DS vs DS Mk2?

I can’t wait to read the forums feedback when people attempt to input a complex wifi password into the MKII. I had a long four letter word conversation with it.

4 Likes

Many are hip to it from the PST.

PSAMK2 is complex enough, right?

1 Like

She notices. But she also knows the effort involved. At this point in her life she’s happy with a pair of Sony noise cancelling wireless headphones. Once she gets to the point of settling in I think she’ll want something more substantial. I can see her really digging something like a Naim Uniti Atom and a pair KEF LS50 Meta. Great sound and not fussy.

2 Likes

What were we like at her age? OUCH!

1 Like

I suppose. I have no idea how many were sold. It’s such a niche product. There’s something like 6200 SACD titles, half of which are classical.

One bit of advice to MKII buyers. Do not put the MKII at the bottom of your rack if you wear bifocals. The font is nearly impossible to read from a seated position looking down. The angle is too much to clearly read the display. You’ll need to lay on your side to input the wifi password.

4 Likes

Another bit of advice if it’s difficult to reach behind your gear. Do not install the MKII in a location where you need to do Audiophile gymnastics to install a USB stick for updates. It’s no fun.

3 Likes

@vkennedy61 Audiophilia is not for the aged and infirm? No mater how much money you have?

2 Likes

You better have a serious yoga practice.

I drink for flexibility!

3 Likes

I realize that it’s not clean but you could attach a short USB extension cable.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea. I am sure someone will be concerned that the extension will act like an antenna.

3 Likes

Better yet just get a Sandisk 32 gb Cruiser. Install it with the DAC where you can easily do so. You can leave it there. Eventually we will be able to download the updates via the internet in the Mk 2.

3 Likes

Sorry mate, this was 2 years ago. Direct to ethernet.

I’m still using the original PS perfectwave dac and to be honest, it wasn’t that much better. The upgrade in cables made more of a difference I’m currently using B&W 802, Electrocompaniet Nemos, BHK pre and PS15.

Plan to upgrade everything, maybe magicos M3, Playback designs MPD8, either Block audio monos or Gryphon amps.

1 Like

Can you provide any details in regards to what aspects of the sound are better with the MKII vs the fully modified MKI?

Wow, I am surprised that this was not solved for MKII. I sold my DS two years ago when I upgraded to a Bartok (oh, and to chime into the sound quality discussion, the Bartok is playing in a different universe ,as it shoulder considering the cost) . But I remember all the upgrades. Fantastic work by Ted, and I think with the high frequency of upgrades PS audio is leading. But there was always the anxiety: Is it going to work? Or do I first need to go back to an older version first? With the Bartok I have had two software upgrades so far. Installing is so easy.

1 Like

Built into the MKII is both WiFi and RJ45 Ethernet meant to be used for updates. They both are enabled but currently there’s no method to use them for updates.

2 Likes

I have enjoyed my DirectStream DAC for several months now. It is one that has Swedish transformers installed along with several modifications including a power supply. I love the sound of it in my system. Last week a friend brought over the new version. We all listened very carefully and was thinking wow my older DirectStream DAC sounded as good and maybe better in some ways. The new unit seems to have a hole in the sound in the middle of the speakers which we could clearly tell the sound was coming directly from each speaker instead of the center between the two. Also it seems to be a little bright and forward sounding. When my unit was playing it was hard to tell that the sound was coming from the speakers and sounded like they were performing right in front of us. Not so with his new unit. Has anyone experienced this? Maybe something was wrong with his unit? Anyway I am very happy with my DirectStream DAC. I also have a Denafrips Terminator Plus that I sometimes listen too. The DirectStream sounds better to me. Have a great New Year :tada:

Was the new one burned in, running for a few hours already as the Mk I before playing and did they have identical cabling?

We have to remember, Ted fixed everything that we modded in the Mk I already in a better way in the Mk II as well as several HW topics more and additionally the firmware was upgraded. So really the only thing that could make a positive difference in a Mk I could be the Lundahl‘s.