Default volume for DS DAC

That’s exactly the point.

I totally agree!

:slight_smile: well we can agree to disagree… Adding complexity … for free… is not my idea of a good software plan. and its not about the money… Its more about keeping the interface simple … and not adding bells and whistles that don’t add a lot of value - where again - if I’m going direct… wouldn’t step one be: ‘where’s my volume control’? per Elk’s post above - when have you seen a pre-amp with volume instructions. I do have a digital pre (as well as an analog one) where I can’t see the actual volume unless I rotate the knob … first thing I did was rotate the volume knob counter clockwise to see where I was before I played anything. I think going the software route is a bad move as you only add complexity - and nobody here is really in the position to say how easy or difficult that might be - and if future releases could be impacted by it… My scenario in the above post about someone using another source on their pre and blowing up their speakers because the DS is set to low -(and not realizing it) is just as viable as what happened in the OPs instance.

In the end - its Paul’s call…

I have to thank a very nice chap at PSA explaining to me a few days ago that playing both the DAC and the Pre at 100 was ‘as fast as it could go’ but that I shouldn’t. Really. It’s not intuitive to me having two volume controls in the system (a third actually including the Mini DSP). So I play the DAC and the DSP at ‘full/100’ and the pre as the variable. Self censoring myself to 75.

Yes. This is what I do. Pre is my single volume control. Dac at 100

1 Like

How about entering mute mode and when you try to adjust volume it says Muted over the whole screen. This means that you must be able to adjust the volume while in mute and then unmute to operate.