Direct Stream DAC MK2 Latest Firmware - 2.6.2

The Release Notes file is zero bytes after unzipping. I was able to upgrade firmware to 2.6.2. But the “Massive” FPGA file does not show up in the upgrade menu. Yes the thumb drive is FAT-32. I did not have this problem when upgrading to Antero.

It’s a known issue that’s being worked on right now

so should we not download now?

I’ve downloaded it successfully from Aaron’s post, not the main site. It seems nice, and QUIET.

4 Likes

Go ahead!

1 Like

https://www.psaudio.com/pages/downloads to download Massive and the 2.6.2 firmware.

3 Likes

Loads easy, sounds good so far, I’ll listen more while I take the FPGA tea… This is is a gift wrapped present of agita for the measure once, cut forever measurer of measurements frat row. I weighed my little drive after I loaded the new FPGA on it…I can’t hear any difference in the digital weight of that drive even though the weight is the same!

1 Like

We came home earlier, and the first thing I did was downloading and uploading the Massive update.

Paul is right to call it Mountain Top! It took a good half hour or longer for the new FW to settle. But the SQ improvement is quite amazing after that! Every peice of instrument becomes more three dimensional. The vocals are, wow, never sounded more realistic. The wait is worth it! :pray: :pray:

4 Likes

Oh boy. I will see if I can get PS Audio to send me this on a stick to load. . . in time. I’m no good at these upgrades on my own. But I’m going to wait a bit–I’m breaking in a new amp (sounds wonderful) and have a new transport that I think needs some more hours to be all it can be. . .don’t want to introduce a new variable for a spell. But sure sounds promising.

1 Like

Great to hear that new wonderful update’s released! Unfortunately it will be another two weeks of holiday around France’s most wonderful wine districts (Champagne and currently Bourgogne) before I even have a chance to download it.
First reviews are most promising, but do keep sharing your first impressions!

2 Likes

Loud white noise still present with antero-228 playing DSD256. Unbelievable this is still an issue on an 8K DAC after 6 months from release! :angry: I guess I will be calling support.

4 Likes

that is unfortunate, assume it does the same, as before, with all flavors of DSD files.

Smart move, no need to rush, and a physical copy is nice as a fall back.

Did you load Massive? Or are you trying antero with 2.6.2?

It was a bit unclear in your post. Just checking

Massive and Antero is the FPGA load.

I didn’t have the loud white noise issue before, but now I do with all of my DSD files, be it 64, 128 or 256. Makes them unlistenable.

1 Like

I have loaded 2.6.2 and the just released Massive (antero-228), I get white noise with this one and with antero-208. The only way to get rid of it is downgrading FPGA to antero-198.

Thanks! I’ll pass it on to engineering.

Ted Smith was made aware of this issue with antero-208: Firmware updates and fixes for the new Directstream MK2 - #801 by 2muchgear

1 Like

This is an old issue. Ted has written about it and acknowledged the issue. For me it’s not all the time, at least with 228. I could play a DSF album and it would play the first several songs then white noise would appear on the next. If I played any redbook file, the white noise would go away. I only have a dozen DSF files, am going to dabble in dsd256 eventually, so it’s not a huge issue. Would like it solved though.

2.6.2 and Massive updates worked fine for me…

1 Like