Clarification on "Bit Perfect Test" and Set Up Per the "How To" Section

Is ‘driver selection/setup’ critical for getting the ‘best sound’ even when using the Bridge, or does this primarily pertain to ‘USB computer audio?’ I was reading about running a “Bit Perfect Test” in the “How To” section and I am uncertain if the same setup recommendations apply to Bridge users…

Also, I am still running JRiver 18 because I read quite a while back that it sounded better than later versions. In the “How To” section on “…setting up JRiver 19 for DSD playback” the emphasis is on version 19. If I hit the ‘update’ button on JRiver, it will update the current version (I’m thinking version 19 is not the current version…??). Where can I find the download for version 19?

Thank you!beer_gif

JRMC 18 should work fine and the setup probably isn’t that different. The current version is 20. Older versions are at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=20.0 Run the bit perfect test and if you pass you should be fine in terms of sound quality (i.e., you’re not applying any settings that change the files)

Is there any reason ‘not’ to use the current version 20. It’s easiest for me to just hit ‘update.’ I’m not sure if the thread is specifically recommending version 19 for a reason, or if perhaps said thread was written prior to the release of vs 20.

I started with JRiver 19 and am currently on JRiver 20.115. I always update to the latest version. YMMV but I think newer is, almost always, better with JRiver!

P.S. I’ve run the bit-perfect test several times: always comes out bit-perfect! That’s good enough for me.

Thanks Steve and Amsco…Much appreciated!

Enjoy your DS. It’s a special machine!!

amsco15 said Enjoy your DS. It's a special machine!!
It really is. It's living up to all the press (and 'PR').... I find that the exceptional clarity of the DS makes some recordings sound as if the treble is too hot, but on other recordings the results are truly amazing. I have less than thirty hours on it, so there may be some improvements to come. I'm happy to have the DS in my system.

Well crap…installed the new ‘20.’ version of JRiver…Didn’t realize I’d have to set everything up again. Anyway, now ‘PS Audio Dac’ doesn’t appear as an option in JRiver Media Network under the “Add or Configure DLNA Servers”…What now?? ‘Help!’

ADDENDUM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I think I have it now…required a reboot!

It happens on occasion. Rarely is a reboot of the DS required. Just type your DS IP address into any browser (your DS should be assigned a static IP). Click Reset UPnP: JRiver will then show the DS.

timequest said
amsco15 said Enjoy your DS. It's a special machine!!

It really is. It’s living up to all the press (and ‘PR’)… I find that the exceptional clarity of the DS makes some recordings sound as if the treble is too hot, but on other recordings the results are truly amazing. I have less than thirty hours on it, so there may be some improvements to come. I’m happy to have the DS in my system.

There’s its more to come in the looming few hundreds of hours just in front of you. It’ll flesh out more.

Enjoy.

Everything’s running great…Haven’t tried DSD yet. I’m anxious to compare DSD to PCM, but I’m not certain of what to expect since the DS already converts everything to DSD…?? Also, what happens to ‘DSD’ files ‘wrapped’ in DoP (what conversions are taking place - e.g.: DSD > PCM > DSD)…? How will the Bridge2 handle DSD files (upsampled to 'double DSD)? Can’t quite wrap my brain around it.

No conversion is going on with DoP. It just takes the stream of one bit numbers and packages it to look like PCM 176/24 (I think it packages something like 16 bits as data and 8 bits as housekeeping stuff) for transmission purposes. The DS recognizes it as what it is an unwraps it so it again looks like a stream of single bits. B2 handles DSD the same way as B1–single rate only and no processing. The processing is all handled by the DS.