Remote Control DSD DAC

This is my first time posting here so please bear with me. I got my kit in last night and have burning it in 24/7 and I will post my impressions in the near future. I have been following the remote control posting and yea, I agree it is chintzy for a 6K DAC. My favorite remote came with my Sonic Frontiers Line 3 preamp. The remote was shaped like a hockey puck and yes it was metal but not very heavy. It had basic/needed functions nothing more or less. The backside had a rubber ring which allowed me to keep it on the wooden arm of my lazy Boy without it sliding off. It was easy to find if you misplaced it and it worked without fault even off center.

Welcome, Iwin 1949!

I had this remote as well and remember it fondly.

Other nice characteristics included different size and textured buttons to identify them by touch, as well as multiple emitters to make sure the signal got to the preamp.

Yes, the remote that comes with the PS Audio products is ‘inexpensive’, but it does do the job reasonably well. A better remote would be nice but what do you want to pay for it? Maybe Paul could have a deluxe remote designed as an add on for those who want the luxury and are willing to pay for the upgrade.

J.P.

lwin1949 said [...]My favorite remote came with my Sonic Frontiers Line 3 preamp. The remote was shaped like a hockey puck and yes it was metal but not very heavy. It had basic/needed functions nothing more or less. The backside had a rubber ring which allowed me to keep it on the wooden arm of my lazy Boy without it sliding off. It was easy to find if you misplaced it and it worked without fault even off center.
I have one of those, too; it's really sexy. The least ergonomic thing about it is getting the right buttons under one's fingers in the dark, since the circular shape does little to help align it properly in the hand. As Elk implied, you can memorize the feel of the buttons to spin the remote into its proper alignment when there's no light.

This is where a functional Bridge2 will come in handy and the possibility [?] for the DS to respond to wireless app volume and setting controls.

Using a tablet is such a civilized way to enjoy computer audio and, when set up appropriately, equals and possibly bests any other input medium. Certainly the library control itself is an added perk to our hobby and enjoyment.

The tablet is great esp once I discovered JRiver/Gizmo uses the tablet’s physical volume control. I hardly use the PSA remote now.

billg said The tablet is great esp once I discovered JRiver/Gizmo uses the tablet's physical volume control. I hardly use the PSA remote now.
Are you using the JR "system" volume control setting, as opposed to "internal?

I have tried both but when playing DSD/DoP the volume is disabled with both settings, necessitating the use of the PSA remote.

The remote is fine as is. I concur with Gordon, spend money on a tablet which has vastly better value and practicality.

$ard