Cannot stream to the DS MK2? (sorry if I am late to the party)

Interesting…thanks for sharing.

SEE

1 Like

I wanted to add, the N-01XD was still a little better than the MK1 with an external streamer though. That’s goes to show how much better the MK2 has advanced in sound quality to the MK1, unlike the MK1, it’s just completely more lucid than the N-01XD, you just hear more of everything that’s going on, if that’s the proper word to describe the difference.

2 Likes

…and I’m about to dive in head first

1 Like

As we progress in years some of us change our tastes, become a bit wiser, maybe even become a bit cynical, perhaps more forgiving, less likely to chase the next thrill. A bit more “pipe and slippers”. I’ve reverted to my youth, when we had a CD player, possibly still a record player and an integrated amplifier. The CD player is now replaced with a network player, i.e. a streaming DAC. I’m done with a cabinet full of separates, too much hassle and many manufacturers get that.

I looked at the Mk2 DAC and I don’t buy that PSA Audio couldn’t get a streaming card in there without too much noise. There’s enough room in there for the choir of the Metropolitan Opera. Someone made a decision to remove streaming and Roon Ready capability from their main digital product, and that will affect buying decisions. It did for me.

I can understand the desire for “fewer boxes.” When I bought the DS Mk1, I was attracted to (among other things) the simplicity of having the network card/streamer right in the DAC. I enjoyed my Bridge II for many years and was disappointed when I learned that the Mk2 wouldn’t accommodate a Bridge III.

There is room in the Mk2 case, it seems. But now that my Mk2 is broken in, the darn thing sounds SO GOOD that I am willing to buy an external streamer – I accept Ted and Paul’s word that not having an internal streamer was important to achieving this SQ. Still, one less box would be nice.

1 Like

This is what HiFI News said in their recent review.

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 16.01.50

What I also don’t understand is that Bridge II is Roon Ready, the ConversDigital card that is apparently being used in the AirLens is Roon Ready, but the AirLens will not be Roon Ready.

What also gets me is that the Bridge was £500, the Bridge II was £900 and the AirLens is likely to be £2,000. I had a DAC without the Bridge because the Auralic Aries was better and cheaper, but the Bridge had a lot of functionality.

A problem I have with MConnect HD is that my files are ripped in WAV, so I don’t get the artwork. This is not an issue with Innuos Sense or Roon.

Are you sure of that? Paul has said non stop Roon is one of the options to use. I think you are wrong on this assumption. Price, thats another thing.

Think he said Roon endpoint, not Roon Ready.

Anyway, this is what I get using MConnect HD.

I’m pretty sure this is due to the files being WAV not FLAC, using MinimServer.

I believe they are getting roon ready. If not, then I am not sure who would want it. No software of their own, not Roon ready, no USB. they would be really painting themselves back into a corner.

I’m pretty sure my memory is correct, but the spec sheet for the ConversDigital card says Roon Ready. A mystery.

The current card is a good spec and used in other machines, e,g. by Ayre and I think Mutec, and MConnect HD is a perfectly useable upnp app.

I just stick to Roon Ready products because nothing comes close, my wife likes it and I bought lifetime when it was $500.

I think when ConversDigital say their card is Roon Ready, they are assuming the card is built into a DAC, pre amp or integrated amp as it was in the Mk I. This is what Roon say about Roon Ready:

• Partners are required to implement certain features like convenience switching, standby controls, volume controls from Roon, etc as part of the certification process. The RAAT SDK has all of the right extension points to make this possible.

When the card is in a box outside of the DAC then the above is not possible.
You could connect the AirLens to any DAC with an I2S or SPDIF connection.
What is the max PCM rate? Is DSD supported? If so, how? DoP or Native?
How do you control the volume?

This all has to be seamless for a device to be Roon Ready as it can be when the card is built into the DAC.

I’m not sure how the Air Lens is going to appear to Roon, but with a Roon Bridge, you have a configuration screen where you can specify the capabilities of the DAC it is connected to.

According to this page, the AirLens will be Roon ready.

Yes. When i first got into digital audio, years ago, I learned about the severe limitations for including metadata with WAV files and so chose uncompressed FLAC for my rips. Apparently there have been some workarounds since, which (it seems) Roon and Innuos take advantage of, but other programs don’t or can’t. (I also use MinimServer.)

1 Like

I think PSA was wise to not get involved in developing their own software for the AirLens. It seems like a huge expense and source of trouble for limited returns. Many people like Room (I personally have no use for it), which apparently has a good interface. Others can use one of several DNLA/UPNP control points.

I2S works very well with the DS Mk2, as those of us who have a PST know. But a USB out would make the AirLens work with a much larger number of DACs, which seems appealing from a sales perspective. I wonder what the calculation was that caused PSA to omit this; too noisy?

The AirLens is now listed at my nearest dealer. It says Roon Ready. The price is higher than expected - £2,500, which is $3,000.

2 Likes

Future Shop had this listing for quite sometime with an “Out of stock” in red :slightly_smiling_face:

First time I’ve seen a list price. For another £200 you can get an Auralic Aries G1.1, plenty of connectivity and amongst the best streaming and server software. Other than PS Audio owners who don’t already have a streamer, I can’t see who would want it, but maybe it is really only aimed at PS Audio DAC owners and there are clearly a lot of them.

1 Like

I still use DS DAC 1 with Bridge II inside (with some 3M absorbers). Single box devotee waiting for the next super single box :joy:

2 Likes

I completely agree. I was just saying that in response to someone saying it was not Roon Ready.

Hi Brian,
I just picked up on your comment “If not (Roon Ready) then I am not sure who would want it”.
I’m wondering if you think that a device has to be Roon Ready in order to be a Roon endpoint?
Roon Ready is a testing and certification process undertaken by Roon.

There is another approach. Roon offer software called “Roon Bridge”. This is what streamers like the Magna Mano and Holo Red use. Neither are Roon Ready but they work just fine as as Roon endpoints.

So even if the AirLens wasn’t Roon Ready and ran Roon Bridge software instead, I’m sure there would still be people that would want it.

You may be right. That might be what Paul was talking about.