DSD Mk II - What Streamer?

I got it now, Just to be on the safe side I thought I would mention it.

Thanks
Bob

1 Like

Thatā€™s one of the awesome things about this forum. Thereā€™s enough of us with enough experience to tackle most questions or issues.

2 Likes

That is True. Also you never see any nasty fighting postā€™s.

3 Likes

Oh we had some interlopers a while back, but the regular crew along with the steady and fair hand of @Elk eventually made it clear that this isnā€™t that place. I will admit it was tense at times, some of which I myself take responsibility for escalating. They were annoying at best.

1 Like

Please forgive me for expanding (inverting?) your topic, but Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s worth swapping my DS Mk1 for a Mk2, given that my most frequent source is now an Innuos Zen Mini which I use to stream from Qobuz (seldom hi rez selections). I had hoped for an Air Lens, but didnā€™t want to wait for it to become available. I connect the Innuos to the DS via an MIT Reference digital coaxial cable. The sound quality falls far short of what I get with the PerfectWave transport, cabled with a Wireworld Platinum Starlight.
So to generalize your question, will the benefits of the DS Mk2 be realized with an only moderately resolving source and cable?

Too true! Roon ready is the new remote.

1 Like

Thanks for the input, makes sense good to know.

Thanks Vince for your insight.

1 Like

I know everyone here likes I2S best, but it seems like you guys are limiting your options of steamers using I2S instead of USB, there are a lot more great streamers using USB.

Geez. This looks like a bit of a bargain.

2 Likes

PS Audio is all about i2s. I2s uses an HDMI cable to send the signal from one device to another. Buyers of the AirLens will use it to connect an Ethernet source to the DSD MK2 via i2s. It replaces the Bridge 2 functionality. If you never used a Bridge 2 card you can ignore the AirLens.

If you have a streamer that uses the AES/EBU output to your MK1 you donā€™t need anything new as the MK2 has an excellent AES/EBU input.

You donā€™t even need to study to find out why things are the way they are.

The AirLens is a product for many, but is not necessary or even useful to all. It is really only useful for those who are used to the Bridge 2 on the MK1 and are upgrading to the MK2.

5 Likes

Can the Mk1 handle the max DSD256 rate through AES/EBU? Isnā€™t it limited in throughput?

Not quite true. Itā€™s useful to folks like me who would like to send max DSD but rate streams in native mode to the DS DAC Mk1. I currently have a DS DAC Mk1 with my PST for SACDs and a Lumin T2 DAC/streamer for my local library. Would like to feed all digital through the fabulous DS DAC.

1 Like

AES/EBU is limited, not sure to what (my guess is DSD 128), so a single input will not work for DSD 256. The solution is two AES/EBU digital inputs which the DS Mk II has. The corresponding ā€œplayerā€ would also need two AES/EBU outputs to play DSD 256. The PST has this arrangement. As I understand it, each of the two inputs handles one channel of DSD 256 (and presumably all lower rates). This overcomes the data rate limitation.

Edit: I was corrected on what AES/EBU can handle; single connector DSD 64, two connectors DSD 128.

2 Likes

No. DSD 256 only outputs thru I2S on MK1. AES/EBU is limited to 192/24 I believe on most if not all devices. I could be wrong.

2 Likes

The DS MkIā€™s AES/EBU input supports a maximum of DSD64 via DoP at 176.4kHz, or up to 192kHz PCM.

With two AES/EBU inputs working in parallel, the DS MkII can also accept DSD128 via DoP or up to 384kHz PCM from sources that support this scheme.

1 Like

Itā€™s configured to the PS Audio IĀ²S pinout.

More DDCā€™s:

Vince

Are you still using a DDC between the Signature Rendu or going USB straight into the Mk II?

I am using USB from the Rendu, no DDC currently.

Between the galvanic isolation on the Rendu and on the MKII, I donā€™t know how anything gets through :innocent:.

4 Likes