Dealing with my CDs

I have 4 black CanAm units and I love them. I have 2 of them for about 20 years and they still look like new. I have two 3-drawer units and one 4-drawer unit that are just for housing CDs and 1 other unit that is designed to hold some of my gear. I have the large table top option that covers the top of 2 units wide. It is solid as rock fully loaded, so I have gear on top too.

Personally, I do not have any issue with how they look. My brother-in-law used to tease me about having my Craftsman toolboxes in the house. :grinning:

1 Like

Wife objects to it more than I do. She thinks they’re ugly. I’m looking at the functionality, it’s the best product out there for my needs.

I have 4 3-drawer units and 2 2-drawer units. Once I fill them, that’s it.

Ultimately it was my vision, but need to keep her happy too.

Agreed! It is about functionality for me too. It works perfect for my needs. My wife has never had an issue with them, so I guess I am lucky about that. She has always been supportive of my audiophile interests.

Very nicely done!

Enjoy.

Happy wife, happy life :grin:

1 Like

I am inspired by what you have shared and what you have done. I’ll post a picture of my CD storage and you can make fun of me. I looked at Can-Am and I am trying to imagine trading up.
But thanks for that post!!!

@aangen I’m guessing they are rabbit proof!

1 Like

This topic can sometimes be a sore spot. I lost so much of my collection to Hurricane Katrina. But nothing heals loss like relishing in the items that came through unscathed. That’s not to mention the others I’ve accumulated over the years. You all inspire me to make what I have much more mobile.

1 Like

I would have loved to get the Can Am cabinets, but instead chose to build a 28-drawer credenza for the listening room. Each drawer holds about 56 single CDs. And I’ve outgrown it!

2 Likes

I had three three drawer units upstairs in a walk in closet and they were full. When I agreed to finish the basement it was on the condition that I would finally have a spaec just for my music. I had to cut that space in half when the mother in law had a stroke and moved into the newly finished basement. I added another 7 drawers in the process to allow me room to expand. Once I fill these I’m done. That’ll give me enough space for 4300 CD’s in jewel cases. Box sets fit on the shelving built into the room.
As i said earlier, may not be the best looking but is the best functionally.

3 Likes

Here are a few pics of my cabinet:

12 Likes

nice

1 Like

Reminds me of a library Dewey Decimal system cabinet (but more colorful). I’m not nearly the hard core CD collector as some of you guys, but I’m actively adding CDs as people dump their collections.

2 Likes

Nothing fancy for me. I have a gazillion CD-Rs from over the years (Don’t ask, don’t tell!) and I have found this the most sensible setup. I use the same boxes and two-sided sleeves that someone posted earlier in the thread.

1 Like

Interesting question especially for me lately. Because lately, I’m getting tired of my CD collection, not the music but the physical discs. And I’m seriously thinking of shrinking the scope of my system down to vinyl for active listening and streaming for background music.
I have a serious offer to buy my PST, DSD and entire CD collection, the entire kit and caboodle in one swoop. Maybe.

I had considered something similar when I ripped my ever increasing CD collection to a Innuos ZENith Mk III. Glad I held off as many of my CDs are irreplaceable, and surprisingly not available on any streaming service. Every once and a while I dig up one of these gems. Of course it will depend on the nature of your collection. To a large degree my collection represents music that was not available on vinyl at the time I purchased it. Managing a large CD and/or record collection can be a PITA. Storage is a continuing challenge.

1 Like

Just (a little more than) curious, what type of CD quantity might that be?

I took the “Show ‘Em Off” approach, probably because it reminds me of my happy days working in a record store. I love perusing the shelves and grabbing a stack to take to the listening room. All the CD towers are the Benno model that IKEA discontinued years ago. Not sure what I’ll do if/when I need to expand.

11 Likes

Not going to count but hundreds. Several hundred.

Blows my meager collection away, and then some.

1 Like