DirectStream Junior Torreys Beta Testing

I put my 4 files into the root directory of the usb stick formatted as FAT32, no folders just the 4 files, turned the DSJr off with the rear switch, waited maybe 10 seconds, turn it on and away it went, with the light on the front blinking for maybe 5 - 10 min. and it loaded just fine. If you have done all this, I would try to download it again, and give it another try. Also, I found that it sounded a little rough on female voices high notes, so I had to go out, so I put it on repeat and muted it, and left it play for about 5 hours. Sounds better now on those high notes.

I also have tried 2 different USB sticks, one 2 GB (formatted as FAT) and the other 16 GB (formatted as FAT32). And no luck.

I have the unzipped files at the root directory too. So, I think I am doing everything correctly.

I wonder if I have to disconnect the Ethernet cable which should probably not make a difference, but worth a try.

Come on Jr. Testers! Senior owners have to wait for you before we get our Bridge update for Roon!!!

We also had to wait for Torrey’s to test…but I hear your pain. I want Roon active ASAP too by the way

Deanhorn said I also have tried 2 different USB sticks, one 2 GB (formatted as FAT) and the other 16 GB (formatted as FAT32). And no luck.

I have the unzipped files at the root directory too. So, I think I am doing everything correctly.

I wonder if I have to disconnect the Ethernet cable which should probably not make a difference, but worth a try.

I sent you a force load to see if that helps. If anyone else has this issue, email me a dennis@psaudio.com. I will be in and out today so I might not respond right away, but I will get back to you.

Dennis

Ted Smith said Double check that the files aren't still in a .zip file - if the USB stick was formatted, the four files copied to the root of the USB stick, the OS used to eject the USB stick then things should work fine.

When I look at the loader.cfg I don’t see it changing the name of the version that will be displayed, so verify that the version number screen shows:

Main: 00.93
FPGA: 00.113
USB: 00.33
Boot: 01.13

(Dang it, I asked that the version screen stay around long enough to read it…) :slight_smile:

If those are the versions shown you have Torreys in your Jr no matter what version name is displayed.

Ted I doubled the time the version screen is displayed, you said before that was good enough.

Dennis

Deanhorn said I also have tried 2 different USB sticks, one 2 GB (formatted as FAT) and the other 16 GB (formatted as FAT32). And no luck.

When you all files on your USB device, use the Operating system Eject function to make sure the USB device is closed properly.

Dennis

Thanks very much Dennis.

I used the forced download and also used the operating system eject for the USB drive once I copied all of the files to it.

I took me a while to find how to eject it properly. To help others, I thought it was somewhere in the properties options, but I cannot find it now. Maybe, someone could post instructions for ejecting the USB drive.

I am now going to test!

Here are a few utube videos on how to eject a drive.

http://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=ejecting%20the%20USB%20drive.&s_it=searchtabs&v_t=TB20

i think we are wasting time here. I tried all that, to not avail. The result was the same. There is a problem with DSJ and no matter what you do, the result will be the same. Thinking that if you eject the usb (or not) will make a difference is naive and not helpful. We need some resolution here…Wishful thinking will not help.

and to be honest how difficult is to copy 4 files onto a usb key, plug it in and power on/off a device. Anyone should be able to do it. And if it doesn’t work, well, something must be seriously wrong here - with the device, or with the people tryin’ to use it. Come on, guys!

Wondering if it is an issue with the specifics of formatting the USB stick. If on a Mac:

• The drive most be formatted as MS-DOS (FAT), with the Scheme set as Master Boot Record
    • Screen shot attached
  • El Capitan may not show the MBR option in the Scheme drop down - if this is the case, the user must execute the following command via Terminal:
    • defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility advanced-image-options 1
ElCapMBR.png

Not sure if the MBR scheme is exposed if formatting via Windows, but worth a check…

Tim said Wondering if it is an issue with the specifics of formatting the USB stick. If on a Mac:
  • The drive most be formatted as MS-DOS (FAT), with the Scheme set as Master Boot Record
    • Screen shot attached
  • El Capitan may not show the MBR option in the Scheme drop down - if this is the case, the user must execute the following command via Terminal:
    • defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility advanced-image-options 1

Not sure if the MBR scheme is exposed if formatting via Windows, but worth a check…

You also must be formatted MS-DOS (FAT). exFAT will not work!!

Dennis

donvel said i think we are wasting time here. I tried all that, to not avail. The result was the same. There is a problem with DSJ and no matter what you do, the result will be the same. Thinking that if you eject the usb (or not) will make a difference is naive and not helpful. We need some resolution here...Wishful thinking will not help.
Not ejecting the USB via the OS can cause the USB stick to be corrupted, but not all of the time. Also the USB stick MUST be formatted MS-DOS (FAT).

Formatting exFAT WILL NOT WORK.

Unfortunately we have the same issues during updates with our SD-Card based products.

Dennis

If you have the can’t update issue. Download this force updater and see if it fixes your issue. http://updates.psaudio.com/dak/93Force.zip

Dennis

donvel said i think we are wasting time here. I tried all that, to not avail. The result was the same. There is a problem with DSJ and no matter what you do, the result will be the same. Thinking that if you eject the usb (or not) will make a difference is naive and not helpful. We need some resolution here...Wishful thinking will not help.
No it's not naïve and it's certainly not wasting time. Its a real problem both for USB sticks and for SD cards. It doesn't always happen, it doesn't happen often, but it does happen and it's very confusing when it does. It belongs in a list of things to do for reliable updates and if you don't do it you will have problems sometime. It's happened to me multiple times and it's happened to others on this list who thought that they had done everything correctly.

Note that I’m not saying it is definitely the problem for you at the moment. Just make sure you always eject your thumb drives with the OS’s eject function or get used to strange behavior now and then.

[Edit: not to belabor the point, but if you are having problems: either run a chkdsk on your USB stick () or format the USB stick as FAT, redownload the update files, put them in the root of your USB stick, use the OS’s eject function, turn off the Jr, put the USB stick in the back and then turn on the Jr. If the blue light in the upper left of the Jr’s front doesn’t start blinking immediately or if it blinks for more than, say, 5 or 10 minutes then do everything again with the force loader (in the previous post). I (and other PS Audio users) have been burned by accidentally skipping steps with both USB sticks and SD cards, but so far USB sticks have been more reliable for updating for me than SD cards. Dennis and I will try to help if these steps don’t work.]

I’m having the same problem with many re: getting it to see the thumb drive. I’m a Mac person since 1986, so I though maybe it was something to do with that. I had already reformatted the Lexar drive FAT32 on the Mac, so I put it in my PC laptop, reformatted it, downloaded the file, extracted, copied the extracted files to the drive, – same result. Boots into Yale as usual. Does not seem to see the USB stick.

Reformatted again on the Mac, re-downloaded, etc. same result.

badbeef said I'm having the same problem with many re: getting it to see the thumb drive. I'm a Mac person since 1986, so I though maybe it was something to do with that. I had already reformatted the Lexar drive FAT32 on the Mac, so I put it in my PC laptop, reformatted it, downloaded the file, extracted, copied the extracted files to the drive, -- same result. Boots into Yale as usual. Does not seem to see the USB stick.

Reformatted again on the Mac, re-downloaded, etc. same result.

Did you try the force load zip that is posted in an earlier post? http://updates.psaudio.com/dak/93Force.zip

Dennis

I also note that the files are larger on the Mac, with the exception of the loader:

DSJR0093.hex 859kb

FPG11301.hex 686kb

LOADER.CFG 155 bytes

USBL0021.hex 369kb

Tried it with another drive - same result.