Conflicting max continuous/peak load specs for P3 (and P5/P10)

Hello PS Audio,

Because of an online discussion/conversation I had I noticed there are conflicting specifications for maximum continuous/peak load numbers for P3 (and perhaps also P5/P10). There’s a difference in the specs on the website compared to those in the manuals.

Can yan please clarify what the ‘true’ specifications are? Has there been a hardware revision?

I also remember that some time back PS Audio mentioned maximum peak currents: 40A for P3, 50A for P5 and 70A for P10. I can no longer find these numbers. Are they still true? If yes, for a 230V AC input into the P3 this comes to a peak power output of 230*40=9200W. This also is a number much higher than the peak load specs, should these numbers be seen as a very short term peak output capability, perhaps for a small number of milliseconds?

On your website http://www.psaudio.com/perfectwave-p3-power-plant/ and then tab ‘Specifications’ the numbers for the P3 are:

Maximum Continuous Load 800VA 1200VA
Maximum Peak Load 1000VA 1500VA
And the manual states:
All P3’s labeled US or JP can output a continuous load of up to 800 Volt-Amps of pure, regulated
AC, with peak momentary output capabilities of up to 1000 Volt-Amps. All P3’s labeled EX, GR,
or UK can output a continuous load of up to 900 Volt-Amps of pure, regulated AC, with peak
momentary output capabilities of up to 1000 Volt-Amps.

Hope you can shed some light on this, thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Antoine.

The specifications list on the website is correct, the manual a bit conservative.

The figures of peak amperage have to do with a cycle by cycle maximum current and are not listed in the specs because they are tough to quantify the conditions under which they exist. Basically, Power Plants can handle surprising amounts of peak amperage when they fill in missing tops to AC power sine waves - that takes extraordinary stored power - which Power Plants easily handle.

Hello Paul, thank you very much for your fast reply. All clear! :)