Bridge is dead

Firstly thanking all and Gordon for your help. Gordon’s your offer to Skype me is awesome, however sorry I was as sleep by then.

Tried Dennis’s idea about bringing up the reset menu, unfortunately no good, the system can not detect the bridge.

Funny thing is this morning I switched it on after a night off, the bridge showed up but no network connection. Unfortunately the excitement was short lived as she quickly disappeared again.

Another thing I noticed was the network light was flashing as if everything is normal.

Will now try the USB method mentioned by Gordon and see.

back soon

I am happy to report that the bridge is now alive and seems to work after a usb rescue, however art cover doesnt shows anymore, perhaps a firmware reinstall may fix.

Question is why did it just died?

It’s the circle of life… Live and let die.

Seriously though, it’s sounds like a network issue. The bridge can take a while to settle into a new network, and even longer after a “rescue” procedure. The bridge is a temperamental little beast that thrives on continuity and predictability. Unsettle it at your peril.

daphan1 said: Funny thing is this morning I switched it on after a night off, the bridge showed up

Electronics is a science about contacts :D
daphan1 said: art cover doesnt shows anymore

Are the DNS server and default router configured correctly on the Bridge?
Is the SD card inserted contact side up?

@daphan1

Put your sd card back in.

Alekz. just saw your post too.

daphan1 said: I am happy to report that the bridge is now alive and seems to work after a usb rescue

YIPPY!

Seriously though, it's sounds like a network issue.

As previously mentioned, I have some problems relating to this fact. It doesn't make sense to me.
If the Bridge is not discovered by the PWD when inserted into a slot inside the PWD itself, I cannot see how this can be related to the network. I bet you can disconnect the LAN from the Bridge while trying out the Bridge Reset feature on the PWD....(?)

To assign an IP address to the Bridge and register it on the LAN, well that's another ball game.

If you have done a USB stick recovery then you must update to your preferred firmware version. First though you should do a Bridge reset (as Dennis described). After the Bridge reset you will have to go into the configuration and set your IP preferences.

J.P.

About your protocol, Gordon, I’d have made sure to casually ask “so what were you drinking at the time that X occurred?” Then hit them with the “did you change anything question”.

The one or two times that my bridge went AWOL it took a few bashes to get it back, but then stable…the worst thing I ever did was accidentally interrup a FW update. Was drinking coffee at the time.

All working fine now, hope it stays that way. I am too scare to turn it off at the back :slight_smile:

What I can conclude from this experience is we need this wavestream software badly. With the bridge gone, I had to play with USB for the first time since getting the PDW+Bridge. Whilst SQ wasn’t as good, the playback was effortless compared to the delay and the pop noise of the bridge.

The bridge is such a good concept but in practice it’s a high maintenance beauty queen.

All working fine now, hope it stays that way. I am too scare to turn it off at the back :)

What I can conclude from this experience is we need this wavestream software badly. With the bridge gone, I had to play with USB for the first time since getting the PDW+Bridge. Whilst SQ wasn't as good, the playback was effortless compared to the delay and the pop noise of the bridge.

The bridge is such a good concept but in practice it's a high maintenance beauty queen.

You still need the Bridge inside the PWD in order to use Wavestream If you intend to stream over LAN.

Yes you do, but my understanding is that wavestream acts a a virtual sound card, so as far as the player is concerned it’s playing to a sound card like it’s playing to usb and therefore should not have the long between tracks delays and popping sound.

daphan1 said: . . . wavestream acts a a virtual sound card, so as far as the player is concerned it's playing to a sound card like it's playing to usb and therefore should not have the long between tracks delays and popping sound.

This is exactly what I understand as well.

You are right; playing through USB is indeed incredibly easy. Hopefully WaveStream will work as well - but with better sound.