DirectStream DAC MKII Beta Tester Reviews

Among my many jobs I worked at Xerox in Wilsonville Oregon where all of the ink for their printers world-wide was manufactured. While there I learned that they have a Unit of Measure for ink, FTL. Full Truck Load. A 45’ tractor trailer was one FTL. Thousands of FTL/year left that facility. It’s a clever business model.

1 Like

On the return do you want just the MKII? We should keep the rest? Remote, etc…?

I worked for Xerox as well. In Canandaigua, NY I was an automation tech at the ink jet focus group where we manufactured the print heads and the ink tanks

The printers were basically a give away (the razor and the blade model) that said you might be surprised in the cost of manufacturing the ink tanks. The equipment, facilities, clean rooms and people it takes is significant

@vkennedy61 did you spend any time at PARK in Palo Alto?

Best,
-JP

3 Likes

I never made it to PARK. I did spend some time in Maidenhead UK and several visits to Canandaigua. Super people all around. Sure there was the normal corporate crazy, but I felt that the staff I interacted with were fantastic.

1 Like

I did some work for Xerox in London in 1974. They wanted to be able to play with parameters to help decide on business pricing plans. I wrote, in Fortran, something very similar to a spreadsheet. We used a computer centre with a Univac 1108. Programs ran in the blink of an eye, even then!

Oops, sorry, I’m not a beta tester - being in the UK I wasn’t allowed to buy a Mk 2 yet, so I’m very jealous.

4 Likes

You’re probably right. I was holding out all of my hope that SW was going to be able to fix it but I guess now. :pensive: From the sounds of it, the fix doesn’t take very long so we should be able to crank through the few that need to come in.

2 Likes

Yeah, just the unit. And this goes for everyone!! We have plenty of remotes, cables, etc. We don’t need anymore.

For your situation though, sounds like Barry is thinking code can fix what you’re dealing with. You should see an email from him directly pretty soon.

3 Likes

Oh! Oh! Oh! That’s awesome.

1 Like

I spent time at PARK, Dundalk Ireland and Manaus Brazil
Never made it to Wilsonville but they did offer me a job there when Xerox ceased operations in Canandaguia. I declined and took a job with my current employer

1 Like

Thanks James, I sent back everything including cable and remote because I have spares and do not use the stock cord anyway. It is great to hear my unit contributed to finding a cure! I am looking forward to getting it back soon, and I am sure you have done the free break in service for me already. :grin:

3 Likes

I use to work for Univac in Bristol, TN. Mostly on T770 high speed printers.

1 Like

Fascinating depth of penetration, so to speak, of the printer community here. My best friend two doors down in the 60’s dad worked at Xerox (and much to his chagrin left before the stock went ballistic) let us try out this strange new device he brought home.

It was an early Edison-worthy spinning cylinder, that you could curl a photo over, and it went through this lengthy longitudinal process of “scanning” it (doubt we had that name for it at the time) and transmitting it over a phone line (pre-modem). You put the phone handset into the cradle of the device and it squawked tones into the receiver.

We sent a pic from our house to theirs (ironically just down the block) over telephony - of John Lennon with “Cool, eh?” scrawled on it in pen.

Brave New World sorta stuff.

5 Likes

I have tested all the inputs on my mk2 switching them in manually and with auto select on. I happy to report no issues. I am still in the process of breaking the DAC in and it is running 24 hours a day.
At night I use the usb drive via the PST with some hi-rez tracks on repeat. I have been blessed with a well behaved sample. I hope this continues. I will be glad when a new UI update that fixes the operational issue that I have previously posted.

1 Like

“Mr. Watson–come here–I want to see you.”

2 Likes

Seriously - while I was writing that, it seemed that level of tech.

1 Like

Guys, The acronym is PARC ( Palo Alto Research Center ).

6 Likes

You know I was walking the dog a little while ago and realized that. Made me chuckle at myself.

Zen and the art of dog walking. It’s when I do my best thinking.

Sorry about that. Did you reach out to our sales department? And never got a reply?

General query: what is most beneficial for breaking in the MKII dac: does the resolution of the files matter; and if so, what would be the best spread?

1 Like

That cradle thingie that you put the phone handset in was the original phone line modem (modulator-demodulator). I had one back in the day.
Our first fax machine was a technical revolution and sped up the document transmission process by days or weeks. Ahhhh technology. :rofl:

4 Likes