Cannot stream to the DS MK2? (sorry if I am late to the party)

If a device wishing to be a Roon End point doesn’t meet Roon Ready standards it will not appear available as a device to stream to in the program.

Hi Paul. I’m not so sure about that.
Devices running Roon Bridge software (eg Magna Mano, Holo Red) are not Roon Ready. In fact Danny, the founder of Roon agrees:

But of course you can stream to them from Roon.
If I was at home I would show a screen shot of what a Roon Bridge device looks like to Roon.

There seems to be some confusion here. A device doesn’t have to be Roon Ready to work with Roon. Roon Ready devices have undergone a certification process by Roon, the idea being to assure the best Roon ‘experience’.
Streamers like the Holo Red are not Roon Ready. They run Roon software called Roon Bridge. They also work with Roon perfectly fine.

1 Like

Ouch that’s a big statement. Did not know this.

If you are referring to Danny’s statement then yes it is.
But to be clear, that’s not the situation here. The AirLens is not a RoonBridge device being passed off as Roon Ready.

However it does beg the question @Paul
Has the AirLens been submitted to Roon for Roon Ready certification?
I ask because I reckon Danny would be equally miffed at a product being advertised as Roon Ready when it isn’t.

If the AL is running Roon Bridge, does it matter if it’s Roon Ready? It shouldn’t matter.

You are not using the AL for volume control, it’s not upsampling, etc…

1 Like

The AirLens does not run Roon Bridge software. ConversDigital software use the Roon SDK. That is one of the requirements for Roon Ready certification. So that box is ticked :slightly_smiling_face:

To your point ‘does it matter’? I don’t think so in this case (though it’s all speculation until they appear in the wild)
I say that because to get the superior integration that Roon Ready is about from an external streamer, I think the streamer would need to connect to a DAC via USB.
Are the I2S and SPDIF protocols ‘chatty’ enough to support the control commands required to support bidirectional volume control for example? If I change the volume on the DAC using the remote or front panel controls, will the volume be reflected in Roon? NFI. But that’s a question I have.

And even it the sort of tight integration that Roon describe is not possible, would that preclude it from getting Rood Ready certification? Possibly not.
After all, the ConversDigital card is apparently Roon Ready, so Roon must have different processes for different classes of device.

To me, the most important thing is the performance. I don’t care if it is Roon Ready or not. As long as I can stream to it from Roon.

2 Likes

It does. This is without question.