DirectStream DAC loses control in Roon after lengthy shuffle play

I wanted to know if anyone was aware of this issue as it has happened to me under both Huron and RedCloud. I have been doing some break in of both new headphones and a new headphone amp. My usual method of operation is to go to the screen in Roon where all my albums reside and select shuffle play and just let it play out in the background while logging hours on my amp and headphones. After it has been playing for a few hours the album artwork disappears and I can no longer pause the music playing with the DirectStream DAC remote. I mentioned that this had happened to me with Huron and logged the issue here. I can regain control by turning the power off on the rear power switch and turning the DAC back on after a few seconds. Everything returns to normal operation and does not repeat until I go back and do shuffle play for a length f time. I never clocked how long as I leave it playing for hours at a time. I had hopped it would be fixed in RedCloud but it has not been fixed or addressed to the best of my knowledge. So my question is can anyone else try and repeat this behavior and/or is PSA aware of this issue?

Hi jaiello,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this and sorry to hear that you are having this trouble.

The DAC should not be freezing up as you describe.

If you can, please tell me if you are listening to MQA files, DSD files or standard PCM 44/16?

As well, have you experimented with playing the DAC without the SD card inserted in the unit?

We ask because this will help us to understand this issue better.

As well, you are welcome to reach out to us about this or anything else at service@psaudio.com

Thanks,

• Jeremy

Jeremy it happens no matter what files are playing. When I select all albums it plays everything in my collection which is all the types of files you mention. Sometimes I filter it down to a specific file type such as a record label or just DSD 64 files and it happens on all types. In other words it’s not file type specific. I have never tried it without the CD card inserted. I will try this next. By the way the DAC is not freezing. It still plays and can be paused from within Roon. It just will not respond to commands from the remote nor will it display art work. I will try it without the SD card tonight and report in the morning. There will obviously be no art work this way so the only thing I will be able to test is the pause button on the remote.

Tried it last night with the SD card removed and this morning I had control of the unit via the remote. Not sure what this means but it is interesting. It’s also interesting to note that there was a new Bridge II update available when I woke up this morning. What’s that about?

Hi jaiello,

We released a new Bridge II update last Thursday.

I highly recommend following this update tutorial to get your Bridge II updated:

http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-update-bridge-ii/

This new firmware has a host of new features and we are discovering that the Bridge II’s microprocessor is reaching it’s limits.

Since you are using Roon there is a way to disable their primary artwork algorithm.

Initially the software looks for the largest artwork file available.

You can change that to look for a smaller file or a custom file.

Find those instructions here:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_change_the_cover_art_of_an_album%3F

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks,

• Jeremy

Jeremy I did the update first thing this morning. I have the DAC on shuffle play right now using Roon and I am anxious to see if this new update has any effect. I will report back after a few more hours of shuffle play.

Hi jaiello,

Sounds good.

I’ll keep my eye out for your reply.

If you continue to have issues you are welcome to reach out to me directly at jeremyb@psaudio.com

Thanks,

• Jeremy

Jeremy my DAC has been playing in shuffle mode using Roon for about eight hours now with no loss of remote functionality or loss of art work. I think we have a winner. Color me pink…as in tickled pink.

HI Jaiello,

This is great news!

Stay in touch and let us know if you have any further issues with anything.

Best wishes,

• Jeremy

BTW, what’s the resolution used by DS for artwork?

Is the latest firmware version for the Bridge II 3.4.5?

stax said

Is the latest firmware version for the Bridge II 3.4.5?

Hi stax,

The latest Bridge II firmware is 3.5.1.

You can follow this tutorial to install the firmware into your Bridge II:

If you have any trouble please reach out to us at service@psaudio.com and we will be happy to assist you.

Thanks,

• Jeremy
Jeremy B said

HI Jaiello,

This is great news!

Stay in touch and let us know if you have any further issues with anything.

Best wishes,

• Jeremy

Jeremy seems like I spoke too soon. The problem I reported still exists. If I put Roon into shuffle mode and play it continuously for many hours while breaking in a component I am unable to pause or control the DAC with the remote. I also lose artwork. A rear power swtich reboot always fixes the problem. I don’t know how many hours it takes for this to happen but you guys should be able to repeat this yourselves.
jomal said

BTW, what’s the resolution used by DS for artwork?

Not sure what your specific question is. I have some album art embedded within my FLAC files that are 1500x1500. I assume the Bridge down-converts for display on the DS. What it down-converts to is unknown by me.

Hello! Thanks for your comments.

My question regarding cover art resolution was related to an issue I had with DS not showing or delaying (a lot) their exhibition.
Now it seems to be solved, since I’ve changed my LAN connections.

jaiello said

Jeremy seems like I spoke too soon. The problem I reported still exists. If I put Roon into shuffle mode and play it continuously for many hours while breaking in a component I am unable to pause or control the DAC with the remote. I also lose artwork. A rear power swtich reboot always fixes the problem. I don’t know how many hours it takes for this to happen but you guys should be able to repeat this yourselves.

Hi jaiello,

Sorry to hear that you are still having this issue. If you can, please reach out to us at service@psaudio.com or give us a ring at 720.406.8946 ext 2 and we’ll be happy to get you direct assistance.

Thanks,

• Jeremy