Dream($ no limit) speakers BUT must fit/live with them in your current house

That’s an easy one for me:
The MBL 126.

6 Likes

I hadn’t heard of MBL before. This one looks interesting too.

4 Likes

My cost no object “dream” speaker

Focal Utopia Evo

6 Likes

LOL, you have expensive taste.

I’ve only heard MBL loudspeakers at audio shows and to my ear, they have the most convincing presentation of any speakers I’ve ever heard.

1 Like

I have a friend who has both the MBL 120 and 101E MKII. They seem nice.

2 Likes

The 101’s look like Nikola Tesla dreamed them up.

1 Like

Yeah, the MBL 101E MKII are very interesting lookin:

5 Likes

I didn’t think about vandersteens, very good choice.

Vandersteen Model 7 or Verity Lohengrin

1 Like

@dawkinsj

Are those lohengrins active or passive?

I can’t believe they are 95db efficiency passive with that large of a woofer. Thats nuts!

They are passive and in the “real world” are probably a few db less than claimed. I’ve owned the Otello for about three years now and they will play to reasonably loud (90 db+) with a 30 wpc Music Reference RM-10 tube amp and they are claimed to be 93 db. Obviously more dynamics with the BHK 250 or one of the other amps rotated through.

The voicing of their line is consistent from the bottom to the top. What you pickup as you go upwards is bass extension and scale due to the larger cabinets and drivers. As with other lines you also gain price. This recent review of the Otello will give you some idea about their sound.

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/verity-audio-otello-floorstanding-loudspeakers/#:~:text=Verity%20Audio’s%20Otello%20is%20a,to%20music%20with%20these%20floorstanders.

1 Like

The forthcoming PS Audio speakers, of course!

1 Like

The Model 7s will stand with the very best, but Vandersteen tends to fly under the radar a bit. Few in the industry have Richard’s extensive experience and deep knowledge. And it shows in his work…

1 Like

Agree, I’ve owned 2CE Sigs, 3A Sigs and Treo CT’s in the past. Have been watching the new model lately.

I’ll throw some Vandersteen fandom around as well. Bought 3A Sigs in the mid-2000’s and, at almost 15 years later, I can still throw upgrades around them and they get better. I have them paired with the subs. An absolute bargain.

So… I’ll put my vote down for the System Nine.

1 Like

For a second there, I thought you meant that you made a sh*t-ton of money in 2020!

I always miss my Vandersteen 2C’s. Talk about value for money!

1 Like

I am not even sure how I have done this year. I just know that we can’t last much longer the way we are going so I want to have great gear here in these end times.

6 Likes

If by ‘fit in my current house’ I am allowed to reinforce the floor:

Magico M9-

If I am not able to reinforce the floor:

Rockport Lyra

When you worship at an alter, you never see the lightning coming. :relaxed:

They are gorgeous speakers.

I never considered factory smells, I am all for them if they improve sound quality.

1 Like