Directstream Mk 2 observations

3/2 the size :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok I stand corrected… :grinning:

Hi Ted. In the case where we have the choice of sending native DSD or DoP to the MkII, should we choose DoP to eliminate the DSD → DoP conversion that the MkII performs?
In other words, is there a potential sonic penalty introduced by the MkII’s DSD → DoP conversion?

Many thanks!
Mark

1 Like

No, the conversion is lossless and saving work isn’t a often possible in an FPGA, in this case both the DSD receiver and the PCM receiver run in parallel and the answer from one or the other is selected.

I just find a little joy in ribbing people who want to avoid a conversion of formats and therefor recomend sending Native DSD.

5 Likes

Using any usb over 6 feet creates noticeable issues with audio quality. After 15 feet it’s very difficult to maintain audio quality without using a signal booster. Also the type and kind of USB can make a difference.

I was thinking it might be better to move the DAC closer to the computer and run long XLR’s out of the DAC to the Pre. But 50’ is a long way to go no matter the signal.

Is it possible to put the computer close to the DAC and then control the computer remotely from a tablet or a laptop?

This is a challenging setup.

randalljkrebs, what do you mean “difficult to maintain audio quality”? What does the poor SQ sound like? As I indicated above, the USB cable I am using does have a “built in signal booster chip in the middle of the cable”. Not the best quality but it seems to work. But then again, maybe I just have poor SQ with both the ethernet and USB connections and don’t know it.

dvkennedy61, moving the computer or DAC is not really possible. I did find these items today which would seem to allow me to utilize the ethernet network and just convert it to USB just before going in to the MK2. Does that sound reasonable?

I think at this point you are going to have to start with one of the devices that have two boxes one at the PC end and one at the DAC end. What you posted above looks like a device to use ethernet over a USB port on a laptop. For instance if a laptop didn’t have an RJ45 and you wanted to hardwire it to your network.

Do you have an outlet in between the computer and DAC that you can plug in a powered USB hub and then use two shorter USB cables?

Can you describe your setup so recommendations can be tailored better? Home setup: where does internet come in, where is the PC, where do you listen to music, how these locations relate spatially, what sort of construction to the home, can other cables be laid down instead of the USB easily, or maybe pull another cable thru with USB cable? Network setup: what sort of internet service, wifi vs ethernet, any switch gear in use, etc? Music setup: streaming service vs. have own library stored where, in what format and resolution, what do you use for playback (Roon etc running on what)?

Note: trying to send even just DSD64 more than 5m / 15ft over USB will crap out. But maybe you only push MP3 through the cable and it will be fine for you… In the end, testing and adaptation for the actual use case are usually needed.

Note: I can imagine a use case for the laptop USB hub… Some sort of media server is running on the PC far far away in a concrete house, and you have an old Microsoft Surface that has only one USB port and no Ethernet jack. Then the hub would allow you to use Ethernet in to the Surface and USB out to the DAC. But that probably won’t be one of the recommended setups in the end! And there will be more than one recommendation from which to choose.

Hi Ted, I have been using DoP instead of NativeDSD, based on both your comments and since I had occasional problems with Native 256. It should not really matter for me, but it sounds like DoP takes up more network bandwidth (1.5x). I am curious about the parallel processing though in the FPGA. Would using DoP instead of Native DSD mean that mixed playlists of DSD and PCM… which I only do as part of testing here actually, and not normally… should flow through the MK2 with less risk of those pesky slight shunting pop sounds between tracks?

Since money does not seem to be a big object to many here, why not a USB to fiber media converter on long runs?

Does that exist?

1 Like

Nope. Networking refers to over the air updates via the network. To stream you’ll need an external streamer or wait un til the AirLens or Bridge Box comes out to exteernally connect a Bridge.

That depends on your source to probably a greater degree than the Mk II. Some do an excellent job going from PCM to Native, but perhaps not as good going to DoP. And others vice versa. It’s certainly worth trying.

2 Likes

I discovered the error of my ways. I stopped at “System” when I looked for the networking sub-menu. The manual works when read correctly. Operator error! Once again.

It does. About $500 a pop CDN

https://www.startech.com/en-ca/networking-io/us1ga30sxsc

1 Like

I am pretty sure those will not work for your needs as they are network adaptors not usb extenders.
You need something like this Monoprice USB Extender over CAT5E or CAT6 Connection up to 150ft or this Intelix Full-Speed USB Extender - Transmitter and Receiver Kit

1 Like

I agree with @2muchgear. You need adaptors or extenders.