DS vs DS Mk2?

It is twice the price. Though I’d only purchase a used unit.

1 Like

Vince

If you can try to get a listen to an Aqua La Scala. The Aqua DAC’s are also FPGA based and to me very similar sound to DS. Should be a dealer in your area somewhere.

Now that the Beta is over, I can reveal that I tested a Chord Hugo TT2 with M Scaler side-by-side.

The MKII may have a slightly wider image, the TT2 has better bass and I think maybe more space around instruments. But to be fair, I didn’t do any speaker placement changes when I was testing. If I was going to choose from a pure simplicity perspective, I’d choose the MKII, less cables, less power. If I was thinking about going from the TT2/M Scaler to the MKII, I wouldn’t.

I tried to keep the testing as close as possible. I only used USB into both DACs, I used XLR out from both into a BHK Pre.

2 Likes

Oh wow, now that’s what i’m talking about as I know that dac well, and I thank you. I’ve seen your thoroughness here and I’ve no doubt you were comprehensive and objective

1 Like

I forgot to mention that the TT2/M Scaler seemed more relaxed to me if that makes sense. I listen to the TT2/M Scaler quite a bit in my office, but it’s near-field. It was nice to hear it on our main system.

I used an opticalRendu and a Rendu Signature SE, so I think the transport/endpoints were equally matched.

2 Likes

This and mk2 are what I’m most interested in. Virtually the same price. I’d love a Bartok; I already know that would be my first choice but the price on it has way jacked up last two years, unfortunately. They used to be $12k-ish, now about $16k or higher. Love dCS dacs…someday

I think $16K includes the headphone amp. I haven’t listened to it yet, I probably will tonight. I’ve read that it’s superb, so for folks that have a separate headphone rig, there may be some resale there to help with the cost.

I personally am keeping my headphone rig, it’s on the opposite side of the room from our main rig and easier for me to use.

I think the Bartok 2.0 without amp is actually closer to $18k now, the new version. And to be fair, it’s a different class of equipment on price and finish versus mk2

1 Like

There is a less than a year old La Scala on Audiogon right now for a really good price.

I totally agree. That’s why I am looking for a used Bartok. I just missed one for $10K two days ago. Another will appear sooner or later.

I wasn’t impressed with the DCS Bartok

Happy Cake Day @Brad_Gray!

What didn’t you like about the Bartók?

How did you get data to it?

But Vince, relative to this thread topic, I’m not sure I’d seen yet anywhere where you may have mentioned how your fully decked out MkI sounds compared to the MkII (given its current early FW). Was your first comment in this thread with that perspective?

Yes. While the Beta was going on, I didn’t think it was fair to do an assessment. It wasn’t part of the Beta as far as I was concerned.

Nor did I mention testing against the TT2.

1 Like

Thanks Ted regarding this correction, I have removed the original MKII modding list with the exception of the Lundahl LL1948 transformers…

1 Like

I have felt the same way ever since that display and control system was adopted for the PST.

6 Likes

I agree this display design looks old-fashioned, but if it’s less noisy that’s a good thing. I will say, though, that I really would like a display that I can see from farther away.

5 Likes

They really should provide a set of opera binoculars with each purchase. :joy:

4 Likes

Sample of 1; Gen Z audio Luddite; does she even care (or notice) the difference in sounds?

I know, proud papa.

2 Likes