DS remote control

I’m debating whether to trade in my PWD MkII or get a kit and do it myself. My PWD is an upgraded MkI, and I’ve read that some people with early PWDs have had issues with parts fitting correctly. Based on the posts here, people have been able to solve these problems. So I’ll put that aside, I guess.

The only functional difference between a new box vs the upgrade is, IIUC, the IR receiver. This is actually important to me because I have never been able to use my PWD remote due to the room arrangement–the rack is to the left of my chair and the angle is fairly sharp. (If I go close to the PWD and aim the remote right at it, then it works, so the hardware is not defective.) I use the eLyric control point partly because I like the layout and partly because I can control the PWD functions from it, so the lack of an IR remote doesn’t matter.

With the DS, I won’t be able to use eLyric to control the DAC, I assume. So I will need the remote. The new box is $1000 (after trade-in) more than the kit, so my first question is how much better is the IR receiver? Does it accept a signal over a significantly wider range of angles? I realize nobody can say for sure if the improved receiver will solve my problem, but I’d appreciate any info that there is. There is no other place in the room to put the rack, unfortunately.

If the DS remote does not work, is there any option for controlling it other than the front panel? Can this be done through a web browser, or with a program like the one that a forum member created to control the PWD?

I suggest an IR repeater.

Elk said I suggest an IR repeater.
I'd second this. Home automation stores (brick or online), Amazon, etc. are full of IR repeater solutions. I have one with little "mice" for each buried IR receiver in my system. I've got the IR receiver at the top right of my screen and I only have to aim my remote(s) there to control anything.

magister said I'm debating whether to trade in my PWD MkII or get a kit and do it myself. My PWD is an upgraded MkI, and I've read that some people with early PWDs have had issues with parts fitting correctly. Based on the posts here, people have been able to solve these problems. So I'll put that aside, I guess.

The only functional difference between a new box vs the upgrade is, IIUC, the IR receiver. This is actually important to me because I have never been able to use my PWD remote due to the room arrangement–the rack is to the left of my chair and the angle is fairly sharp. (If I go close to the PWD and aim the remote right at it, then it works, so the hardware is not defective.) I use the eLyric control point partly because I like the layout and partly because I can control the PWD functions from it, so the lack of an IR remote doesn’t matter.

With the DS, I won’t be able to use eLyric to control the DAC, I assume. So I will need the remote. The new box is $1000 (after trade-in) more than the kit, so my first question is how much better is the IR receiver? Does it accept a signal over a significantly wider range of angles? I realize nobody can say for sure if the improved receiver will solve my problem, but I’d appreciate any info that there is. There is no other place in the room to put the rack, unfortunately.

If the DS remote does not work, is there any option for controlling it other than the front panel? Can this be done through a web browser, or with a program like the one that a forum member created to control the PWD?

The IR remote on the new DS works perhaps twice as good as the older one. I no longer have to point it and it works, if that helps.

@Elk and Ted: Thank you. I did not know there were such things.

@Paul: That’s helpful, thanks. I do think being able to control the DS from a web page would be useful, since many of us have tablets in hand anyway to run control points; being able to put away the remote would reduce clutter.

So, in short, there’s a good chance a new box would let me use the remote, but if not, then I have plan B with an IR repeater. Or I can feel cheap and get the kit plus a repeater. :)

Paul McGowan said

The IR remote on the new DS works perhaps twice as good as the older one. I no longer have to point it and it works, if that helps.

+1!

Absolutely so, as I found out for myself. My P10 was (almost) completely ignorant of my PWD MkII remote, I lived with my P10 for easily a year actually believing the P10’s IR sensor was faulty. Never really bothered me though. I very rarely (never?) try different settings on my P10 once it’s set up at what I believe is the optimal. Then one day, I just happen to “catch” the P10 at a certain angle, and voila - the MkII remote worked.

Now, with the DS remote, it works every time!

[Perhaps, to avoid confusion - your sentence should read: The IR remote supplied with the new DS … :)]

plcomp

I believe the comments were in reference to the IR receiver on the DS and not the actual remote controller.

Nevertheless, if the P10 communication is now improved, then that is a good thing no matter what caused it.

@plcomp, Thanks for sharing this experience. I recall reading in an earlier thread that the “IR pipe” (or something like that, can’t remember the exact name) built into the DS was better than the one in the PWD. But plcomp’s experience suggests that it’s the new remote. Paul, can you or someone at PSA clarify? If I get an upgrade kit, I don’t think I get a new remote–or do I?

My understanding is the DS has a new IR lens which better collimates the IR signal from the remote and directs it to the receiver.

The new remote is the same but, as a WAG, its fresher batteries may make it work better.

My PWT has always had problems picking up the signal from the remote. Ironically when I finished the DS I had three remotes (Mk.I, Mk.II, DS) and tested them all. One of my older ones still works the best relative to the PWT and DS picking up the signal.

gordon said plcomp

I believe the comments were in reference to the IR receiver on the DS and not the actual remote controller.

Nevertheless, if the P10 communication is now improved, then that is a good thing no matter what caused it.

O.K. thanks Gordon maybe it’s the newer batteries then; may it’s just co-incidence then … I don’t know. I honestly had the impression it was the actual remote, from my experience.