€¦Iā€™d say 6 or 7 miles without mapping it out.

1 Like

I saw this in the (electronic) paper this morning, got my attention! My wife and I were staying in Broomfield on Wednesday night, Thursday morning prior to a visit to PS Audio and TMR. I was shocked at the explosive (no pun intended) development in that area. We last visited four years ago and where there had been fields there was a sea of new housing, single and multiple family units, and businesses. The fires last year did damage a lot of buildings, yet the in-process construction I saw was mostly traditional wood walls, traditional wood or composite siding, and asphalt shingles. No steel or fiber cement anywhere. Just seems like someone isnā€™t making good decisions.

As for the location of PS Audio, they are in the middle of Boulder in an industrial park. While not a safe haven, they are in a lower risk area. I would be less worried with the facility itself and much more worried about the employees, actually anyone, who live closer to the actual fires.

4 Likes

The evacuation order was lifted yesterday. At that point the fire was around 180+ acres and 35% contained, but the south and east borders of it are sufficiently controlled to allow folks to return to their homes. The weather was unpredictable in the good direction - it had been expected to be near 80 and dry, while it got more humid and only got to about 65 degrees. If we get through today without any adverse conditions, it is supposed to rain on Tuesday, last I looked.

Not sure what you mean by this - naturally there are various sorts of things, Red Flag days and so on, but Iā€™m not sure what can be done to stop fires when extreme drought and lightning can do whatever they will. Not to mention stupid humans of various sorts.:man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

So maybe this sounds stupid - but what I mean is cleaning up basically tinder laying on the grounds.

In beach towns they have a ā€˜clean up the beachā€™ week or something. Are there people doing this. And are there initiatives to get people involved. Or is it just deemed hopeless?

No, thatā€™s not stupid. And it certainly is done to the extent that it is practicable. Actually wildfires are the way nature traditionally takes care of it for the most part - this particular area of SoBo is now safer for a good while. Itā€™s just that these days more of us live in and near forests that are in extreme drought conditions, and much of it locally is already ravaged by beetles.

Speaking just locally here, SINGLE fires a year or so ago in and near RMNP consumed over 200,000 acres each. That is simply more area than we can cope with, even were it not mountainous. When they started over the ridge in the Grand Lake area, they said, ā€œNo Way it will be able to jump over into RMNPā€. Well, it did. There was no way to stop it.

When you see the scale of this stuff, here, in CA and other parts of the West - I think that is what leads many to feel that it is best addressed in terms of the largest systems. If there is any way we can curb the causes of the droughts and temperatures, that may be our best chance in the long term.

4 Likes

Agree with badbeef that it isnā€™t stupid. There is a ton of work to do after our pine beetle matters, and itā€™s the dormant season so the wild grasses that are native to Colorado and our neighbors will still burn. Also, as the wind blows, or a heavy spring snow falls, the forest floor gathers new fire fuel. This might make it the equivalent of vacuuming the infield of a baseball diamond.

Controlled burns are probably a big part of the answer. However, the places that need that the most are probably past the point of being controlled. This all gets more complicated as the uber-rich build palaces in our mountains (Iā€™m not a fan).

Praying for the safety of all affected. Here in NH we donā€™t have many forest fires per se. What we deal with are black bears and moose. The more we humans move into the animalā€™s home the more they fight back.

Stay safe