DirectStream Senior Snowmass 3.05

Thanks, Paul

And tanks to those who immediately provided copies of V1! This clan could not be more responsive and helpful.

We aim to please around these here parts…

I was not aware of this. Just having downloaded it 3 days ago. Glad I did!
For all I know 3.05 is just a bug fix.
Maybe it is just me.

Each iteration of firmware for the DS Senior was a nice incremental upgrade.
Ultimately rendering the DAC to be one of twice it’s price(IMO).
3.05 was a leap and a bound.
Now easily surpassing my Chord Dave and about only 15% behind my MSB Select.
I would say it is now solidly a $25,000(perceived value) DAC.

Thank you MR Smith! You are a Genius.

Indeed, it is just a bug fix! However it incorporates 4 prior updates which I had not experienced. I do not know if these were simply bug fixes as well? Nonetheless I felt the “upgrade” from Snowmass(V1) was enormous. Again, maybe just me and of course YMMV. I apologize to staff for starting a new topic. I was not aware of this thread either.

1 Like

WOW given the MSB Select starts at $84.5K thats impressive. Well I have always heard that you have to pay $10,000+ to get that extra 10% improvement.

Reply deleted. (I reread the post and answered my own question) . . . . NEVERMIND:woozy_face:

The consensus on the forum seemed to be that Snowmass V1 was better SQ wise than V2. However, this seems to be the first post concerning the SQ of 3.05.

While the only changes in 3.05 were apparently to fix bridge 1 issues, we also know that Ted has said that even changing the version number can effect SQ…

Are there any other opinions on V1 vs. 3.05?

I personally thought it was leaps and bounds. Couldn’t be placebo because I figured it was just bug fix.

As far as comparing gear. Fruitless really(in regard to providing accurate information to others) . Every DAC has a different sound signature. If a person thinks something is better/worse then that is highly subjective. 10 people may think one way and another 10 another way. It can indeed be as good/better/close to according to that individual. I make no representation when I say it is getting “close” to a $126K+ DAC. That is solely my opinion and others may vary greatly. It is all up to you. Get what sounds best to you(not a friend ETC.) and what you can afford of course. For that matter I do not doubt someone, somewhere makes an argument that DS is better than TSS. Of course MR Smith does not think so but someone else just might. It is all highly subjective past a mere 5 grand. Obviously any of these are better than a $50 USB stick DAC.

After 5 grand I say it becomes more a matter of personal taste. The sound that the Engineer preferred and maybe many others as well is not necessarily the sound you or I prefer. TBH, I am biased to begin with. I look at the MSB and say continuously why is this so much money? In that regard I might cozy up to the TSS much better. Given the DS’ sound I seem to concur with MR. Smith. So I am highly likely to be predisposed to liking it better. That is real, but we all hear different. There is no right or wrong past 5 grand really. It is each individuals choice.

Since pictures of high end amps were posted here. I will add that speakers are even much more individual dependent. Someone may think a 20 grand pair walks on a 10 grand pair or vice versa. You all know this I am sure. For instance in the regular Sonus Faber line I prefer 3 generations ago of the flagship bookshelf. This is all highly dependent on you and myself likewise. I bring all this up in case someone automatically discredits me as “nuts” for my statements. Specifically a 6 grand DAC getting near the territory of a Six figure one.

It is me personally I am sure and there is nothing wrong with that as I see it. Furthermore The DS is now very well seasoned. MR. Smith has wrung a heck of a lot out of it merely with firmware updates. Although in case of an FPGA, Firmware “is” most of the DAC. Sure better Xformers ETC. change the sound. In a DAC I maintain the “curve” is 80+% of the whole thing. MR. Smith feel welcome to disagree/agree!

I just felt at this juncture, due to things I have recently stated here that this disclaimer was in order. Of course I am sure most of you already know all this. It is all subjective to a point. A big point at that. I would urge anyone buying such gear to be able to listen first. Or it may very well be on Audiogon in a Month!

For the record, I went directly from V1 to 3.05. So there very well may be other code I missed. I do find it interesting that most preferred V1. Again, this goes to subjectivity. When it rebooted I expected nothing different but this time I feel the difference was huge. Previously updates had been “incremental” as one would expect. However it has already seen it’s share of updates so there must be a cumulative effect as well. Altogether it has grown into a very fine piece of hardware IMO. NO, it does not sound as good to me as the Select with all upgrades but I do feel at this rate it is quickly gaining on it.

If he does this (to me) a few more times he may be on par with a Six figure DAC. Now watch, he stops updating it because of my big mouth LOL. I do hope he continues support of it even after TSS drops. That would be very nice indeed. As it stands it is very mature already and the more he can wring out of it the better(for all that own it). I honestly would have thought that it would have hit a brick wall long ago. Obviously not since he keeps releasing updates. Opinion on 3.05 may not matter so much in my case because it includes other code I missed. If the consensus is that V1 is better it just goes to show how personal this really is. I do not have a golden ear, nor am I deaf. This is very interesting but apparently it is just me? I would like to hear from others too. I doubt I am “nuts” it is all just so highly dependent on individuality. I just do not think audio gear is if 5 people say you are a horse, get a saddle. It simply does not work that way.

I know there were some who commented on the forum with regard to V1 vs. V2 sound quality. However, I don’t believe anyone can conclude “most”, “majority” or “consensus” based on the few comments made. My guess is those that perceived no difference far outweigh the few that actually commented. But, there really is no way to truly know.

3 Likes

I just did a quick compare with 3.05. I still prefer 3.0.0. Wider, more 3D, same solid central focus. No bridge, display off.

1 Like

But this poll, though:

Ha! I should have known there was a poll created for this. Well, of the 39 votes casted, V1 was voted best. I stand corrected. :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Okay, either I am a fool or as I said we all hear different. I just a/b’d not blind. To me 3.05 is hands down better. The resolve of this thing is getting up there either way.

I’ve tried versions 3.00, 3.04, and 3.05 multiple times at this point. For the record my DS DAC has the original Bridge and I leave the screen display on and at max illumination. Each and every time when I go back to 3.00 I am the most satisfied with the sound quality. The other two versions just don’t sound quite as “right” to me. 3.00 is simultaneously a little more detailed and harmonically richer to me given the usual caveats: my system, my room, my preferences, etc.

1 Like

No you just trust your own ears. Everyone likes different things.

1 Like

I am kind of amazed to find nonpartial Audiophiles! I guess PSA does that to you. It makes you smarter LOL. Certainly a smarter shopper!

Like I said regardless of how that sounds every time I walk by it I say to myself “Why is that $126K+”. Or rather why did I spend that. That is one more Ferrari in the garage almost!

I bet we could argue cables HAHA. Not AC12 though. Anything that large simply lets the juice flow! Another bargain. PSA is the best value/performance I have ever heard.

Hats off to MR. McGowan and MR. Smith!

Perhaps half of the least expensive Ferrari base cost, without any options.

Yeah but still honestly get more enjoyment from a car. Obviously I am a hard core audiophile and have the means. I still enjoy my cars more. I hardly even use them though. I use MSB about 4x a week for 4+ hours. My 812 Superfast is more money but I got a 2018 in 2017 and it only has 4,600 miles on it. The trick is not to drive much and I can sell them not much loss if not gain. The MSB is only like $40,000 on trade in. I will just keep using it. I am not buying another DAC like that again. However I will buy TSS to replace the DS. Since I bet at most it is 50 grand. Probably less than 30. Like I said you cannot really compare them. Since better is better to each person. They all sound too different. There is no doubt I can tell if a DAC was swapped out though. Cables sure you should get good ones but I cannot hear them like the DAC. I hear the DAC more than the amp. Speakers make biggest difference to me though. I think that must be everyone. I just think the car is a better value since mine already appreciated! However, talk about value and you are speaking PSA’s language. The MSB perhaps very nice to me but no “value” there. I cannot wait for TSS. The DS is fine in this system too honestly.

We all have our preferences.

When I bought my Z06/Z07 a friend commented he would much rather have the money in an audio system- which makes perfect sense as he does not drive. :slight_smile:

LOL, that is funny. I have a ZR1. I had the Z06 the year they did not make the ZR1. 2015? Best bang for buck too. The Ferrari is what it is but a Z06 with some Mods might get it good. Today corvette is a real super car. Before the Z06 it wasn’t so much like C7. The “old” ZR1 had but 400BHP. That was a lot then but just a few years later so did Mustang for only 40 Grand. Today 400BHP is like nothing. Crazy. Not to derail thread though. Plus entire audio system price of Z06 is much more sane than my two systems. Still, I do drive and prefer the car if I had to choose. I wish I had won the 1000BHP Camaro lottery! Okay, hopefully back on topic.

I could use a little verification (please). I have, thus far, updated Snowmass two times (the original version, and then one upgrade). In another post on this site I read that there are now multiple versions of Snowmass (3.01, 3.02, 3.03, 3.04, and 3.05) . . . . I guess that makes my version 3.02. Do the other upgrades apply to Bridge2 (DSsr) users? I’ve read that upgrades may not be necessary depending on setup.