Issue with display screen, or normal?

~

Recently, I’ve begun to notice something about the DS display screen.

If you approach the DS, you can see a horizontal line that scans from bottom-to-top. It’s vague, constant, and persistent. I don’t see it from the listening position, but when I do notice it up close, it’s worrisome.

Normal? Problem? Indicative of something to come?

Rob

I had a similar issue with my DS right out of the box. It was more of a bar than a line and it scanned rapidly. I sent it back and they replaced the display and the driver board.

I’ve seen the same on a dealers original DS. Mine, an upgraded PWD, doesn’t show that (mis)behavior. I’m sure that’s an issue with either the display or the board. I think your DS wants to visit his birth place again…

Contact spray on the connector could solve the problem

Well, let’s see…

If I don’t like it, I can a) send it back and do without the DS for however long, or b) de-rack it, open it up, and spray the connector to see if it might solve the problem.

At this point, I’d opt for neither. It’s not terribly noticeable or intrusive… today. I’ll see if it gets worse over time before resorting to a return.

I’m somewhat comforted to know that others have seen this issue.

This is known to be a flaw on the display card.

Thanks.

Do you think it’s something that will progress (get worse), or is what I’m seeing how it will stay? I’m okay with what it’s doing now – not enough to send it back – but if it deteriorates over time, that’s another story.

Geez… maybe I’ll just close my eyes and listen to the great sound.

I doubt it will get much worse if you use the display off feature. Anytime you do anything with the remote the display will come on for a little and then go back off.

Similarly if there is a gradual deterioration using a dimmer display setting should slow it down somewhat.

Thanks, Ted. Somehow, it’s comforting to know that if I don’t use the screen, it won’t get worse. (Sheesh…)

I’d do anything to keep it from traveling back home to Boulder.

Usually, I keep the screen at the dimmest setting, and lately have been keeping it off altogether, so I guess I’m doing as best I can with it.

I am having a slightly different problem with my display. It has the rolling bars constantly like an old TV set, as you can see in the video, and it’s visible from everywhere, not just up close. The only way to not have the bars is to have it on the brightest setting, otherwise known as blinding, or off altogether. This can’t be right, not with a $5k plus piece of equipment.

Palerider, that is the same problem I had. As I said above, if you want it fixed you need to send it back to PS Audio. They replaced the screen and driver board on mine. It sucks, but you have to accept it…

pmotz said Palerider, that is the same problem I had. As I said above, if you want it fixed you need to send it back to PS Audio. They replaced the screen and driver board on mine. It sucks, but you have to accept it....
Yeah, I figured. For me, only inconvenient in the sense of boxing her up. Now is not a bad time "system-wise." My new Legacy Aeris speakers arrive Wednesday for the new listening room, and while I had planned to play the DS on them, I can use the Lumin for now.

I had the same display issue with mine and it was repaired and sent back the day after it was received. Sending from Massachusetts to Boulder was not high on my list of fun things to do, but I’m glad I did. Mine was 60 days old when the display starting showing the lines. Hopefully, the fix is solid and about 40 days later, so far so good. My advice…send it back and don’t forget to insure it properly…you never know! Best.

I discovered a weird issue today.

I powered down the DS with the rear switch and discovered the display kept flashing in white, rapidly.

Removing the DS power cord did not remedy it. I found that when pulling the I2s connector the problem vanished.

What is strange is that all units are powered by the P10 (same source).

The displays on both my PWT and the DS are very sensitive to static electricity. If I wipe the dust from the top of the PWT, the screen will flash red, blue, and green until I shut the unit down. Is it possible your I2S cable was conducting a static discharge into the DS, Frode?

I believe it is a ground problem because when I remove the HDMI cable the flickering stops, but it proceeds when re-connected.

Frode said I believe it is a ground problem because when I remove the HDMI cable the flickering stops, but it proceeds when re-connected.
That is interesting. Thanks for the observation, hopefully it will lead us to a solution

Dennis

@Dennis;

I have sent you an mp4 (mobile) video of the problem.

Frode said @Dennis;

I have sent you an mp4 (mobile) video of the problem.

Is this a problem with the latest beta code?

Dennis

No.

I reckon there is a lot to keep track off at the time being.

It relates to the topic of this thread (check post #17).

The video clip is sent to your email.