DSD "Unit ID" is blank

I recieved my brand new DSD yesterday. All is working fine so far, but the “Unit ID” field in the menu is blank. I have put the Sunlight files on the SD-card and flashed. No change. I have contacted support but I also wanted to check with you guys if you had any experience with this issue. Apparently the unit needs to be programmed with this ID with special tools (or replacing the screen itself is stated by the support).

Good day @Drem
Do you mean there is no identification on the screen of the DS DAC? When you flashed the unit, did you have all connections removed?

That is correct. It looks like this.

Yes when I first flashed it nothing was connected.

1 Like

I remember a few cases like this. Service helped the customers, and solved it.

1 Like

Yes I got a good feeling from the support. However I just recieved the unit yesterday, after quite a lenghty delivery (Im in Sweden) so I dont want to send the unit away. If the issue is with programming the screen, I am hoping they will send me a new screen to replace myself. I work with hardware / software so I feel quite comfortable with doing this. Its two cables and four screws for the screen. He assured me it would not void warranty.

No you won’t need to replace hardware! I am sure it is a software / programming matter.

Yes it is a software matter but without the special tools required for updating I would have to send it in. I waited for this unit for many months and finally recieved it yesterday. Sending it from Europe to the US would mean further months of waiting. And I just sold my previous DAC today…so I hope PS Audio can understand that I dont want to send the unit back the day after I received it. If the software update needed is in the screen itself I would rather have them flash a new screen and send it to me to replace myself.

It’s not used for anything anyway is it?

I read that its needed for syncing with some particular devices. Even if I dont need it myself right now, when I eventually sell it the next owner might.

I assumed for a product of this class, that every unit was tested before shipping out? I guess Im just a little bit surprised.

1 Like

They say, a customer who never had an issue is less loyal than a cutomer who had an issue that was resolved to their satisfaction. I am sure yours will be resolved and you’ll be happy. PSA solved similar issues in the past and customers were very happy. @jamesh will definitely lend s helping hand.

2 Likes

@Serhan - You are correct in the sense it is a programming matter. However it requires a device to communicate between the DAC and computer that most folks don’t have. Whereas the quickest, easiest solution is in my next statement to Drem.
@Drem - I hope the screen/screen board replacement solution is to your satisfaction, as we have discussed in email. I am preparing the order today. :slight_smile:
Also, we tested that update extensively and never had one case of the unit ID being wiped. I’m sure it will puzzle the engineers for a while.

2 Likes

I like the display replacement option. If I remember correctly, there was a way to program the unit ID in with a Bridge I but that was an absolute pain in the neck to do. On a side note, the only purpose the unit ID serves at this time is creating a hand shake with the DMP in order to send DSD from SACDs. Other than that, the DAC will work perfectly without it.

3 Likes

Thank you. Yes I am happy with that solution too and I appreciate the great service. :pray:

2 Likes

Thanks. I just want to make sure the product is 100% percent, especially for future owners of this unit who might require the unit ID.

1 Like

It’s the Bridge I method, you’re right, but is hard to do outside our internal network setup.

DMP software 2.10 and lower needed the unit ID and beta PST software needed it. It just kinda got annoying for different reasons and we developed other methods.

Great service gentlemen. Thank you.
Hi @Drem,
If you think fuses make a difference, you could try replacing the fuse when you open the DS DAC. Good luck.

1 Like

Indeed, that is world class service :pray::+1: I will consider the fuse replacement. Any particular brand recommendations?

Thanks

2 Likes

Personally, I am sold on to the German brand HIFi Tuning and I prefer copper to silver, though a tiny bit costlier. You will need to change just the digital fuse. The analogue fuse stays as recommended by Ted.

3 Likes

The analog fuse holder is not in a circuit. It was in the Perfect Wave DAC but not in the DSD.

3 Likes