I happen to be adding a P12 to my system that already had a P3 on the front end (as I’ve posted elsewhere here). Ultimately I cannot reasonably make room for both P’s in my rack/living room without upsetting the other members of the family, so I have to choose one.
I had certain intentions but wound up listening in this order:
- P3 front end gear / no P12 (amp direct to wall)
- P3 front end gear / P12 feeding a class A, 25W amp
- P3 front end gear / no P12 (amp direct to wall)
- P12 powering everything, preamp and amp on P12 HC outlet
The first point is my usual setup. Then, the best was #2, P3/P12 combined, but it seemed to lack slightly in the midrange. There was a very appealing sparkle to the high frequencies and the apparent reverb of a recording, the space around instruments and drums. A sort of energy or live space, even. Dynamics are strong. Again, maybe more mids would make things feel more like sound I am used to hearing.
BTW, I use an iPhone app called Decibel X to compare my impressions against the frequency spectrum graph.
Back to my usual setup: P3 only (all outlets regenerated). Soundstage and size of recording space seems compressed, diminished, rounded off in the corners where the previous seemed open and airy. Thinking to myself, “can I live with this? um, well, don’t want to but no way I’m going to get P3 and P12 to fit…” So…
P12 feeding all. A compromise to the good side. Not as airy as the two units, but airy enough. At least for now, I’m staying with it. Originally I admit the conventional wisdom of plugging amp directly to wall (which I’ve heard/read a lot over the years) seemed to be the route to go and I guess I should try it. But, having heard how good my amp can be for what I value in sound…well, I think this is the balance.
The mids are there, the airiness is mostly there, great dynamics.
Hope this helps, @George_P