Do you clean your new records?

Ok what is the verdict with a dirty record that went through the cleaning cycle?
Humminguru website will start taking orders in 3 days. Is it worth ordering? A simple yes or no will do.

Mine is supposed to arrive on Thursday. It’s coming via FedEx, routing through the Philippines and Anchorage, AK. It won’t be stacking up outside the Port of Los Angeles. However, the other discussion thread on FedEx horror stories does make me slightly nervous. I hope for the best.

RJ

Most of the records I had available to clean were new and they cleaned up satisfactorily. I had a couple of used LPs show up over the weekend via Discogs and one had a lot of stuff on it. Both LPs also cleaned up well.

If I have any concerns about the HumminGuru it is from how light the machine is overall. This is not a heavy duty unit. Will this RCM last long term? Especially with a lot of use; I’m skeptical. If the unit has a problem, you have to send it back to Hong Kong at your expense for repairs. No tear down videos online yet, so we are not sure if it has DIY repair or upgrade possibilities.

Verdict…

Yes, if you have a small collection or will only be using it for an occasional new and lightly used LP. Beats doing a small quantity by hand anyway.

No, if you need to clean a large collection of 100s LPs and often buy grungy used records. You probably would be better off with a VPI RCM or if you have the budget for a Degritter is probably the best way to go.

I have had a VPI RCM for 15+ years and it has served me well. Nearly zero upkeep in all of these years. Only have bought new cleaning brushes and clean solution. Easy to use, but labor intensive.

The HumminGuru is simple and easy to use. Will it be in service 15 years from now… only time will tell.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind response. I don’t have a large collection of vinyls and I don’t plan on abusing the RCM so we’re good.

1 Like

I’m definitely going to be purchasing one as well next year.

1 Like

I have a Kirmuss and it’s a bit of a pain to clean records. Sorry, restore……according to Kirmuss. I just had a HumminGuru arrive via my wife’s office. I’ll try it out tomorrow.

4 Likes

Looking forward to learning of your experience with the HumminGuru. I am a bit on the fence as my primary concern is build quality and how long it will last.

1 Like

When I set it up I’ll critically look at the construction and I’ll post my opinions. I bought it for more quickly “tuning up” records. I’ve bought new records that were filthy with residue and this was primarily for those.

3 Likes

My thoughts for using a HumminGuru parallel yours, I have other means to do the heavy lifting. The HumminGuru would address pre-play clean-ups/touch-ups. The Degritter is an alternative, but at a premium price.

I still have a VPI (which is still for sale) that I sometimes use for garage sale records, before they go into the Degritter.

2 Likes

GLWS
LPs that enter the house get an ultrasonic cleaning, distilled water rinse and VPI 16.5 drying. Then Rice Paper sleeves and a mylar outer jacket. A Degritter or HumminGuru would be nice to touch them up just before playing. It’s a wonder I find time to actually listen to them.

2 Likes

Ran across a review of the Humminguru

2 Likes

Maybe somebody can help me getting rid of my prejudice on this subject.

Every liquid that dries up leaves behind residue. Also liquids may effect the vinyl. So, over time it will make the surface of the vinyl more rough. Which means that the liquid cleaned vinyl is prone to more dust collection after time and that you have no other choice than recleaning with liquid on a very regular basis.

I have had friends in the 1980‘s who ruined their collection as the liquid cleaned records were prone to attract more dust and dirt after a while than records that were cleaned with just a carbon brush.

Nobody ever cleaned their records with liquids anymore. And now I see new washers appearing and think, here we go again.

I am in the dry cleaning camp and consider to upgrade my carbon fiber brush to this:
Ramar Berlin

I can’t see a plus side to trying to convince you otherwise.
I do know better though. Your all liquid is bad thought is easily disproved.
But carry on!

1 Like

Al, you might be the right person to talk to. As you seem to wash your records,

I do not want to convince you otherwise either. I have never washed any records but am curious with new technology. The above just explained why I do have a prejudice.

Do you wash your records repeatedly? If yes, what typically determines the interval?

Do you clean your new records?.. Short answer… Most definitely YES.

Okay, I wash each record I purchase at least once before I play it. I usually do not wash them again unless I do something I should not have done and must wash it again. I use the AudioDesk Glass Pro cleaner. It gets filled with the cleanest and purest water I can find. Then I add the approximately one oz of whatever comes in their expensive little bottles. My records come out clean and dry and I see and hear no evidence that anything troublesome has been left in the grooves.

On occasion I get a album that has extra levels of junk in the grooves. Oddly enough this happens more with new records than it does with used records. If after one ultrasonic cleaning there is still junk I go at it with other chemical concoctions. Then I rinse that stuff off and run it through the machine multiple times, sometimes skipping the drying cycle.
I cannot think of a single instance where I regretted doing any of this.

There are thousands of people cleaning records with fluids. They can’t all be wrong. And using reverse osmosis water in an ultrasonic cleaner it is unlikely to leave compromising residue. In my experience it does not. Plus, when the record comes out of the bath it is as st@tic free as it is ever going to be.

Then again, the price they ask for these machines is absurd. So easy to reject. But I am so impressed with mine and the results I get with it that I am thinking of buying two more. I’d like to try the Degritter and I’d also like to try that mad scientist guys machine. The Kirmuss.

I truly believe in these things and I have yet to meet a single person who has regretted purchasing one. They are mankind’s greatest achievement.

3 Likes

Thanks Al, appreciate the feedback, it encourages me to look into this subject further.

Clearaudio also makes beautiful cleaning machines, as expensive as the turntable I look for (favorite is the Thorens TD1601).

Todd Garfinkle sent me the Nublado 45 rpm record in the Japanese rice paper sleeve he sells. I read above that somebody else also likes the MA recordings alternatives for the above mentioned Rice paper sleeves.

Those I can recommend to you they are very gentle to the vinyl.
MA Recordings Innersleeves
You need to pay for shipment and tariffs but I think it is worthwhile.

Good vinyl playback is so pleasing, that why I am interested in all this.

Correction made:
The MA Recordings inner sleeves are not Rice paper sleeves bu alternatives to those. I still recommend them.

2 Likes

Lately I have not been adding surfactant to the distilled water in my Degritter. Their recommendation is that surfactant is not necessary, but optional. I have not noticed any difference.
Since dust and whatever is floating around settles on the record when it’s playing, I do a quick wash before slipping it back into it’s sleeve. Maybe excessive, but I’m retired.

2 Likes