Directstream Mk 2 observations

This one seems like it should be top of the list to me. Not sure if it cannot support, or PS Audio does not have team/will to do it. This solves so many of the others. if you have an app or web control of the settings, you dont need to mess with remote.

3 Likes

Thanks. It’s good to know I’m not the only one with this issue. Hopefully it is being looked at.

Also thanks for the list, it should be helpful for whoever is working on them.

2 Likes

Every one of the DAC’s I worked on in the last several weeks had the input power set to on. All of them should be set to auto. Especially the USB. Give it a try. Go to input power and set the USB (if not using it) to auto and listen. Big improvement.
This is only true with the latest firmware and UI.

6 Likes

Seems like an ever changing shell game of varying combinations of settings and tweaks to eventually arrive at settings and tweaks that will only temporarily be the optimum settings and tweaks

The auto power improves the sound quality by a good amount. On our modded MK2 it is immediately noticeable.

2 Likes

How do PS Audio know with their latest release that the improvements are -10dB and -30dB for audible and ultrasonic? Surely they must measured it before and after. How much work is it to post those details measurements for us to see? Seems like Paul wanted to forget this post :slight_smile:

We will be posting measurements on the other forum.
Assuming PS Audio is too busy or doesn’t want to post them here

1 Like

I think we’re hoping to learn of the “correct” way to measure the MK2 as well from PS Audio. One that would hopefully show MK2 is quieter than MK1 instead of being the other way like all the measurements so far.

2 Likes

Interesting to note that the mkii owner’s manual doesn’t mention auto power. It is listed on David Perry’s firmware menu where it belongs under input.

True. But what @tedsmith did In the this last update is off the charts. Best I’ve ever heard. Thanks Ted!

3 Likes

Thanks for confirming I thought that is how it works. In my case ii2s1 and 2 are in auto.

I am very confused. What is David Perry’s firmware menu???

1 Like

The I2S-1 stays persistently 'ON" with my Mk2, regardless of cable connection to that input (or the selection of that input). But I’m able to toggle I2S-2 and USB between ON and AUTO just fine.

!!!

Do you have both the newest UI and Firmware installed? You should be able to set all of them to auto. They will turn on when you select it as the used input via remote or front panel.

Yes, I do have all latest UI and firmware updates. And I re-booted the Mk2, chose the “optical” input, yet the I2S-1 can not be toggled from “ON.”

try unplugging all inputs then go into the input power options menu to see if it can be toggled to auto. If not I would contact PS Audio. Everyone I did here I could toggle including ours.

2 Likes

System won’t let me upload the pdf. Search the site for DS DAC mK2 menu chart v2c (think that’s the latest version). It’s very helpful navigating the mk2 menu system.

Post 782 - be confused no more

1 Like

Is there work being done on the static noise problem? Could someone please post an update as to what is being done to correct the problem. My MKII has constant static without playing and is much louder at the end of each track. I love the Massive update, but this noise is extremely annoying.

I cannot understand why some have this noise issue. I do not and have never had.

3 Likes

I you want to hear the effects of the USB power off just listen to a track while toggling the USB from on to auto and back. You will hear it working as the audio will briefly mute during the change.