Direct track access

I insert a disk and start it playing. Then I stop (not pause) the disc in order to answer the phone.

I hit 2 on the remote to resume a playback with the second track. After a couple of moments, the display changes to the large truck number 2 which should mean that the track is playing. However, there is no sound and the progress bar does not move. I wait 30 seconds or so to make sure that nothing will happen. I hit the next track button on the remote, and the display changes to a large 3; but again, no sound and no progress bar.

On my old player, I could jump directly to a track by pressing the number on the remote even if I had not started the disc playing from the beginning. Is this feature not officially supported on the DMP? The change in the display suggests that it is supposed to work.

It should. I insert a disc, let it get recognized, then press a number on the remote and it slowly goes there. Let’s make sure you have the latest firmware - but it should work.

It’s the ‘answer the phone’ part that is key to getting the player to behave this way. Let a disc sit in the unit for a long period of time and track navigation breaks. I’ve seen it do what magister describes and I’ve also seen it correctly change the display to the track you’ve asked it to play yet the unit actually plays track 1. Most of my experience with the issue has been though direct screen input, but apparently the remote has the same or similar issues. It won’t happen unless you let the DMP sit with a disc loaded for an extended period of time. I pointed this out to Dennis several weeks ago - he may already have a solution.

BTW, has the My Playlist page gone tango uniform today or is it just my connection that is flaky?

Thanks for both replies. Paul, I am running 1.94 (and have been since it was released). I am eagerly looking forward to the next firmware, hoping that it will fix several issues that I continue to experience.

I thought the phone call might be a long one, so I hit Stop not Pause; but it was only 3-4 minutes. That should not be enough to cause problems. I have noted that leaving a disc in for a longer time, as PB says, causes it to lose track of where it is if you hit Pause; I confess that I haven’t timed this, but my impression is that it’s maybe 15-20 minutes or more. I suppose it might be appropriate for the DMP to ‘give up’ after a certain amount of time without playing in order to avoid wear on the drive mechanism – although ideally it would remember where it was at but spin down the drive if needed.

Peanut Butter said I've also seen it correctly change the display to the track you've asked it to play yet the unit actually plays track 1.
It did this to me tonight also.
BTW, has the My Playlist page gone tango uniform today or is it just my connection that is flaky?
Tonight, for the third time, the Playlist refused to create an 'unknown' entry for a new CD. I've gotten in the habit of going online and locating cover art for SACDs or most classical CDs before I even put them in the drive; then it won't even let me use what I went to the trouble of finding. Grrrr . . . . These have all been CDs from the late 80s, early digital -- is there something different about how those discs were set up?

Edit: obviously I’m feeling some frustration with navigational issues tonight. But it’s only fair to mention the following. I listened, for the first time in years, to a CD from 1987 of Haydn’s Divertimenti played by the Linde-Consort. The performances are elegant, sparkling, and expertly played by one of the finest authentic performance practice groups. I’ve always enjoyed the music, but the sound through the DMP – glorious, amazing. It’s early digital, but the EMI folks knew something about what they were doing and I heard it tonight like never before.

I’ve had the same issue with direct track access. When it occurs, try pressing the stop button and then press your direct track selection again.