Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Experiences

Hey All,
Thought I would start a new thread to discuss experiences with ultrasonic record cleaning. I just ordered a Cleaner-Vinyl Easy3 along with US tank and distilled water surfactant. I plan to report back after initial testing / cleaning this weekend with any luck based on arrival of the Easy3 stuff.

What prompted this is some recent listening to both new and older vinyl and observing some rather disturbing inner groove distortion, skips, etc. I tried using my very primitive home grown record cleaner and feel I may have caused some damage or jammed some crud into the grooves. This is an area of my vinyl setup that was way overdue for upgrading so here we go.

From all I’ve read this is the preferred method of getting your vinyl ultra clean (sorry couldn’t resist). If others have first-hand experience I’m sure the forum would love to hear from you.

Best,
Kurt

I’m also interested but don’t have own experience unfortunately. I spoke to a few experts however and got different feedback. On the one hand ultrasonic cleaning can help where normal cleaning machines can’t, on the other hand, I heard that it’s most important to use microfiber for mechanical cleaning and that cleaning without mechanical implication isn’t comparable to what you can accomplish with it. The conclusion was to have both (two machines).

I definitely think groove distortion is not caused by a record cleaner, it’s just a question of how the record was cut and how critical the music is for distortion, of the record condition and of the cartridge’s ability and adjustment. The two latter (if optimal) usually make groove distortion an absolute exception.

I started out cleaning by hand using discdoctor miracle cleaner and his method. I switched to a cheap 40 kHz ultrasonic tank with distillEd water and surfactant and a cleanervinyl system. Not noticeably better, but much more efficient. From there, it was over the edge. I got a 135khz tank. Now I first apply the discdoctor miracle cleaner with his brushes (acoustic sounds has his stuff now), straight into 40 kHz for about 5 minutes, and then distilled water bath in 135 kHz for 10 minutes followed by an air dry. The results are so much better than what I had done before, I am redoing all my records.

Oh, the 135 kHz is made by Vibrato LLC. It is fantastic.

1 Like