DMP display problem

Tonight when I turned on my DMP, the display was completely “white” without any information appearing on the screen. I rebooted the DMP by unplugging it as well as turning off the back switch. I had to do this a several times before finally getting the display to function again. However, now there is a vertical “wave” of brightness motion, traversing the display from the top to bottom of the screen in a wave-like manner. I subsequently rebooted the DMP several times again and also unplugged the PS Audio HDMI cable from the DMP, but the “wave of brightness” persisted. I then did a “display recalibration.” by touching the 4 corners of the display as outlined by PS Audio instructions on their website. Unfortunately this did not help either. My DMP plays without a problem, but the wave of brightness is quite distracting and does not go away.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, what was the solution?

I and several others have had an issue with the display on the DS, but it has been in the form of a slowly scanning line. The problem was fixed by replacing the display and the driver board. While your problem is different, and the first one for the DMP display, I would suspect it’s a displayand/or driver board fault. Hopefully Paul will confirm.

As pmotz mentions, in the past we had a display vendor that ‘lost the recipe’ and had the problem he describes. The problem went away when we changed display vendors.

nordicbob, can I ask you to do one additional experiment for me? On the setup menu, would you describe the behavior of the ‘wave of brightness’ if you change the brightness setting – Bright – medium - dim.

Please PM me at davep@psaudio.com. It’s likely something went out on your display, and we’ll have to get the unit in for repair.

Thanks,

Dave

davep@psausio.com,

PM sent.

Thanks,

Bob

I have a DS Dac that’s about a year old with a similar issue. The coursing wave of brightness is only evident in the display’s low and medium brightness settings.

Hi nordicbob,

I’ve reached out to you about this issue via your email address we have on file for you here.

Please let me know if you do not receive it.

Kind wishes,

• Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. It’s on its way to you now.

Bob

Rob said

I have a DS Dac that’s about a year old with a similar issue. The coursing wave of brightness is only evident in the display’s low and medium brightness settings.

Mine is the same way. Ok on bright, but the rippling occurs on medium and low. If it bothers you, you might consider contacting PS Audio about it while it’s still under warranty.

My DMP’s display has now been repaired by PS Audio and working great now. I got it back on March 21st. Great service by PS Audio as usual.

1 Like
nordicbob said

…My DMP plays without a problem, but the wave of brightness is quite distracting and does not go away.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, what was the solution?

I have the same problem. It’s been like this since day 1. Makes me wonder what happens between the final inspection at the factory and being plugged in by the customer for the first time.

I’ve now seen an issue where the DMP becomes completely unresponsive but continues to play. The display indicates DMP in a loaded state with album and track name, but not playing. The display is unresponsive. The unit does not respond to the remote control, and will not go into standby mode with the front power button. But it continues to play.

I have witnessed the same thing on occasion myself. Not sure what the cause might be but the programming team is looking into it. We’re getting closer to launching new firmware that should address most all these issues. Hang in there and thanks for the report.

As have I on all formats - CDs, SACDs, DVDA, and BD. The disc that really makes the DMP grumpy is Max Richter’s “Sleep” - an audio BD with 31 stereo-only 24/96 tracks that runs over eight hours. Everything about it the DMP hates, but it does play it. It won’t display track numbers past ten, won’t let you navigate past track 4, and after about two hours of play the display completely freezes and the remote will no longer work. But it keeps playing! I think if the DMP could display an upraised middle digit it would whenever I load that disc.

1 Like

We’re getting closer to launching new firmware that should address most all these issues. Hang in there and thanks for the report. That was April 19.

When is the new Directstream Memory Player firmware planned ???

Kind regards

Ronald Wijker

Netherlands

Peanut Butter said

…The disc that really makes the DMP grumpy is Max Richter’s “Sleep” - an audio BD with 31 stereo-only 24/96 tracks… I think if the DMP could display an upraised middle digit it would whenever I load that disc.

LOL!
Peanut Butter said

As have I on all formats - CDs, SACDs, DVDA, and BD. The disc that really makes the DMP grumpy is Max Richter’s “Sleep” - an audio BD with 31 stereo-only 24/96 tracks that runs over eight hours. Everything about it the DMP hates, but it does play it. It won’t display track numbers past ten, won’t let you navigate past track 4, and after about two hours of play the display completely freezes and the remote will no longer work. But it keeps playing! I think if the DMP could display an upraised middle digit it would whenever I load that disc.

I have the exact same problem with that Richter disc. Hoping for a fix coming soon, but as it isn't a CD or SACD it may not be addressed.
pmotz said

I and several others have had an issue with the display on the DS, but it has been in the form of a slowly scanning line. The problem was fixed by replacing the display and the driver board. While your problem is different, and the first one for the DMP display, I would suspect it’s a displayand/or driver board fault. Hopefully Paul will confirm.

I just picked up a brand new DMP at the PS Audio factory earlier today.

With the brightness set to anything other than High, I see a horizontal wave of brightness scroll top to bottom about once a second.

I guess it goes back tomorrow, glad I still have the box and bags handy. :frowning:

Quickly fixed by the fine folks at PS Audio. Thanks James!

Rob said

The ‘coursing wave of brightness’ is only evident in the display’s low and medium brightness settings.

I just purchased a brand new DMP… and right out of the box, I have the same exact problem. I talked to Jeremy about this problem yesterday and he stated that PS Audio is… and has been aware… of this problem and that the up coming firmware update will fix the issue. I hope so…this is not something that I care to live with in a state of the art transport coming straight out of the box. on my

Paul,I’m curious… Why would PS Audio let malfunctioning displays leave the factory… if there is a known issue with said units? cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon_gif