Can I use iTunes as a database manager for non-compatible files?

I originally used iTunes to manage my music library and it worked. Over the last while I’ve purchased formats that iTunes won’t play (DSD, higher sampling rate files), and I put all of those in a separate set of folders. I use JRiver to play those files or send them to my DS. That worked as long as there was a modest collection of files. Now the stuff-iTunes-won’t-play is getting big & messy.

Sticking it all into iTunes would simplify the database management. The question is, will iTunes do anything damaging to the files it cannot play?

I use PureMusic over iTunes.

PureMusic has an ‘Add FLAC or DSD’ function. After putting the DSD files into a separate folder, you ‘import’ them (sort of) into iTunes using PureMusic. PureMusic creates a link to those files within iTunes. When you scan your iTunes library, the FLAC or DSD files appear the same as any other album would. I don’t believe there is any alteration of the original file.

The only hitch is that you can’t move the original file location without having to re-add. I just create a separate folder on disc and put all my DSDs in there, grouped by artist/album.

The nice thing is that once done, you really wouldn’t know they’re DSDs. So much so that I name and tag the album as such.

If you want to stick with iTunes, the complimentary pair of BitPerfect and DSD Master (10 dollars and 30 dollars respectively) will allow you to easily create “Hybrid DSD” files that will load in iTunes. As a bonus, DSD Master will convert any FLAC files into ALAC files (lossless to lossless so no sonic penalty).

Investigated my own question. Bought & downloaded a dsf album. Tried add folder to library, and iTunes did precisely nothing. Presumably if it doesnt recognise the filetype it ignores it.

Oh well, just have to work on my file housekeeping or splash out on one of the two programs mentioned. It would be nice to have one program that would easily do all the housekeeping.