DirectStream DAC with Network Bridge does not playback continuously

Hello all,

I am working with the following equipment
DirectStream DAC with Network Bridge 1
JRiver MC20.0.115
QNAP TVS-463 NAS Intel Quad Core with 16 GB Memory
1GB Ethernet wired connection through a 1GB Linksys switch

I have checked “Disable SetNext Support (for broken renderers)” for the DAC.
(see attachment “01 DLNA Controller Options - check_Disable SetNext Support.gif” for screen shot)

I have checked to make sure “Stop After Each Item” is not checked under Playback Shuffle.
(see attachment “02 Playback Shuffle - not checked_Stop After Each Item.gif” for screen shot)

2015-06-14

Today I have tried more test to troubleshoot my continuous playback problem.
I selected my DAC and then loaded a complete CD into Playing Now from my NAS and the play back starts.
(see attachment ‘03 Add to Playing Now.gif’ for screen shot)

The first four tracks ended and the next track started.
Track 5 also started but stopped playing during the track and the rest of the Playing Now list is not playing but still present.

I restarted track 5 and after it ended track 6 starting playing.
Track 6 ended abruptly 1:58 into the track and track 7 started playing.
The right panel showing my devices (Playing Now Zone) jumped back up to Player but my DAC was playing.
When I clicked my DAC I could see track 7 was playing. The remaining entries that were in the Playing Now list have disappeared.
When I reselected the CD I can see that track 7 is playing.

This is very confusing. I thought I had the JRiver configuration wrong so I tried another DAC with the same configuration.

To continue testing my network I put my old DAC back in my stereo using the same Ethernet cable and same switch port on the same switch.

I selected the same CD and clicked Play.
The CD played back from track 1 through and including track 12 without any problems.

This leads me to believe I have a problem in my PS Audio DAC configuration or the Network Bridge in the DAC.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Thank you,

Chip

What Server are you running on the Qnap? Is the the built in qNap server? If it is try it with minimserver, which install on most qnap Nas’s.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I have AssetUPnP and MinimServer installed as native applications on my QNAP. My test were run using AssetUPnP since it is the server I use most of the time.

I will try MinimServer tonight when I am at home and post my results.

A different question; I tried to add attachments to my post but I do not see them in the post. I used the blue ATTACHMENTS button on the screen just below the text box. Do I need to do something else to have them available for readers of the post?

Thanks for your suggestion,

Chip

Chip, believe you also need to install Minimwatch on a control computer if your files are on a NAS,

’ If you’ve installed MinimServer on the NAS, you can install MinimWatch on a Windows PC if you want to use the Windows PC to configure and manage MinimServer. You don’t need to be running MinimWatch to browse your music collection or play music.’

Hi,

I have MinimWatch installed on a laptop now so that is not a problem. It is a useful program and should be part of every MinimServer install.

I have used MinimServer for about a year now serving up mostly classical audio files to other network DACs in my house.

Thanks for the reminder, Chip

I have found that since i set the Bridge to manual and shut off its dhcp it has worked perfectly…Im using Jriver 20.115 also

Hi Jim,

When you say ‘set the Bridge to manual and shut off its dhcp’ are you referring to fixed IP addresses?

I have all my audio equipment (DACs, NAS, TVs, etc) set with fixed IP addresses in my DHCP server in the router.

I think I have the equivalent you describe since my IP addresses do not change.

Chip

Hi all,
I have tried JRiver with MinimServer tonight and the results are not good. In fact they are worse than yesterday since it plays fewer tracks or only one track before stopping.

Start JRiver MC20
Switch to MinimServer and click Load Library
Select PefectWave DAC

Click Audio and select same CD again as yesterday.
Add all tracks to Playing Now
I can see 12 tracks in the Playing Now window for PerfectWave DAC
Track 1 starts playback – cover art does not display on DAC, track name, artist, album name does show
Playback ends after track 1
Does not continue to the next track

Close JRiver
Restart JRiver
Playing Now > Playing from MinimServer [servername] – from previous session
Select PerfectWave DAC
The Playing Now playlist for PerfectWave DAC is still in the window from the previous session.
Right click PerfectWave DAC in the Playing Now right pane
Click Controls > Play
Playback starts
Track 1 starts playback – cover art does not display on DAC, track name, artist, album name does show
Track 2 starts playback – cover art does not display on DAC, track name, artist, album name does show
Track 2 stops 25 seconds before the end and the right pane flickers and goes back to Playing Now > Player
I still hear music playing.
Select Playing Now > PerfectWave DAC and I can see Track 3 has started playing but it is now the only track in the Playing Now window for the PerfectWave DAC. I also experienced this behavior yesterday.
Track 3 ends after playing through to the end.

If I swap back to my old network DAC the tracks play through as expected from MinimServer.

Now I have tried two media servers on my NAS and neither will work with my PefectWave DAC and Network Bridge 1.

I am desperate for a solution since I would like to keep the PerfectWave DAC in my system but this is just not working for me.

Any Ideas are welcome.

Chip

If you have an iPad or phone you might install mconnect free version and it should see minimserver and DAC, try playing, in other words bypass JRiver to narrow problem down. Btw where is JRiver installed, I missed that ?

Hi all,

I have tried JRiver with MinimServer tonight and the results are good. In fact they are the best I have experienced.

Start JRiver MC20
Reset UPnP from Network Bridge web page – read about this on other forum threads
Select PerfectWave DAC
Clear PerfectWave DAC playlist
Confirm ‘Playing from MinimServer[servername]’
Click Audio and select same CD again as before.
Add all tracks to Playing Now

The complete CD, tracks 1 through 12, played as expected after the UPnP reset from the Network Bridge web page.
When the tracks are playing I can see the track name, artist, album name, Input PCM, Rate, Bits, and Phase displayed.
I do not see the Album Art displayed.

I do not think it is normal that I should have to reset the Network Bridge UPnP but if it works then at least I can finally listen to music instead of troubleshooting technology.

This seems to confirm my idea that the problem resides in the Network Bridge.

Now I will continue with other tracks to see if my PerfectWave DAC continues playing.

Find a work around for one problem and you realize you still have another problem!

Why does the Album Art not display.

Life with technology can be challenging.

Any ideas on the Album Art problem?

Any ideas on why I need to reset the Network Bridge?

Thanks,
Chip

Do you have an SD card installed? It needs to be installed for cover art to work.

Dennis

I have an SD Card installed but I think it is for the PerfectWave DAC firmware.

I think the SD card for the Album Art is needed for the PWT and not for the PerfectWave DAC since it should get the Album Art from the FLAC metadata.

Am I wrong?

Chip

Chip,

Yes you are wrong. The PWD needs an SD card for cover art.

Dennis

Will it use the card installed for the firmware or do I need to instal a new card?

Yes it will use the Firmware card,

Dennis

The firmware card is in yet I do not see the over art but the tracks are playing as expected.
I see the cover in JRiver.

Then you have an additional problem. Make sure the card is unlocked. And make sure jRiver is displaying cover art. And make sure jriver is sending the correct size/format cover art to the bridge. I am not sure what else to tell you to try.

Dennis

Also make sure the contact pins on the card face up.

Hi All,

I have the SD card installed with the pins up. I just started a new thread for this problem.

After reading many other posts I came upon one where a user reported that he also had trouble with playback and used the Network Bridge web page Reset UPnP Server command to get things working.

I tried this a couple of days ago and I have been playing tracks uninterrupted since the reset. I am not sure why I needed the reset but I guess it is a command on the web page for a reason.

So the work around I have found for my problem with playback is Reset UPnP Server from the Network Bridge web page.

I would like to thank everyone who gave me advice and guidance with this problem over the last couple of weeks.

Chip

chip said Hi Jim,

When you say ‘set the Bridge to manual and shut off its dhcp’ are you referring to fixed IP addresses?

I have all my audio equipment (DACs, NAS, TVs, etc) set with fixed IP addresses in my DHCP server in the router.

I think I have the equivalent you describe since my IP addresses do not change.

Chip

in your DS menu select static IP and manually enter the IP , subnet, Gateway and dns It will work more reliably but it will still occasionally get mucked up and you need to just power off the unit by the back switch and power back on…but when you have it set to static in the DS it should go right back to the address info you entered in the ds…sometimes its connected and I cant see it with JRiver and all i have to do is go to the DS address in a webbrowser and click reset upnp server and it pops up in the device list of JRiver