Directstream hangs

I do have an issue with my Direcstream DAC with Bridge II installed.

So now and then the combo hangs.

It is not reacting on remote commands and even the power button on the front does not respond.

After resetting the combo by switching the power button on the rear everything works fine.

Any idea?

Btw I’m very happy with the sound of Torrey’s (a little more body would be nice).

One of my two PWTs, the newest, does that on occasion. I have to shut it down from the back and then it resumes just fine. Happens once or twice a month, the last five months or so. A minor irritation I guess. Wish it wouldn’t happen, but not a great deal that it does.

What is happening when it hangs? What input are you using when it happens?

Dennis

Are you sure that it is not the DS screen that is unresponsive?

It happens very frequently that I need to push icons repeatedly before the DS reacts.

Well in my case it’s the Transport, as I can select and use any other input successfully. So I’m unlike the OP in that sense, perhaps shouldn’t be in the same thread. DirectStream doesn’t seem to hang. PWT does not respond, DS waits for a PT response.

Dennis Kerrisk said What is happening when it hangs? What input are you using when it happens?

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

When the unit hangs it still plays songs by using my iPad.

The touchscreen of the DS is not responding (no more picture and title update).

When it hangs you see the PSaudio logo and the title of a previous song.

It is not possible to put the unit in standby because the power button on the front does not respond.

It happened suddenly after playing a couple of songs and selecting another.

Bridge II is the only input I use.

All latest software.

adimon said
Dennis Kerrisk said What is happening when it hangs? What input are you using when it happens?

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

It is not possible to put the unit in standby because the power button on the front does not respond.

All latest software.

Are there any special characters in the title or artist or album name? That is the only thing that could cause an issue here.

Dennis

Dennis Kerrisk said
adimon said

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

All latest software.

Are there any special characters in the title or artist or album name? That is the only thing that could cause an issue here.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I indeed found one track with special characters that i played yesterday.

Checked it with ID-tag and found:

Artist Paolo Nutini

Title Fashion (Featuring Janelle Mon�e)

Album Caustic Love

Can this lead to hang the DS?

Dennis Kerrisk said
adimon said

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

All latest software.

Dennis

It might if I don’t handle it correctly.

Dennis

Can you drop box it to me so I can see what is going on? Send me your E-mail address to dennis@psaudio.com and I will send you a link to upload it to.

Dennis

I am planning to purchase a DS DAC, is it going to have problems with songs that have Chinese characters? thx.

a25105 said I am planning to purchase a DS DAC, is it going to have problems with songs that have Chinese characters? thx.
It should not.

Dennis

I might check that Chinese character thing on my DS Junior on the weekend if I can remember - travelling at the moment in Thailand. Don’t normally play chinese stuff but do have some in the collection for sure.

The DSjr will not do Chinese characters.

Dennis

Hmmm will it crash and burn or just display rubbish? what about the other odd character sets like Thai or Korean or Japanese or are they all doomed to fail?

It’s ok if DSJ can’t display the characters but will it stop or crash the unit?

a25105 said It's ok if DSJ can't display the characters but will it stop or crash the unit?
No

Dennis

wizardofoz said Hmmm will it crash and burn or just display rubbish? what about the other odd character sets like Thai or Korean or Japanese or are they all doomed to fail?
It should just not display them. If it crashes it is a bug and needs to be fixed.

Dennis