DSD Playback with Roon on Direct Stream DAC

I just started using Roon with my direct stream DAC. Had been using JRiver exclusively.

I noticed that when I play via the USB, the max sample rate is up to 386kHz and max sample rate up to DSD128. When I play via the Bridge II, best setting available is up to 196kHz and no mention of DSD.

Is it not possible to play DSD files through Bridge II?

The DS DAC can accept DSD128 through USB (as you found) and I2S connections and DSD64 through the Bridge. Not sure why you can’t send DSD64 through the Bridge, but it could be a Roon issue. I’m not a Roon user so can’t help there.

Check the player DSP Sample rate conversion. Tap the glow light pn the bottom of the Roon screen which shows signal path, and select DSP. Sample rate conversion is there.

Make sure you’re not converting to a sample rate higher than the player can handle. Bridge ii is limited to DSD 64 IIRC. I no longer have a DSD Jr, but when I did, I found the DAC inputs (I2S and USB) sounded better than the Bridge ii. This is, of course - prior to the new firmware release. YMMV.

Here’s another image of where to make the changes:

Thanks for the help. I can’t seem to find the navigation path you found. However, it looks like my DSD is streaming over the Bridge II to DSD64.

I think the USB connection sounds slightly better. I thought the Ethernet might sound better than USB due to what I have read about ‘dirty nature of USB/Computer connection’.

Any thoughts on your experience comparing Bridge II connection to USB (or other options)?

I don’t use USB, only the Bridge for streaming and computer based files. So I can’t provide a comparison, sorry. I also use the I2S connection for the DirectStream Memory Player which is of no use in this comparison.

@raforstverizon-net,

I have the exact same setup as you do. Although on the Roon side I have all DSP processing turned off.

I find that playing DSD files via USB does sound better than the bridge. Even for a DSD64 source. There is just a bit more body to the music.

Having said that I mostly stream Tidal and MQA so I only switch to USB for critical DSD listening.

Check out NativeDSD.com if you want some really well recorded DSD files. They sound awesome via USB.

1 Like

Thank you for the information. What do you mean that you have DSD turned off on the Room side?

What USB cable do you use?

I have all digital signal processing (DSP) turned off on Roon to ensure it’s a straight pass through.

As for cable I have a Pangea USB cable. Not sure if it made much difference but I figured having a better insulated cable couldn’t hurt.

1 Like

In my experience, if you add galvanic isolation to the Bridge ethernet feed, SQ will be noticeably improved over standard USB no matter the cable.

1 Like

You are referring to the optical ethernet convertors (FMCs)?

Is there a specific product you use for this purpose?

Well, basic FMCs are the least expensive way. While effective they are subject to the noise created in the downstream FMC and its power supply. The power supply can be improved (inexpensively with a battery) and there are also more expensive (and likely more effective) options. Gigafoil, Sonore Optical Modules, and the forthcoming EtherRegen. All of these also likely benefit from a good terminal ethernet cable.

1 Like

I’ve been tempted by this route myself, but haven’t made the jump yet. Once you add the FMCs, LPSs, optical cables the costs are outstripping a simple USB->X-SPDIF 2->I2S method. Worth it of course should there be a large enough SQ increase but I’m not sure anyone has tried both approaches.

The basic setup (2 FMC’s, fiber cable, decent ethernet cable) is about $100… less than the cost of one of the cables for the Matrix -just sayin’.

I would not go to the expense of an LPS for the upstream FMC.

Sure, but a good LPS is over $300. :smile:

Thank you for the inexpensive option!

I can’t find the TP-Link CM110CS anywhere. Is that a typo?

You are correct… TP-Link MC110CS.